The Greatest U.S. President that you have never heard of - James A. Garfield

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

The Greatest U.S. President that you have never heard of - James A. Garfield

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

If you ask the average yank "Who is Garfield?" and they will almost definitely describe Jim Davis' lovable cartoon cat who hates Mondays. If say the name "James A. Garfield" to them, you will be greeted with a blank stare. This is such a shame because James A. Garfield was a truly remarkable President. The fact that most yanks do not even know who he is pisses me off to no end.

Historians even forgo him from their rankings of Presidents due to the fact that his presidency was so short! This is truly vile as it ignores what he did while President and what he could have done if he had survived the assassin's bullet!

James A. Garfield bravely fought for the civil rights of African-Americans. He wanted to extend public education to blacks and he even appointed black leaders (such as Frederick Douglass) to powerful positions in government. This goes ignored by the Mainstream Media who blot Garfield out of history!

Here is an article about the 10 Best Presidents for Black America: https://thegrio.com/2015/02/16/10-best-us-presidents-for-black-america/

Why isn't Garfield on there? He should be Number One!

He was also an advocate of gold as national currency for the United States and he didn't trust the international capitalist bankers. He said "Whoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce."

He was assassinated just four months into his presidency by Charles J. Guiteau, a truly evil man. The fact that we have allowed such a great president to be forgotten means Guiteau has already won! Disgraceful! We will not forget Garfield!

Also, just watch this and check out what Garfield's "ugly fact" is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AywbxE1kec

If the worst thing that you can say about his presidency is that it wasn't long enough then that just shows you how great Garfield was.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Re: The Greatest U.S. President that you have never heard of - James A. Garfield

Post by Red »

What do you think of his Vice President and successor, Chester A. Arthur? Do you believe he was successful in continuing Garfield's policies for racial equality? And what about Arthur's presidency regardless of racial equality?

And I remember you ranked Garfield at #20 back in October. What caused you to start putting him in a higher tier?

BTW since President's Day is coming up, I'm gonna make a thread talking about the Presidents and which ones were my favourite and which I believe to be the most effective.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum

Re: The Greatest U.S. President that you have never heard of - James A. Garfield

Red wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:03 pm What do you think of his Vice President and successor, Chester A. Arthur? Do you believe he was successful in continuing Garfield's policies for racial equality? And what about Arthur's presidency regardless of racial equality?

And I remember you ranked Garfield at #20 back in October. What caused you to start putting him in a higher tier?

BTW since President's Day is coming up, I'm gonna make a thread talking about the Presidents and which ones were my favourite and which I believe to be the most effective.
I don't know much about Arthur or his views regarding racial equality. If he did achieve much on this front, then I don't know whether it is a conspiracy, but it seems awfully suspicious that I didn't hear about that or about Garfield's racial equality.

I know a lot more about Garfield now and that is why I rank him higher. I researched him mainly because his name was "Garfield" as a matter of fact!

Here is my ranking list now, colour coded for your convenience:

Blue = Very Positive
Blue-Purple = Positive
Purple = Neutral, or I don't know enough about them
Purple-Red = Negative
Red = Very Negative

1. Franklin D. Roosevelt
2. Abraham Lincoln
3. James A. Garfield
4. Theodore Roosevelt
5. John F. Kennedy
6. James Madison
7. Jimmy Carter
8. Thomas Jefferson
9. George Washington
10. Ulysses S. Grant
11. Barack Obama

12. John Quincy Adams
13. Woodrow Wilson
14. James Monroe
15. John Adams

16. Chester A. Arthur
17. William McKinley
18. Benjamin Harrison
19. Rutherford B. Hayes
20. William Henry Harrison
21. Martin Van Buren
22. Zachary Taylor

23. Lyndon B. Johnson
24. Harry S. Truman
25. Bill Clinton
26. William Howard Taft
27. Gerald Ford
28. Grover Cleveland
29. James Buchanan
30. Dwight D. Eisenhower
31. Richard Nixon
32. Andrew Johnson
33. George H. W. Bush
34. George W. Bush

35. Herbert Hoover
36. Andrew Jackson
37. Calvin Coolidge
38. Millard Fillmore
39. Ronald Reagan
40. Donald Trump
41. Warren G. Harding
42. John Tyler
43. Franklin Pierce
44. James K. Polk

Shall we end this little signature-war of ours then?

Also, I look forward to hearing your views on the Presidents.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Post by Red »

Hey Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, have you seen this video by Libertarian/Conservative think tank PragerU?
https://youtu.be/dcINPY21pVA
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum

Red wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:06 pm Hey Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, have you seen this video by Libertarian/Conservative think tank PragerU?
https://youtu.be/dcINPY21pVA
Yes, I had seen it. And the title gets two things very very wrong: I know who Coolidge was, and he was a shit President!

His policies, along with those of Harding and Hoover, led to the Great Depression. The economic boom that happened under him was not due to his actions (or lack thereof), but mainly due to the First World War.

My title is far more accurate because Garfield was a brilliant President and most people haven't heard of him.