Bernie Sanders- Does He Have A Chance?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Bernie Sanders- Does He Have A Chance?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Red wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:03 pm
brimstoneSalad wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:28 am If all of the liberals are staying home while all of the conservatives go around licking doorknobs because they think it's all a big joke, there could be a massively disproportionate death-toll politically even among the middle-aged.
You're saying this hypothetically, right? That younger progressives will be more cautious, and older conservatives will be less so? Do you think that younger people will be more cautious than older?
I'm talking about how fox "news" is covering this vs how the "liberal media" is covering it.

And young people can and do die from this too, just as they can and do from the flu. It's just more likely to be lethal for older people. Depends on your immune system though.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:09 pm I'm talking about how fox "news" is covering this vs how the "liberal media" is covering it.
I speculate this is due to Trump doing very little about this (I think it's because the next election is coming up, and he needs the economy to be in good shape), so the conservative think tanks are downplaying it, and vice versa with progressive ones.

If Hillary won the election and did about as much as Trump is doing right now, I think we'd be seeing the exact opposite happen.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Red wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:24 pm If Hillary won the election and did about as much as Trump is doing right now, I think we'd be seeing the exact opposite happen.
Perhaps, but she would not have done that. She would have taken this on immediately to get ahead of it and prevent the problem... and then nobody would know what they've been saved from and everybody would think the administration overreacted. Even any other Republican president would have acted more proactively, despite the greater risk to them from economic recessions.
FredVegrox

Post by FredVegrox »

I think there was a very major problem with a news outlet calling the news from other sources that they did not agree with fake news. This made huge problems in society.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

FredVegrox wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:37 am I think there was a very major problem with a news outlet calling the news from other sources that they did not agree with fake news. This made huge problems in society.
Ideologically slanted news coverage has caused a lot of problems resulting in echo chambers. And they're ideologically slanted to agree with their viewers for ratings. And they do that because of commercial revenue. Political polarization is a hard problem to solve.

Ideological bias including slander and conspiracy theories is much worse on the right currently (Fox news in particular for mainstream news), but it's hard to watch left leaning news coverage too (like MSNBC) without running into hosts who display visible bias and spin that while not necessarily completely false is extremely uncharitable to conservatives. These networks won't attract center leaning conservatives by offending them, thus further left skew over time.

If you're looking for less politically polarized news coverage, international news can help since they don't have the same stakes in U.S. politics.