The Tavern

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Re: The Tavern

Post by Red »

PsYcHo wrote:Astro turf maybe? Personally, I prefer desert landscaping. Nicely raked sand, cacti, stones placed strategically, no maintenance. If the sight of green plants
oh like a desert?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Hey fellas, I've been thinking; I noticed that people like GradeAUnderA seem to get a lot of views and subs because he makes videos that talk about Kim Kardashian, reaction videos, and such. Is it true that people watch them because they can relate to him? I mean, i agree with some things he says, but I don't watch him because he's boring. I did some research for some theories, but I can't find shit. I did find the reinforcement theory and the selective exposure theory, but I'm not sure if those are what I'm looking for. Any hints?
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

RedAppleGP wrote:I did some research for some theories, but I can't find shit. I did find the reinforcement theory and the selective exposure theory, but I'm not sure if those are what I'm looking for. Any hints?
I think what you're looking for is "drama whore theory".
Videos like these capitalize on search terms and attract views from the fans and people interested in those celebrities, and those views drive more youtube exposure.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: I think what you're looking for is "drama whore theory".
Videos like these capitalize on search terms and attract views from the fans and people interested in those celebrities, and those views drive more youtube exposure.
I googled that, and I can't find any relevant answers. Do you have the right name?
-Leonardo da Vinci
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Finland is trying to reform their policy making process to include experimentation. Very exciting, and it had led them to implementing a basic income.

Forbes: "Finland has been pioneering a form of deciding upon public policy where people actually think through the problems at issue, ponder on them, consider solutions, test a few of them, and then implement the best."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2015/12/08/the-proper-explanation-of-that-finnish-universal-basic-income-story/#48e1385c738d
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Hey guys, I heard of this new app called Pokemon Go, and my friends just won't shut the fuck up about it. Now there is something I always wondered; What's so great about Pokemon? I played both Red And Blue version when my friend let me borrow it for the GameBoy, but I thought they were so boring. Seriously, all you do is press a button and just let the enemy take damage, and there's no dodging or counterattacking; you just have to take the damage like a bitch. Now there are some really good turn based RPGs (like Mario&Luigi SuperstarSaga) that require skill and timing to execute attacks and counterattack. Whereas in Pokemon, you just press buttons. The only thing you have to do is just memorize what the enemy is weak to, which isn't really all that hard. Am I alone on this?
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote:Finland is trying to reform their policy making process to include experimentation. Very exciting, and it had led them to implementing a basic income.

Forbes: "Finland has been pioneering a form of deciding upon public policy where people actually think through the problems at issue, ponder on them, consider solutions, test a few of them, and then implement the best."
That's amazing! My kind of politics: Science.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

RedAppleGP wrote:Hey guys, I heard of this new app called Pokemon Go, and my friends just won't shut the fuck up about it. Now there is something I always wondered; What's so great about Pokemon? I played both Red And Blue version when my friend let me borrow it for the GameBoy, but I thought they were so boring. Seriously, all you do is press a button and just let the enemy take damage, and there's no dodging or counterattacking; you just have to take the damage like a bitch. Now there are some really good turn based RPGs (like Mario&Luigi SuperstarSaga) that require skill and timing to execute attacks and counterattack. Whereas in Pokemon, you just press buttons. The only thing you have to do is just memorize what the enemy is weak to, which isn't really all that hard. Am I alone on this?
Pokemon Go may be stupid, but there is one plus side to it- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pIZOpwJL9o
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

I think pokemon go is actually rather good; it is making people that would otherwise stay inside and play video games there to go outside and get some physical and social activity into their daily lives.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

miniboes wrote:I think pokemon go is actually rather good; it is making people that would otherwise stay inside and play video games there to go outside and get some physical and social activity into their daily lives.
Am I the only one that thinks that's kind of.. you know, sad? People have to be encouraged by a video game just to go play outside, instead of because it's fun, or just to stay in shape? Honestly, call me a cynic or whatever term that applies in this situation, but I kinda think it's a new low for humanity. But I guess we'll (hopefully) be seeing more people starting to get more excersize.

We're gonna make America skinny again; One Pokemon at a time.
-Leonardo da Vinci