I have a confession:

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Re: I have a confession:

Post by Red »

RedAppleGP wrote:Well that's really all up to which vegan you ask. Some vegans like Bruce Friedrich are concerned about how ethically treated the animals are (animals being the ones people eat duh), and other Vegans are concerned about the animals all together (See Gary L. Francione), and are concered more about their freedom. I take the Francione approach.
The Francione approach? o_O
EquALLity wrote:I don't agree with them about that. :P
Why would it be wrong to milk a cow and drink the milk, in and of itself?
Well first of all that's not your milk, it was a baby calves'. He was the one that the milk was for, not humans.Now this is juust me, but I find it weird that we take and drink milk that is from another species. If you ask me, that's kinda repellent. Not to mention that it does more harm than good.
EquALLity wrote:
If there is meat already purchased, and it would go to waste anyway, it would do no wrong to eat the meat.
But then you'd be the reason that the animal died. Can't really be justified..
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Dizzy wrote: Well shit, dawg, I guess I'll continue to eat meat, but not buy it, I'll just steal it from peeps' tables when they aint lookin.
Unless they're rich people, and will just buy more meat after you steal their meat. So, you'd have to steal their money too so they can't buy more meat -- you wouldn't want to do that, right?

Better to take the meat off the plate after the wasteful ungrateful peeps "finish eating" and walk away. It saves the meat from being thrown away, and since those people were already "full" (for a few minutes, anyway) they won't buy more right away.
No, why should I steal from poor folk? Jesus said to give to the poor, not take away! I'll steal it from the rich folk with their money!
If you know any shopping malls, those are great places to nab free food.
Yes ok i might do that
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Yo Dizzy, who is that handsome man in your profile picture?
-Leonardo da Vinci
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

RedAppleGp wrote:Well first of all that's not your milk, it was a baby calves'. He was the one that the milk was for, not humans.
Well if the calf doesn't get milk because of that, of course that's an issue. But I'm saying that use is not abuse; I'm saying it's not wrong to take the milk if no harm comes to the animals.
RedAppleGP wrote:.Now this is juust me, but I find it weird that we take and drink milk that is from another species. If you ask me, that's kinda repellent.
Ok, but that doesn't make it wrong.
RedAppleGP wrote:Not to mention that it does more harm than good.
I think you might be saying this because you're thinking of factory farming.

There doesn't have to be harm done to milk a cow just because harm is typically involved with our farming today.
RedAppleGP wrote: But then you'd be the reason that the animal died. Can't really be justified..
What? Why?

The person who bought it would be in the wrong; he/she is the one actually causing suffering.

So you think that if my friend is eating a chicken or something, and gets full and decides to throw away the leftovers, that it would be unethical for me to eat the rest? :?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

EquALLity wrote:
RedAppleGp wrote:Well first of all that's not your milk, it was a baby calves'. He was the one that the milk was for, not humans.
Well if the calf doesn't get milk because of that, of course that's an issue. But I'm saying that use is not abuse; I'm saying it's not wrong to take the milk if no harm comes to the animals.
Well I'm not saying it's 100% immoral, but the cow didn't even get your permission to take iut's milk. It wasn't originally intended for you, it was intended frot he calf.
EquALLity wrote:
RedAppleGP wrote:.Now this is juust me, but I find it weird that we take and drink milk that is from another species. If you ask me, that's kinda repellent.
Ok, but that doesn't make it wrong.
I knew that wasn't exactly relevant, it was just me giving my 2 cents on drinking cow milk.
EquALLity wrote:
RedAppleGP wrote:Not to mention that it does more harm than good.
I think you might be saying this because you're thinking of factory farming.
Well, most milk that is taken from cows does come from factory farms.

There doesn't have to be harm done to milk a cow just because harm is typically involved with our farming today.
EquALLity wrote:
RedAppleGP wrote: But then you'd be the reason that the animal died. Can't really be justified..
What? Why?

The person who bought it would be in the wrong; he/she is the one actually causing suffering.
Well you were the reason that the animal had to die. An animal in a farm suffered, got slaughtered, which eventually ended up on your plate. Maybe not a direct cause, but still, you purchased an animal for consumption.
EquALLity wrote:So you think that if my friend is eating a chicken or something, and gets full and decides to throw away the leftovers, that it would be unethical for me to eat the rest? :?
When it's all stripped down to the bare bones, I'd say yes. I mean seriously, you're eating the remains of what was once a sentient being. Just because you ate the remains doesn't cancel out the fact that you are eating the remains of an animal. but hey thats just me.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

RedAppleGP wrote: Well you were the reason that the animal had to die. An animal in a farm suffered, got slaughtered, which eventually ended up on your plate. Maybe not a direct cause, but still, you purchased an animal for consumption.
Only if it was purchased for you (personally, or depersonalized as in food at a soup kitchen is purchased for the people who eat there), or your friend bought extra because he or she knew you would eat it when he or she was done, or eat less to leave some for you (then eat more later).

If your eating that meat caused others to have less meat to eat, so they went and bought some more later, that's a problem.

If you're getting it out of the trash or off a plate that will be going in the trash, and it would certainly have been wasted in any other way, and nobody else was going to eat it, and more was not bought so you could have some, and this act will not cause more to be bought in the future, etc. then there's not necessarily any problem.

There are a lot of fake freegans, who are actually just moochers. That's very different.
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

RedAppleGP wrote:Yo Dizzy, who is that handsome man in your profile picture?
Jesus Christ, my lrod and savior.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Dizzy wrote:

I got a more HD picture of him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

RedAppleGP wrote:
Dizzy wrote:

I got a more HD picture of him.
Did u do that in ms paint? It looks really nice but Jesus is not white.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Why thank ya' mate! My friend told me I should make him white, aside from the fact that Jesus lived in Jerusalem..
-Leonardo da Vinci