Ways to Make The Forum Better - Suggestions

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin
Diet: Vegan

Re: Ways to Make The Forum Better - Suggestions

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

The thinking of creating those forums was to give ideas on what other topics to discuss. I will merge as suggested.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:The thinking of creating those forums was to give ideas on what other topics to discuss. I will merge as suggested.

I took another look at the topics in them.

Off topic will probably mostly be about video games. Computers and tech being about operating systems and hardware- which will probably not end up having a lot of topics.

I'd merge computers & technology into Off topic. If there's anything that belongs in Science we can move it over after.

Volenta wrote: I agree. What about dividing it into a serious off-topic discussion category and a chit chat category (so not specifically science & technology)? The off-topic category is very mixed at the moment between serious and non-serious.
That's a hard distinction to make, topic-wise. I'm not sure how that would work?
Free From Religion

Post by Free From Religion »

I used to be on forums which had an "arcade" with random flash games and high scores refreshed monthly and it was a fun thing to do, and it encouraged people to return to the forum even if they weren't very active users. Just throwing it out there
"Remember that truth has nothing to fear from doubt. Truth withstands scrutiny. If anyone tries to convince you doubt is a sin while belief without evidence is a virtue... you can bet they are selling lies." -MystryBox
Shadow Fox

Post by Shadow Fox »

I would suggest maybe having a media and social area of the forum opened up to entice a lot of people who do not want to just talk about religion, vegan and have debates on all of that all the time.

So maybe do a little playtesting with something like.

Block Name: Social and Media

Gaming - Not just yo vydia games. Others too.
T.V, Movies - With a dedicated Brony thread...because ponies will make this place 20% cooler.
Anime, Comics, literature. - Have like a stickies recommended reading thread.
Fun and Games - A place where people can make non discussion worthy stupid forum games that so many people waste their time on.
Have a discussion thread who's purpose is nothing more than to leave notes or B/S to each other through posts. I am not sure if it works on all forums, but I have seen it far more successful than a chat box on a certain forum I go to back in its hay day many years ago. Its Chat thread and Fun and Games were the single most active places in the forum by far. If someone wants to yell or whatever. It goes here.
Music - Always an easy add on. A what are you currently listening to thread is mandatory.

A Chat box? Maybe?
Blogs? Is a possibility, have a link where you can see the titles of all of them and click to read them. I only post this as a example so you can see what I am used to looks like. I am not trying to advertise or nothing. http://www.anime-forums.com/blog.php

If we start getting enough members, we could try doing some Contests and stuff. Graphical, intellectual, and other fun ones where whomever is running it can have fun prizes for the winners. Last time I did something like this on a forum, it was a picture taking contest and I gave out cool cartoon plushies to the winners....but...this is when we get bigger as a forum.

Start mentioning your forum in your videos.
Have a stupid shit people say on your web forums video lol. - Here is what that idiot shadow fox said...blah blah blah...and no you are wrong because blah blah...now who is the most stupid? ...which ends up being me. People will flock just to see how stupid I am lol.

Add...color? Maybe take the grey and make it less drab? Like a light blue or something that is easy on the eyes and flows well with the style of font etc. People do like a stylish forum.

Those grey circles next to each of the forums. Replace them with something more stylish and colorful. Like one that has bright orange flames for if there is lots of activity there since your last visit etc.
We are all born Atheists, everyone of us. We are born without the Shackles of theism arresting our minds. It is not until we are poisoned by the fears and delusions of others that we become trapped in the psychopathic dream world of theism.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

I would suggest maybe having a media and social area of the forum opened up to entice a lot of people who do not want to just talk about religion, vegan and have debates on all of that all the time.
There is a spot for that: General Discussion Forums/ Off-Topic Discussion
Start mentioning your forum in your videos.
I do (except for the last video i released)
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

Can we have a report button for spam and other offenses that directly informs the moderators (by mail)? On the bottom of every post.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Volenta wrote:Can we have a report button for spam and other offenses that directly informs the moderators (by mail)? On the bottom of every post.
anyone know if thats easily done on php forums? If you spot spam, you can always PM me and I will delete the user and the spam.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

Volenta wrote:Can we have a report button for spam and other offenses that directly informs the moderators (by mail)? On the bottom of every post.
There already is. Locating the triangle with a exclamation mark in it is the report button.
She's beautiful...
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

dan1073 wrote:There already is. Locating the triangle with a exclamation mark in it is the report button.
Ah, I see. Never noticed it. Thanks.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

Why not advertise the forum to people on your social media websites, you would have a higher click through rate of people actually visiting the forum from your website and of course not all will make an account but I am sure a good percentage will create an account seeing as your drove them in from a social source.

Maybe start up special discussion's you only have here on the board and talk about them on your social media with a direct link in the WORDS you use to post to re-direct them back to that specific post...Example
"Things are get spicy here on the forums, we're talking about animal rights( the words 'animal rights' would be the link back to the forum about animal rights) give us your point of view on this controversial subject."

Just a suggestion!
Don't be a waste of molecules