Hello

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
aroneous
Diet: Vegan

Hello

Post by aroneous »

Hi folks! I'm from the U.S., I've been vegan for 6 years and was raised as vegetarian. Currently doing my doctoral thesis (computer science) in France. I'm very interested in discussing more about how veganism fits into the subjects of wild animal suffering and negative utilitarianism, and how technology can potentially be used to reduce the suffering experienced by sentient beings. And also how certain personal philosophies and practices (e.g. stoicism, meditation) can help us do more good in that respect. Nice to meet y'all!
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Hello

Post by Red »

Welcome to the forum aroneous! Very nice on your doctoral thesis, sounds like it's a tall order. What inspired you to get such a degree?

We've been interested in talking about things like negative utilitarianism and animal suffering; You should start a thread on it since it could be a very interesting discussion. Generally, the active members here adhere to altruistic consequentialism.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
aroneous

Post by aroneous »

Hi, thanks! Given my background, I guess there was always a bit of cultural bias towards me going into computer science, but if I could choose my field again there's a good chance I would go with neuroscience, nanotechnology, or robotics instead. Though I do quite enjoy the research I'm doing, and it is on the more practical side of things. It's not something that is directly related to animal welfare, but I do think that all areas of science have implications here.

Yes, I plan to make a thread on it! I think I would also would identify as an altruist (at least, I would sooner call myself an altruist than a utilitarian), though I tend to mesh it with utilitarianism in that I believe that it's important not to forget to factor in the longer-term utilitarian benefits of self-preservation when considering what we can do for others.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

aroneous wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:39 am Hi, thanks! Given my background, I guess there was always a bit of cultural bias towards me going into computer science, but if I could choose my field again there's a good chance I would go with neuroscience, nanotechnology, or robotics instead. Though I do quite enjoy the research I'm doing, and it is on the more practical side of things. It's not something that is directly related to animal welfare, but I do think that all areas of science have implications here.
A doctorate in Computer Science can still be a very useful thing in terms of helping out the environment, even if it's a little less direct, e.g. climate change analysis software, developing outreach tools, and maybe even programming animal welfare apps and platforms.

Also, a degree like that can be very lucrative, so that means more money you can donate to effective animal charities. I myself just graduated from undergrad with a degree in Civil Engineering and am planning on getting licensed eventually and working on green infrastructure projects. I've been thinking about grad school but I'm not too sure if would be a good fit for me (heh, you might know something about that, so I might start a thread myself on the topic!).
aroneous wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:39 am I think I would also would identify as an altruist (at least, I would sooner call myself an altruist than a utilitarian), though I tend to mesh it with utilitarianism in that I believe that it's important not to forget to factor in the longer-term utilitarian benefits of self-preservation when considering what we can do for others.
Doesn't prioritizing one's own well-being, with the intention of maximizing one's capacity to assist others and save more lives, qualify as altruistic behavior?
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome @aroneous, I'm glad you decided to join. I look forward to your posts.
Red wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:17 am A doctorate in Computer Science can still be a very useful thing in terms of helping out the environment, even if it's a little less direct, e.g. climate change analysis software, developing outreach tools, and maybe even programming animal welfare apps and platforms.
Or as an authority in the field of AI ethics as we develop AI worthy of moral consideration. It may become a big deal.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:11 pm Or as an authority in the field of AI ethics as we develop AI worthy of moral consideration. It may become a big deal.
I was keeping it in the realms of sustainability and animal ethics, which as a person who leans negative utilitarian, @aroneous would be more inclined towards.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I think he'd be very concerned with novel suffering of machine minds. That's a matter of negative utilitarianism as well (avoiding it).