Debunking the claim that Ramanujan received insights from a god

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Sicnoo0
Diet: Vegan

Debunking the claim that Ramanujan received insights from a god

Post by Sicnoo0 »

I want to develop a case against the claim that Ramanujan received insights from a god.

I think that the fact that Ramanujan studied mathematics from books is good evidence that he could have come up with his theorems without any help from a god.

If it were the case that he never once opened a mathematics textbook, then I'd be convinced he got external help from an entity with whom he communicated telepathically.

Additionally, his family were devout worshippers of the Hindu goddess Namagiri Thayar. He was raised believing in this deity. He was unwilling to leave India until his mom told him that Namagiri Thayar gave him permission. He adhered to a vegetarian diet because he believed Namagiri Thayar wanted him to do so, even despite his health complications, which he believed a vegetarian diet made worse.

That's pretty good evidence that he was devoted. The fact that he attributed his mathematical insights to the very same deity he grew up worshipping seems extremely convenient. If he had attributed his mathematical insights to a different god or goddess then I would be a little more convinced that it was true (that being said, it could be the case that this deity communicated with him because he worshipped her).

Without mincing words, I would say that Ramanujan had delusions as to the source of his theorems, due to the religious indoctrination he was subjected to from an early age.

Lastly, I'd like to add that at the heart of this is the idea that by opening your third eye you can communicate with divine beings. The phenomenon that I believe people refer to when they talk about opening your third eye is merely a form of meditation that some cultures have mistaken as being a method of connecting to divine consciousness.

Do I make a decent case against the idea that Ramanujan received insights from a god?

What other arguments can one make?

Bear in mind that I'm not dogmatic about this. I can be convinced in either direction and my goal is to believe whatever the available evidence suggests.

If you have an argument for/against I would love to hear it.