Is antinatalism a valid ideology? Does it have a negative effect upon the vegan movement?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Is antinatalism a valid ideology? Does it have a negative effect upon the vegan movement?

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:34 pmI agree with 1-3, I'm iffy about #4 because it may harm children of low income families
If nutrition and education opportunities are not impaired, I don't think childhood poverty is necessarily a bad thing. It would, however, be a bad thing for the parents as they would have to cut other expenses to afford the child. Hopefully this would act as a deterrent for planned parenthood among lower income families.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Is antinatalism a valid ideology? Does it have a negative effect upon the vegan movement?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:35 amIt would, however, be a bad thing for the parents as they would have to cut other expenses to afford the child.
I don't think that's how it actually happens in practice. Very often I fear it's the other way around; irresponsible parents continue doing most of whatever they would have done, and are just negligent.

If you're hurting the parents that's fine, but you'd have to make sure you're not harming the children and I don't think there's any way to do that.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:27 pm I don't think that's how it actually happens in practice. Very often I fear it's the other way around; irresponsible parents continue doing most of whatever they would have done, and are just negligent.

If you're hurting the parents that's fine, but you'd have to make sure you're not harming the children and I don't think there's any way to do that.
Please clarify what you mean by harming. Most developed nations have controls against inadequate education and nutrition. If those conditions are met, how can the child be harmed economically? There could even be an argument that childhood poverty benefits the child later in life.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:40 pmMost developed nations have controls against inadequate education and nutrition.
Very poor ones. The issue is it's hard to catch. And that's not all there is to it: there's also abuse and neglect.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:41 pmthere's also abuse and neglect.
Abuse and neglect is common in wealthy homes as well. There is probably some correlation, though.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:07 pm
brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:41 pmthere's also abuse and neglect.
Abuse and neglect is common in wealthy homes as well. There is probably some correlation, though.
In think it's strongly correlated and resource dependent; such as if you can afford daycare.

Almost anybody can be a good parent a couple hours a day, but when the kids are running around all evening it's harder to be a good person, particularly after a long day at work. Abuse isn't excused, but there are reasons for it.