Ways to Reduce Carbon Footprint (aside from Veganism)

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
teo123
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Ways to Reduce Carbon Footprint (aside from Veganism)

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote:I deleted your post
I don't think that's fair, but it doesn't matter too much. It's obvious from the last few posts that I am more educated about the topic than you are.
Red wrote:I don't believe you've actually finished your thesis
Well, I can't prove it to you that I did, because it will only be published onto DABAR around a month from now. Namely, I missed the deadline by a few weeks, and DABAR is currently not allowing uploads. I told them I missed the deadline because I was not able to work on the thesis because of my psychotic disorder (which is actually not true, I was able to), so they let me submit the thesis after the deadline without having to pay 2'000 kunas as penalty. But I am not able to start studying for a Masters degree this year nor will I immediately get a diploma (I will get a diploma somewhere in mid-December) nor will I immediately get my Bachelor thesis published on DABAR.
I will link you to my Bachelor thesis when it's available on DABAR.
Red wrote:climate change denial
I understand why climate change denial seems like an "incredibly harmful position". But you need to understand that the belief that methane causes a significant amount of climate change is also not harmless. In praxis, fighting methane emissions means replacing grass-fed cows with grain-fed cows (because grass-fed cows emit 3 times as much methane per a liter of milk), that is, more factory farming. Which is both an animal rights issue and a superbacteria issue.
And even more radical "solutions", such as banning the biggest methane emissions (banning milk and banning rice), will probably be devastating for public health. It will probably lead to lysine deficiency becoming even more widespread than it is now.
Red wrote:anti-COVID measures
You need to understand that the belief in lockdowns, especially the way they are implemented, is also an "incredibly harmful position". The inflation-causing stimuluses are incredibly harmful to the economy in the long run. That's so obvious that cannot even be sensibly debated. And I think it is at least possible, if not probable, that lockdowns themselves are harmful to the economy in the long run. Lockdowns probably create this fear of going bankrupt due to lockdowns which deters people from opening new restaurants, cafe-bars and other small businesses.
Red wrote:ignorant nationalism
Ignorant nationalists are those who haven't studied social sciences. I have studied social sciences, even published papers about them.
Red wrote:If you really have finished your thesis for undergrad, that shouldn't be too difficult.
Getting a job with a Bachelor degree in computer engineering and a mental illness in this economy? Are you serious? You realize the economy is now, by many measures, doing worse than in 2020?
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

teo123 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:28 pm I don't think that's fair, but it doesn't matter too much. It's obvious from the last few posts that I am more educated about the topic than you are.
:lol: Yep, you're definitely being provocative to get a reaction here. C'mon Teo, you can't be THAT bored.

I think it's totally fair, since you have been for the past eight fucking years now been making the same mistakes, roping people into long, drawn out, unfruitful discussions, and are often in violation of the forum rules, by repeating arguments that have been debunked to you already (particularly in regards to COVID).
teo123 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:28 pm Well, I can't prove it to you that I did, because it will only be published onto DABAR around a month from now. Namely, I missed the deadline by a few weeks, and DABAR is currently not allowing uploads. I told them I missed the deadline because I was not able to work on the thesis because of my psychotic disorder (which is actually not true, I was able to), so they let me submit the thesis after the deadline without having to pay 2'000 kunas as penalty. But I am not able to start studying for a Masters degree this year nor will I immediately get a diploma (I will get a diploma somewhere in mid-December) nor will I immediately get my Bachelor thesis published on DABAR.
k
teo123 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:28 pmI will link you to my Bachelor thesis when it's available on DABAR.
Sure, I'll read what ChatGPT wrote for you.
teo123 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:28 pm I understand why climate change denial seems like an "incredibly harmful position". But you need to understand that the belief that methane causes a significant amount of climate change is also not harmless. In praxis, fighting methane emissions means replacing grass-fed cows with grain-fed cows (because grass-fed cows emit 3 times as much methane per a liter of milk), that is, more factory farming. Which is both an animal rights issue and a superbacteria issue.
Or you can just... convince more people to reduce their consumption of animal products, particularly beef products? That's what I'm advocating for here.
teo123 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:28 pmAnd even more radical "solutions", such as banning the biggest methane emissions (banning milk and banning rice), will probably be devastating for public health. It will probably lead to lysine deficiency becoming even more widespread than it is now.
Interesting you say that since I don't ever recall advocating for the banning of beef, dairy, and rice.

Also, Lysine, do five seconds of research for once in your life.
wiki/index.php/Nutrients_of_Concern#Nut ... al_concern

And yes, I trust the wiki more than I trust you.
teo123 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:28 pm You need to understand that the belief in lockdowns, (blah blah blah typical ignorant COVID denial talking points)
Teo, you have given me exactly zero reason to believe anything you say. You have an incredibly terrible track record going back nearly a decade, easily the worst I've ever seen, worse than Creationists; You were a Flat Earther, you deny massacres, you denied the existence of airplanes, prisons, bombs, guns, and Vladimir Putin, believed murder should be legal, supported anarchism, believe in souls despite being an atheist, deny science when it suits you, think you know more about science because you study an incredibly niche topic in linguistics, deluded into thinking Croatia is the best country on Earth, and now you're denying climate change and COVID responses, even though you've been told time and time again that you should by default go with experts since you never know what the hell you're talking about and your intuition is almost always wrong.

If you were wrong on all of that, why the hell would you be right on this? No Teo, I don't trust anything you say, and nor should anyone else.

Why should anyone trust you on anything? Just because you've corrected your insane beliefs, you always just latch onto another one. It's a fundamental problem with your psychology and thought process. You really need to see a therapist dude, there is some underlying psychological problem that causes you to veer off in such insane directions. I'm baffled someone can be this wrong so consistently for such an extended period of time, despite being corrected and shown the basics of epistemology.

Of course no one can be 100% right 100% of the time, even amongst the most reputable people. But in order to make up for past foibles, you need to show that you've learned how to think properly and advocate for sensible, correct positions. You have a LOT to make up for Teo, you'd probably need to figure out cold fusion or something.

Yes, the economy hurts, but it recovers. More people dying due to COVID would also be a big economic blow.
teo123 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:28 pm Ignorant nationalists are those who haven't studied social sciences. I have studied social sciences, even published papers about them.
Curious then, why do you believe Croatia is the greatest nation on Earth? Don't tell me here, do it in another thread.
teo123 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:28 pm Getting a job with a Bachelor degree in computer engineering and a mental illness in this economy? Are you serious? You realize the economy is now, by many measures, doing worse than in 2020?
1. A STEM degree makes it much easier to get a decent paying job, and yes, even in this economy (which has been improving; I mean hell, Croatia became a fully developed country in the past year or so). A lot of job security comes with a degree like that, and it isn't something 95% of people have. While it isn't guaranteed you'll find a job with ease, it's much easier than having nothing at all.
2. I think I've told you to see a doctor about this, but I think you also have some strange paranoia of doctors and medications, so that's a you problem.
3. I think you're using this as an excuse because you're work-shy. Getting a job with a computer engineering degree is certainly possible, if you play your cards right and seek mental health treatment.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote:Sure, I'll read what ChatGPT wrote for you.
If anything, I am doing the opposite of what artificial intelligence does when writing my Bachelor thesis. Artificial intelligence uses sciency style but writes nonsense. In my Bachelor thesis, I am describing a 4'000-lines-long program that works using a not-so-sciency style.
Red wrote:Or you can just... convince more people to reduce their consumption of animal products, particularly beef products?
That's what we hope happens when we do fear-mongering about methane. But what we are actually accomplishing is more factory farming.
Red wrote:And yes, I trust the wiki more than I trust you.
So, you are trusting what is supposed to be a vegan propaganda over somebody who is trying to do honest research. It's so sad.
Red wrote:believed murder should be legal
And I still believe that. I don't think making murder illegal accomplishes anything. There are some legitimate things done by the government. Probably any regulation that reduces the massive use of antibiotics in the egg industry is good regulation. So are regulations requiring the ISPs to properly set up their DNS servers, so that they can't be used to massively amplify denial-of-service attacks. But I fail to see what good a government can do about violent crime. Violent crime is a complicated problem.
Red wrote:think you know more about science because you study an incredibly niche topic in linguistics
You need to understand that nearly all scientists today are studying incredibly niche topics. Hardly any computer scientists works on famous problems such as P vs NP, because it takes ten years of research to publish something original. Everything you and I can write about P vs NP, even if we come up with it by ourselves, has been written decades ago (and, if we think we have discovered a proof of something important, probably long debunked). Compare that to attempting to apply information theory to the Croatian toponyms. If you come up with something yourself, chances are, it's actually a new idea, and there is a relatively good chance that it is a good idea.
Red wrote:your intuition is almost always wrong
And I am quite sure the actual reason people believe in lockdowns and similar epidemiological nonsense is because they trust their intuition instead of looking at the data.
Red wrote: If you were wrong on all of that, why the hell would you be right on this?
You need to understand that, up until 2010s, scientific consensus in epidemiology was focused protection. It's only in 2010s that epidemiologists started relying on simplistic computer models, and started believing that lockdowns work.
Red wrote:You really need to see a therapist dude
And I am seeing a psychiatrist. I've been taking Risperidone (against hallucinations and delusions), Biperiden (against shaky hands) and Alprazolam (against panic attacks) for years now.
Red wrote:Yes, the economy hurts, but it recovers.
And how do you know the apparent recovery was not due to stimuluses, and that the worst is yet to come?
Red wrote:More people dying due to COVID would also be a big economic blow.
How? The vast majority of people who died due to COVID were too old to work.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

The eternal struggle of giving Teo the attention he desperately craves so very much, or actually do something productive? So hard to choose.
teo123 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:24 am If anything, I am doing the opposite of what artificial intelligence does when writing my Bachelor thesis. Artificial intelligence uses sciency style but writes nonsense. In my Bachelor thesis, I am describing a 4'000-lines-long program that works using a not-so-sciency style.
Yeah OK. :lol: You can try covering up your AI use but I can see right through it.
teo123 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:24 am That's what we hope happens when we do fear-mongering about methane. But what we are actually accomplishing is more factory farming.
How
teo123 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:24 am So, you are trusting what is supposed to be a vegan propaganda over somebody who is trying to do honest research. It's so sad.
Well because the guy who is trying to "honest research" is more incompetent than 99% of people.
teo123 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:24 am
Red wrote:believed murder should be legal
And I still believe that.
See, you're still insane. This is what I'm talking about.
teo123 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:24 am You need to understand that nearly all scientists today are studying incredibly niche topics.
In the hard sciences (not a bullshit "science" like linguistics :lol: )
teo123 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:24 am Hardly any computer scientists works on famous problems such as P vs NP, because it takes ten years of research to publish something original. Everything you and I can write about P vs NP, even if we come up with it by ourselves, has been written decades ago (and, if we think we have discovered a proof of something important, probably long debunked). Compare that to attempting to apply information theory to the Croatian toponyms. If you come up with something yourself, chances are, it's actually a new idea, and there is a relatively good chance that it is a good idea.
And you would still not be competent at science as a whole. Even people in the hard sciences think they know more about other fields, look at Tyson.
teo123 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:24 am And I am quite sure the actual reason people believe in lockdowns and similar epidemiological nonsense is because they trust their intuition instead of looking at the data.
So if you think everyone else's intuition is wrong, why would yours be right?
teo123 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:24 am You need to understand that, up until 2010s, scientific consensus in epidemiology was focused protection. It's only in 2010s that epidemiologists started relying on simplistic computer models, and started believing that lockdowns work.
citation needed
teo123 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:24 am And I am seeing a psychiatrist. I've been taking Risperidone (against hallucinations and delusions), Biperiden (against shaky hands) and Alprazolam (against panic attacks) for years now.
Have you talked to your therapist about these insane beliefs you have?
teo123 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:24 am And how do you know the apparent recovery was not due to stimuluses, and that the worst is yet to come?
:roll: Of course it was due to stimulus packages. The worst to come probably won't be from COVID which we're well out of, it's probably gonna be due to the current Invasion of Ukraine if anything (knowing you, I'm probably going to regret saying that).
teo123 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:24 am How? The vast majority of people who died due to COVID were too old to work.
Old people still play a role in our economy. They provide free childcare (allowing the parents to work more), they are consumers, elderly care provides plenty of jobs, and a lot of them still work or do some sort of work even in old age. Also, like, the economy recovers either way... dead people can not.

Teo, you've derailed this thread enough. If you really want to debate this stuff, start NEW AND SEPARATE THREADS. If you make another one here it will be deleted.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

OK, @Red, my Bachelor thesis is available on DABAR.
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote:In the hard sciences (not a bullshit "science" like linguistics)
I don't think you understand what "soft science" means. Soft sciences are not "bullshit science", they are the most important sciences. The solution to the world hunger will probably come from soft sciences and not from hard sciences.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

teo123 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:05 am
Red wrote:In the hard sciences (not a bullshit "science" like linguistics)
I don't think you understand what "soft science" means. Soft sciences are not "bullshit science", they are the most important sciences. The solution to the world hunger will probably come from soft sciences and not from hard sciences.
:lol: Teo, you're so damn transparent. Do you really expect me to take what you're saying here as anything other than an attempt to bait an argument? Not only are you trying to derail the thread (though you already have done that), you're also trying to bring the soft science debate here because no one is responding to your posts in that specific thread, and on top of that the last time something was posted here was back in October. Knowing you and your history on the forum, what other conclusion can be reasonably drawn?

You're bored, and you want to annoy ME in order to entertain yourself. That isn't gonna happen bud. You ever consider that maybe this is why you don't have any friends?
-Leonardo da Vinci