16/8 Intermittent Fasting Worth It?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
LucyT
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Reducetarian

16/8 Intermittent Fasting Worth It?

Post by LucyT » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Y'all are a bunch of scientific folks, so maybe you can help me out. I have read a couple of systematic reviews and meta-analysis' on intermittent fasting, and have been doing a lot of research, a lot of YouTube video watching and reading of other people's experiences. And I might want to try it out. However, I don't want to if it is not worth it in the long run.

I have been told by people who eat like crap that it will cause me to destroy my metabolism, I doubt my metabolism would crash due to not eating for 16 hours a day, and eating throughout the other 8, otherwise, the Jews and Muslims would have the worst metabolism due to Ramadan and Yom Kippur.

My questions would be this:

1. Does Intermittent fasting help with weight loss and can you provide evidence for it?

2. Does it have any other benefits to your metabolism?

3. Does it have any known long-term harms?

4. Is it worth it in the long run?

brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:34 pm

LucyT wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:43 pm
1. Does Intermittent fasting help with weight loss and can you provide evidence for it?
For some people, yes. For other people, no. Weight loss is very much habit and psychology driven, so for some people I.F. can really help them, but for others it may be useless or worse than useless and promote eating disorders.

I don't think there have been any good studies on what the distribution in probability between help and harm are. If you want to try it, I'd approach it cautiously.
LucyT wrote:
2. Does it have any other benefits to your metabolism?
3. Does it have any known long-term harms?
Metabolically, I don't think it has any credible benefits or harms.
LucyT wrote:
4. Is it worth it in the long run?
We don't know.

LucyT
Diet: Reducetarian

Post by LucyT » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:56 pm

@brimstoneSalad I have been told that the way it works has to deal with lessening insulin spikes for the hours that you don't eat. Do you think there is any accuracy to this claim?

Also, I am hoping that this helps me lower the number of calories I eat over time and stop grazing all day long. Do you think that it could potentially help with that?

brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:16 am

LucyT wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:56 pm
@brimstoneSalad I have been told that the way it works has to deal with lessening insulin spikes for the hours that you don't eat. Do you think there is any accuracy to this claim?
I think that's speculative and begs the question: does it work at all?
LucyT wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:56 pm
Also, I am hoping that this helps me lower the number of calories I eat over time and stop grazing all day long. Do you think that it could potentially help with that?
It might help you stop grazing, but that may not lower your calorie consumption depending on how much you usually graze and how much more you'll eat during those hours out of increased hunger.