Gray Sloth response to PV on #namethetrait

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Gray Sloth response to PV on #namethetrait

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Daz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:53 am
brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:48 pm
Daz wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:25 pm This is quite amusing. Are you actually legitimately suggesting that directly picking up a knife or gun and purposefully exploiting/abusing/killing/harming an innocent being for "pleasure" (human animal or non-human animal) is morally the same as accidentally harming or killing an innocent being as part of the natural randomness of life's (and the universe's) many interactions?? Please answer this before I address your other points...
No, that is not even remotely what I said.
Just to remind you that you have already acknowledged the point I am making and agreed with me...
This just indicates that you have not been paying attention or trying to understand what I'm explaining to you.
You're too busy making assumptions and talking to listen.

Here is what I'm saying (I've modified your words so maybe you can understand it this time):
Buying meat which you know will result in a higher probability of others exploiting/abusing/killing/harming an innocent beings on your behalf (especially if you don't want that harm), and doing the buying/eating for "pleasure" (human animal or non-human animal) is morally the same as knowingly with the same higher probability of harm accidentally harming or killing an innocent being (OR NOT doing so, by dumb luck) as part of the natural randomness of life's (and the universe's) many interactions in the course of entertaining yourself through non-meat based entertainment aka "pleasure".
The exchange is fundamentally this:

KNOWINGLY accepting HIGHER RISK of harm to others in exchange for PLEASURE for yourself.
It doesn't make a difference whether that harm comes from eating meat or driving a car.

It DOES make a difference if:

1. You do not or can not reasonably know, in which case you don't know it's higher than doing nothing
2. You explicitly WANT the animals to be harmed (from a virtue ethic perspective), again not all meat eaters want this
3. The probability of harm is higher or lower (making it worse or better respectively)
4. The action is done out of more necessity vs. entertainment/pleasure.

These variables were different in your claim, which is why I disagreed with it.
Daz wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:25 pm This is quite amusing. Are you actually legitimately suggesting that directly picking up a knife or gun and purposefully exploiting/abusing/killing/harming an innocent being for "pleasure" (human animal or non-human animal) is morally the same as accidentally harming or killing an innocent being as part of the natural randomness of life's (and the universe's) many interactions?? Please answer this before I address your other points...
This IS NOT remotely what I'm saying. It's a ridiculously ignorant straw-man of the position I am explaining.

#2 and #3 are immediately violated, it does not imply the latter is done for pleasure alone which violates #4, and #1 is violated by way of not clarifying the probability increase with certain actions.

These are completely different situations, morally.

Can you understand your mistake here?

It took many days to get you to understand why #NTT as originally formulated is not technically logically valid.
Maybe we can do this a little faster?
Daz

Post by Daz »

Daz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 am
brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:30 pm
First, whether you do or do not happen to actually hit anybody or anything is irrelevant. The fact is that you put their lives at risk for your entertainment.
A drunk driver who kills somebody is morally the same as a drunk driver who does not and engages in the same behavior but got lucky. Both should be (morally) partially guilty of negligent manslaughter by their collective actions.

Maybe that's what's confusing you. It's the odds that matter.

You knowingly put their lives at risk, with the knowledge you will probably kill some, and you did it for nothing but your own pleasure (e.g. driving to go see a movie).

That is what is a valid comparison to killing animals for taste pleasure.
You are not aware of what you are saying here.. There are a certain amount of people/animals killed every year accidentally from manufacturing shoes. And televisions. And your clothes that you wear. And your electricity that powers your lights. And the system in place for water to come out of your tap on call. And your computer you are typing on. And your phone. And the construction of homes and apartment buildings, the wood that must be chopped down to go into that, or the concrete that must be manufactured. You, i am sure, are aware of this. No different from the driving example. Even the money you make, how do you think they manufacture that, what do you think happens in that process and how many people/animals do you think are killed? If you have any of these things or participated in any of these processes you're equally knowingly putting their lives at risk for your "entertainment" with the "knowledge you will probably kill some, and you did it for nothing but your own pleasure"... NOT a valid comparison to directly and purposely stabbing/shooting, exploiting, abusing, torturing, confining and killing animals (or humans) or paying directly for any of these things to happen, for pleasure.

I'm sorry but you are so confused here. You are appealing to the futility of doing literally anything. . Good luck with that.
Nothing about the analogy is confusing me, it's the ludicrousness of it that I am discussing. And, just as a side note, of course the odds play a role. If I knew that I would kill someone EVERYTIME I drove, or even every few times, or every ten times, or even once a year guaranteed, I wouldn't do it. You are seriously saying the odds have no moral relevance to the situation? Touch wood, personally I've never hit any person or animal while driving for my entire life, however if I did i know it would be a horrible experience that I would do everything to avoid, which is exactly what I do now and I drive as carefully as I possibly can. Of course I have hit insects though and these do count for something. But same thing goes for when I take a walk in the park and accidentally step on a snail, or ants.

Point is, we must live, and we are free to move. Things will die by accident as a result and certainly not just from driving (this is laughable that you focus in so hard on this while so many other things right in front of you cause similar accidents). Purposely and knowingly engaging in cruel practices of direct death, torture, suffering, exploitation, confinement and pain is a completely different thing, and certainly completely different from an ethical and moral perspective in regard to how one should conduct oneself, you have already admitted to this so why keep going?
Again, using your example of driving to the movies or watching a movie at home, if I can show you that you will cause significantly more (accidental) harm in the world as a result of a lifetime of living freely, compared to whatever immediate harm you may cause by killing yourself, would you go ahead and jump of a tall building? Would you think it a moral obligation to do it and that you are behaving in an immoral way if you don't? :roll: Of course you wouldn't and it's ridiculous to entertain this line of thought.
@brimstoneSalad i'll wait till you respond to this and then we can keep discussing if you like...
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Daz, please don't spam the same reply repeatedly.
If you'd like to post another reply, you can actually respond to my post.

Otherwise, you can wait for me to have time to respond to this prior comment (If I do get time; you may have to wait a few days).

None the less, you were WRONG in your assertion that I agreed with you. I explained why.
Daz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:53 am Just to remind you that you have already acknowledged the point I am making and agreed with me...
Would you care to apologize for this straw-manning?

If you'd reply to my post, I can get to a response sooner.
You made an incorrect assertion, I challenged you on it, and yes you need to reply to that.

I will get to your other comment and reply to it as soon as you address that. Otherwise, you may have to wait a while.
Daz

Post by Daz »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:18 am Daz, please don't spam the same reply repeatedly.
If you'd like to post another reply, you can actually respond to my post.

Otherwise, you can wait for me to have time to respond to this prior comment (If I do get time; you may have to wait a few days).

None the less, you were WRONG in your assertion that I agreed with you. I explained why.
Daz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:53 am Just to remind you that you have already acknowledged the point I am making and agreed with me...
Would you care to apologize for this straw-manning?

If you'd reply to my post, I can get to a response sooner.
You made an incorrect assertion, I challenged you on it, and yes you need to reply to that.

I will get to your other comment and reply to it as soon as you address that. Otherwise, you may have to wait a while.
Yeah thought you may not have seen what I wrote because that was the crux of my last response to you and you didn't respond to it at all, you addressed something else... So you saw it and ignored it? Regarding whether you agreed with me as to the assertion that comparing directly engaging in killing etc of animals or paying someone to do it, to driving on the roads, is not a valid comparison, I don't mind if you don't. If you say you don't agree you don't agree, no problem, maybe I misinterpreted what you said in an earlier post. Wasn't straw manning you.. Anyway, when you get time to respond to my earlier post, i'm interested to hear what you have to say. Also I reposted your full response with my reply because I was responding to everything you said in that response (initially I didn't quote your entire post which I should have because I am addressing everything in it).. Did you delete that?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Daz wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:03 amIf you say you don't agree you don't agree, no problem, maybe I misinterpreted what you said in an earlier post. Wasn't straw manning you.. Anyway, when you get time to respond to my earlier post, i'm interested to hear what you have to say.
Sure, I'll try to address it today.
Daz wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:03 amAlso I reposted your full response with my reply because I was responding to everything you said in that response
No need to repost an entire reply. It's only useful for context if you break it down into multiple short quotes (quoting an entire reply in a block is discouraged since it stretches the page and makes it harder for people to read).

Otherwise, you can just cut a snip, and the quote function will still give me a notification.

Even something like this will create a notification:

Code: Select all

[quote=Daz post_id=36161 time=1514541806 user_id=4391]...[/quote]
Daz

Post by Daz »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:55 pm
Daz wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:03 amIf you say you don't agree you don't agree, no problem, maybe I misinterpreted what you said in an earlier post. Wasn't straw manning you.. Anyway, when you get time to respond to my earlier post, i'm interested to hear what you have to say.
Sure, I'll try to address it today.
Still going to address this?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Daz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 amYou are not aware of what you are saying here..
I'm quite aware, you're just not seeing the forest through the trees.
Daz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 amThere are a certain amount of people/animals killed every year accidentally from manufacturing shoes. And televisions. And your clothes that you wear. And your electricity that powers your lights. And the system in place for water to come out of your tap on call. And your computer you are typing on. And your phone. And the construction of homes and apartment buildings, the wood that must be chopped down to go into that, or the concrete that must be manufactured. You, i am sure, are aware of this.
You could throw in growing vegetables in there, and producing meat.

Which harms are we obligated to avoid? The ones that are not necessary? Because most of those are not necessary in the strictest sense.

There is a baseline of harm that occurs from supporting our lives.
AND when we can, it's good to reduce that harm.

Do you deny this?

The question of whether having a TV (which lasts maybe 10 years) is more harmful than driving to the movie every week (doing it over 500 times) is relevant.
IF you regard entertainment as necessary at all.
There's also the option of doing neither and doing even less harm.

All the harm you cause for entertainment is done for pleasure. Not necessarily the pleasure of harming others, but just the pleasure of pleasing yourself.
As I said, most meat eaters aren't exactly taking pleasure in the idea that animals have died, they just enjoy eating meat.

Talking about all of these harms as if there's no way to prevent ALL of them so we shouldn't even try to prevent SOME of them is an appeal to futility. That's what you're doing.
Daz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 amNo different from the driving example. Even the money you make, how do you think they manufacture that, what do you think happens in that process and how many people/animals do you think are killed?
Very very few; that's the important consideration, and what I'm trying to explain to you.

When we work on changing our lives and society (and it DOES take work), we have to focus on the things that do the MOST harm for the LEAST benefit.

We focus on addressing the low hanging fruits like animal agriculture (we advocate reducetarianism and vegansim) and grid power (we must go nuclear).
Those are the biggest issues.

Beyond that we have things like human poverty, disease, and wild animal suffering. Worrying about people smashing bugs on the way to see movies is too far down the list to spend time on.
Daz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 amIf you have any of these things or participated in any of these processes you're equally knowingly putting their lives at risk for your "entertainment" with the "knowledge you will probably kill some, and you did it for nothing but your own pleasure"...
Correct. And we're not perfect people.
Daz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 amNOT a valid comparison to directly and purposely stabbing/shooting, exploiting, abusing, torturing, confining and killing animals (or humans) or paying directly for any of these things to happen, for pleasure.
You're just making things up now.

1. Most people who eat meat are literally NOT directly doing those things.

2. What the hell is "paying directly"? And why does that matter?
No they are not handing a slaughterhouse worker money and telling them to do this. They are paying indirectly (in a clear chain), through the store, through the distributor, through to the producer. There are probably more middlemen there than between you and some movie productions.

There is a causal chain there, and it doesn't actually matter how long that chain is, whether it's one link or a hundred. The fact is that you're causing harm by your actions. The relevant question is how much harm vs. the benefit.

With meat, it's a lose-lose proposition.
It's harming YOU (or us as humans), and it's harming the environment and animals.

With going to see a movie, you may be smashing some insects, but you're enriching your own life without significantly harming your health, and you're providing very enriching and fulfilling employment to a lot of people, and the environmental and animal harm are pretty small.

There's a much weaker argument against doing the latter than buying meat.
Daz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 amI'm sorry but you are so confused here. You are appealing to the futility of doing literally anything. . Good luck with that.
I'm not appealing to futility. I'm saying we should act against the worst harms whatever they are.
You're the one appealing to futility and then drawing an arbitrary line and making up sophistic excuses to justify not caring about some harms.
Daz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 amAnd, just as a side note, of course the odds play a role. If I knew that I would kill someone EVERYTIME I drove, or even every few times, or every ten times, or even once a year guaranteed, I wouldn't do it.
Then you understand it's wrong to do other things for pleasure too, when they put others at risk.
Daz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 amYou are seriously saying the odds have no moral relevance to the situation?
No, I'm saying precisely the opposite.

Odds DO matter. And everything we're talking about is statistical.

If you go to the deli and purchase one slice of salami a year, for pleasure, that could have lower odds of killing an animal than driving to the movie theater once a week, for pleasure.

Calculate your total odds.

You can say eating meat is generally worse than seeing movies, but you can not say that eating a very very small amount of meat is worse than driving to see a large number of movies. The question is amount and total odds.

It's a valid comparison, that doesn't mean the two are equal.

Just like it's a valid comparison to compare animal agriculture in some ways to slavery, and that doesn't mean we're asserting they are equal.

Doing harm to others for pleasure is doing harm to others for pleasure; in greater amounts it is a greater wrong, in lesser amounts it's a lesser wrong.
Daz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 amBut same thing goes for when I take a walk in the park and accidentally step on a snail, or ants.
Right, we do things for our enjoyment which harm animals.
The fact that they are orders of magnitude less than the act of eating meat is what matters. But they still can be compared. Denying that comparison rather than addressing amount of harm is not helpful.
Daz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 amPoint is, we must live, and we are free to move. Things will die by accident as a result and certainly not just from driving (this is laughable that you focus in so hard on this while so many other things right in front of you cause similar accidents).
I'm not focused just on that. I don't know how you could have gotten that idea from what I wrote. It's just one example.
This claim of yours is an appeal to futility.
Daz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 amPurposely and knowingly engaging in cruel practices of direct death, torture, suffering, exploitation, confinement and pain is a completely different thing,
If anybody was actually doing this, then that might be a different thing from a virtue ethics perspective. Do you subscribe to virtue ethics?

Somebody could buy meat without purposely engaging in any of that, they could do it reluctantly and with the hope it won't hurt animals. They could want for it not to happen, and just know there's a risk of it.
When you drive to the movies, you aren't purposely killing insects, are you? And yet it is inevitable. You know this and you do it still.
Daz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 amif I can show you that you will cause significantly more (accidental) harm in the world as a result of a lifetime of living freely, compared to whatever immediate harm you may cause by killing yourself right now, would you go ahead and jump off a tall building?
No, because negative utilitarianism is nonsense.
The good you do matters too.

You would have to show that somebody was going to do so much more harm than good in their lives that the surplus of harm outweighed the harm of suicide.
Daz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 amWould you think it a moral obligation to do so and that you are behaving in an immoral way if you don't? :roll: Of course you wouldn't and it's ridiculous to entertain this line of thought.
Another straw man, and in the form of a false dichotomy.
That's not a yes or no answer.

What do you think a "moral obligation" is? You're using deontological reasoning here.

We can easily say that something is bad or good in outcome, that some action is good or bad.

Do people have an obligation to always act in maximally good ways and never do anything bad, no matter how small? Does the smallest wrong just make somebody a bad person?
Or should we assess character with consideration of circumstance? And even consideration of the consequences of assessment?

These are important questions which you have not considered.
Daz

Post by Daz »

Lol I think you missed the point. I am addressing your ridiculous assertion that eating animals (meat) is comparative to driving a car. That's it. All my examples highlight why it is a ridiculous comparison. And yes if you pay for meat, that is directly paying for an animal to be killed. And if that animal is coming from factory farming (which is 95% of the meat out there) it is done in a horrible hellish way. There's no way around that. Direct link, regardless of how many middle men. Just like if I paid to have someone killed. It is surprising you are resisting this, and that it seems so hard for you to get your head around.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Daz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:51 pm Lol I think you missed the point.
I think you've been asking me for a week to reply to your post, and I took my time to reply point by point, and you either haven't even read it or can't be bothered to try to understand what I was trying to say (probably because it challenges your irrational dogma) and do the courtesy of replying to MY post point by point so we can identify the disagreement and correct your misconceptions.

You need to respond properly to my post.
You demanded that from me, and now it's your job to do the same.

Answer the questions I asked you in my posts. All questions from BOTH posts.
Daz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:51 pmI am addressing your ridiculous assertion that eating animals (meat) is comparative to driving a car. That's it. All my examples highlight why it is a ridiculous comparison.
Another straw man from you. How dishonest can you be?

I at no point used the word "comparative", and the only point I used "comparable" (implying equality) was when I said driving to the theater might be comparable to eating a couple chocolate covered crickets if it will probably kill a couple bugs (a very very small amount of meat). It is not "comparable" (implying equal) to eating a hamburger or eating meat generally.

Driving and eating meat can be compared, and I explicitly said that didn't mean that they were equal or similar in magnitude of harm.

Since you don't understand the definition of "contradiction" and think it means a double standard, it's no surprise you can't comprehend the meaning of "compare" to be anything other than "consider equal in every way". :roll:
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/compare

A bicycle can be compared to a private jet as a means of transportation. Doesn't mean they're approximately the same in terms of speed, fuel consumption, safety, cost, or embodied energy. All of these things are different, and viable metrics of comparison.

They can be compared in the way slavery can be compared to animal agriculture; in certain, specific ways, and in terms of both being things that cause unnecessary harm to varying degrees.

You're making the same ridiculous mistake carnists make when they complain about vegans making comparisons, saying vegans are claiming these things to be the same.

If you think these two are not comparable, and that's it's ridiculous to compare them:

1. Driving to the theater for entertainment & buying some chocolate, which you know will cause an average of two insects to be killed.
2. Buying & eating two chocolate covered crickets for entertainment, which you know will cause an average of two insects to be killed.

...then you're the one who is ridiculous. This is a serious argument vegans have to contend with. It may be an incorrect comparison for some reasons, but dismissing it as ridiculous without giving a valid reason why they are not comparable (or how the comparison fails) is dogmatic and cultish.

You're in effect claiming one harm doesn't matter because it was an accident, despite knowing it would happen.
We already established you wouldn't drive if you knew you'd kill somebody by accident every time you did, so clearly you don't even believe that matters.
Daz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:51 pmAnd yes if you pay for meat, that is directly paying for an animal to be killed.
I asked you what you thought the definition of "direct" was. Apparently it's a very odd definition.

Do you think you aren't directly killing animals with your car when you go to a movie?

Anyway, if you're saying it's not direct if it's only a chance, then no it isn't direct: not the way the system is set up.
It increases the chances of more animals being killed.

Read this thread:
http://philosophicalvegan.com/viewtopic.php?t=2806
Daz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:51 pmif that animal is coming from factory farming (which is 95% of the meat out there) it is done in a horrible hellish way.
Yes, the insect on your windshield probably died quickly and painlessly.
Do you think it's fine to kill animals painlessly if they don't know it's coming?

There are differences, as I've said, but the issues can still be compared. Also, some other animals you HIT with your car, like birds and mammals, may suffer for hours on the roadside.

Daz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:51 pmIt is surprising you are resisting this, and that it seems so hard for you to get your head around.
As before, it's not I who misunderstands the issue. You're using words in bizarre ways and you don't comprehend the actual issue being discussed here.

You need to respond at more length, point by point, if you want help understanding whatever you're confused about.
This isn't that complicated.
FredVegrox

Post by FredVegrox »

Gray Sloth wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:51 pm Hey, we talked on twitter about this and you wanted me to bring it here, so here I am. I will just re-post what I said there here so you can respond.

I know this has already been explained to you extensively, but let me have a go at it. There is nothing arbitrary about name the trait, it's starting axiom is valuing human life, so unless you are going to tell me you either don't value human life or you think valuing human life is done for no particular reasons, this starting axiom is not arbitrary. Sure it's subjective, because valuing human life is subjective, but it's done for good reason because we are humans and we value our own lives and each other, so it's an objective fact that we subjectively value human life for reasons that are non-arbitrary.

From there we ask the question, what trait absent in animals, that if absent in a human would justify not valuing that human's life? This question is not only not arbitrary, the point of this question is to eliminate invalid or arbitrary traits that only cause contradictions. For example saying "animals are less intelligent" is invalid because we would not accept treating humans with intelligence equivalent of animals with no value, and saying "Humans are humans we don't need to care about the value of other species" is arbitrary because species is just an arbitrary line functionally no different than race or religion, and of course we would not accept our lives being treated as having no value on the basis that we are a different species.

Naming the trait is done to expose double standards and arbitrary justification in our treatment of animals through non-arbitrary logical consistency, the only two axioms it requires is believing human life has value and not accepting illogical contradictions. So unless you want to bite the bullet on this one and be a proud misanthropic hypocrite there is nothing arbitrary about #NameTheTrait.

In addition to that, reading your post here you make some very silly arguments against #NameTheTrait that to me demonstrate you don't really get it.

Divine command is only a valid argument if you can prove god exists and that is indeed his command but even that would create all sorts of questionable philosophical dilemmas, for example if god commanded you to be raped, would you accept god's command as legitimate? Personally I would not, I would not accept being raped even if it was a provable knowable command of a real god, so it is a contradiction to accept god's commands as valid in one context if I would reject in another. The fact that God is just made up fairytale bullshit just makes "Divine command" as a justification even more retarded.

Saying "I don't care about animals" would only be valid if you would accept me slaughtering and eating you with the justification "I don't care about you", but because we both know no one being intellectually honest would accept that, it is a contradiction to accept "I don't care" as a justification in one context and reject it in another.

Going down the "Moral subjectivism" and "Cultural moral relativism" road means you have to accept that Hitler in fact did nothing wrong because the value of human life is only subjective so it doesn't matter and Nazis just have a different equally valid cultural morality. However just because something is subjective, doesn't mean it's made up or just arbitrary or that you can't apply logic to it. I can explain to you why the Nazi's were contradicting themselves by gassing the Jews, because no Nazi would simply accept themselves being gassed on the basis of their race or religion. It's not arbitrary that what the Nazi's did was wrong, it was wrong because it was logically inconsistent with their subjective belief in the value of their own life.

I could keep going but basically, rape, slavery, genocide, they are not just wrong because I don't like them, I can explain why they are wrong logically because it would be a contradiction for any intellectually honest person to inflict those things on others when there is no trait absent in others that if absent in themselves would make them accept it being inflicted on themselves. On twitter you seemed to indicate that you could explain the flaw in my reasoning here, so I look forward to your response.
Yes we value human life, that is, we should. But why? There are reasons but really chief among them is that we are all feeling beings, we are sentient, and we all value our own lives, and the seeming exceptions that are suicidal yet had valued their lives until seeing they were overwhelmingly cheated and in great pain, that they want escape from. Animals that we use are no exception to these things, and much more, such as bonds made with immediate family, and those who have pets could come to see that. So really making animals an exception to what we care about for humans, and maybe our own pets, is specieist and really what is arbitrary.