Are vegans turning people away from veganism?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
NickNack
Diet: Vegan

Are vegans turning people away from veganism?

Post by NickNack »

Basically this is just the question of which advocacy works best, calling people out for their bad habits and being more aggressive (not violent), or being more passive about it and telling people they are doing good for all the things they do. Do you tell them the hard truth or do you sugar code it basically? Like if someone says I only eat a little bit of meat, the aggressive advocate would be like "so the animal is only a little dead then?", where the more passive advocate would be like "good job for taking a step in the right direction". Which advocacy do you guys think is better for the animals and will turn people vegan quicker? And why do you think this?
TelepathyConspiracy

Re: Are vegans turning people away from veganism?

Post by TelepathyConspiracy »

Often times you should just assume they've already been given the friendly bubbly irrational patience of other vegan advocates... Usually it doesn't work anyways so being as brutally honest as possible and not treating people like they're psychological objects to be operated on is a great hill to die on... It NEEDS to be a philosophical paradigm shift in the individual, not some cultural hobby thing
EyesPi

Post by EyesPi »

I've never turned people off veganism like that but I'm from a densely vegan area. I am referring to my conversations with non-vegans.
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile »

The aggressive approach may be under rated and may work just as well or perhaps even better. I think we're inclined to not trust it because it's socially awkward.

I love how this was a 2020 post that got its first reply in 2022 and its second in 2024.I was honestly tempted to reply in 2026 and see how long we can keep that going with one reply every 2 years but nah I'll forget. Maybe we can turn it into a huge long discussion.