What do you think about Mike Huemer?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Re: What do you think about Mike Huemer?

Post by Red »

teo123 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:36 pm
http://philosophicalvegan.com/viewtopic.php?p=50131#p50131 wrote:Well it's lame and useless and written in Croatia by some guy who doesn't think prisons exist.
By the way, @mikeminima256, do you think prisons exist? If so, why?
Teo, do you really believe that the existence of prisons is a commonly debated topic?
Plus, stop being an instigator. @mikeminima256 Don't respond to him.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote:Teo, do you really believe that the existence of prisons is a commonly debated topic?
Well, one person I have asked this in real life doubts the existence of prisons. My relative Kristijan Golić, when I explained to him why I think prisons do not exist (Karl Popper's Principle of Rationality), and asked him whether he thinks prisons exist, he said: "Oh, what do I know? Ask some sociologist whether prisons exist, I am not an expert in the field.". He is diagnosed with schizophrenia, though, so maybe he should not count as a real-life person.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

teo123 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:09 am
Red wrote:Teo, do you really believe that the existence of prisons is a commonly debated topic?
Well, one person I have asked this in real life doubts the existence of prisons. My relative Kristijan Golić, when I explained to him why I think prisons do not exist (Karl Popper's Principle of Rationality), and asked him whether he thinks prisons exist, he said: "Oh, what do I know? Ask some sociologist whether prisons exist, I am not an expert in the field.". He is diagnosed with schizophrenia, though, so maybe he should not count as a real-life person.
You know it's pretty fucked up of you to try to convince your schizophrenic relative of your insane ideas, he doesn't need you to come in and start making him doubt other things about reality.

You might be schizophrenic yourself though.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:50 am
teo123 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:09 am
You know it's pretty fucked up of you to try to convince your schizophrenic relative of your insane ideas, he doesn't need you to come in and start making him doubt other things about reality.

You might be schizophrenic yourself though.
Well, back when we had that conversation, I did not know he had been diagnosed with schizophrenia.
Furthermore, what makes you think schizophrenia is a real illness, and not something made up as a result of political abuse of medicine?
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

teo123 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:39 pm Well, back when we had that conversation, I did not know he had been diagnosed with schizophrenia.
I don't think I believe you but either way you shouldn't be having this conversation with anyone anyway if you don't want to be viewed as insane.
teo123 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:39 pmFurthermore, what makes you think schizophrenia is a real illness, and not something made up as a result of political abuse of medicine?
tumblr_33caa6fa2d9060d1ebf32b7f13a3bf38_59ae975d_1280.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

@Woarna, you said you like Michael Huemer. What do you think about his anarcho-capitalism?
Avskum

Post by Avskum »

Libertarians are silly, and this guy seems to be no exceptions.
For me, most of it boils down to their bad conceptualizations of coercion and freedom.
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Avskum wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:14 am Libertarians are silly, and this guy seems to be no exceptions.
For me, most of it boils down to their bad conceptualizations of coercion and freedom.
Can you elaborate on that?
Woarna

Post by Woarna »

teo123 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:35 am @Woarna, you said you like Michael Huemer. What do you think about his anarcho-capitalism?
I like Huemer because of what he's written in terms of ethical vegetarianism and a paper I read by him on the Repugnant conclusion, otherwise I'm not an anarcho-capitalist and not a fan of it. Though I do think his Phenomenal conservatism is interesting. So overall I like some of his stuff and think he's smart but I do disagree with the libertarian tendency.
Avskum

Post by Avskum »

teo123 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:12 am
Avskum wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:14 am Libertarians are silly, and this guy seems to be no exceptions.
Can you elaborate on that?
They typically use "coercion" as a red herring and argue that their system is not coercive because it's based on volountary exchanges... but this ignores the fact that you will still die of starvation if you don't accept the terms of their system. Seems pretty coercive to me :D All forms of governance are coercive, it's a matter of finding the best one.

Another common theme is they believe negative freedom (i.e. absence of rules and regulations) is all we need to be fulfilled, but in reality this mostly applies to a small subset of people. Most people simply lack the resources to live freeer and happier lives, and this could be changed with more postive rights.

Being "free to choose" has no value if your choices are severely limited because everything is monopolized and worker exploitation is through the roof.