I'm sorry if this sounds racist but. . .

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: I'm sorry if this sounds racist but. . .

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:10 pmby law anti-black racists *should* be underrepresented in the jury and removed in jury selection. If you control for that, do blacks still make up only 10% of potential jurors who aren't racists against black defendants?
Probably a lot more in Alabama or Oregon than in California. However, I don't know how they control for that. All felons are ineligible for jury duty. How would they go about identifying non felon racists?
brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:10 pm Jury duty pays very little, but for somebody who is otherwise unemployed that's a good daily wage. For others who make more at their jobs (disproportionately white) getting out of jury duty is going to be a prerogative. On the other side, many black jurors are at greater risk of losing their jobs for serving on a jury.
That should be considered. I think if we had a brain storming session we could come up with more examples. Full time students are usually exempt from jury duty a higher proportion of full time students are white.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:10 pmTrump was at 2.05 while Biden was at 2.4? :shock:
I agree that was shocking, considering Biden was leading in almost every battleground poll and Biden needs to win a lot fewer battleground states than Dump. People seem to think that Trump has some magic trick up his sleeve and because he won in 2016 despite being behind in the polls the same thing will happen again. Although I am already in quite big on Biden, I would have invested a lot more. Unfortunately, I don't have any work at the moment so there is a limit to how much I can lose.
Jebus wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:29 pmIt's that saying "bet a two dollars on this coin toss (one on heads and one on tails) and if it comes up heads I'll give you two dollars and five cents, but if it comes up tails I'll give you two dollars and forty cents"?
The coin toss doesn't work in this case since there are more than two horses in the race, most notably Hillary Clinton at 70! and Mike Pence at 90. However, if you bet one dollar on Biden at 2.05 you would either lose one dollar or make 1.05 dollar profit. Since he is currently at 1.97 you would lose one dollar or win 97 cents.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:10 pmWhat were the odds when you placed your bet on Biden?
A year ago I started placing bets on Warren and Biden. I think I got around 7 on both. The highest odds I got on Biden was 44 which was after the first few primaries.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:10 pmAnd did you bet on Trump being the Republican nominee too?
No, odds were always around 1.03 on Trump. Basically you would be better off putting your money in a savings account.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Some great comments in this video. If I white person said any of this, s/he would be hung out to dry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQEbUMX1uug
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:04 pmThe coin toss doesn't work in this case since there are more than two horses in the race, most notably Hillary Clinton at 70! and Mike Pence at 90. However, if you bet one dollar on Biden at 2.05 you would either lose one dollar or make 1.05 dollar profit. Since he is currently at 1.97 you would lose one dollar or win 97 cents.
I mean a coin can land on its edge, which seems a lot more likely than Hillary or Pence being the respective nominees at this point.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:10 pmI mean a coin can land on its edge, which seems a lot more likely than Hillary or Pence being the respective nominees at this point.
I can see Trump pulling out of an election he knows he will lose. In that case Pence would most likely get the nomination. I can't see how/why the democrats would pick Hillary if Biden dies or falls ill. I think they would probably try to seize on Cuomo's or Gavin's recent popularity surges?
PunkRockVegan

Post by PunkRockVegan »

What do you think about all these articles and social media posts featuring black businesses or a black vegans etc? For example, "10 black businesses to support" or "5 black vegans you need to follow on instagram". How does this help the cause exactly? It feels likes pandering or virtue signaling to me.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

PunkRockVegan wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:47 am What do you think about all these articles and social media posts featuring black businesses or a black vegans etc? For example, "10 black businesses to support" or "5 black vegans you need to follow on instagram". How does this help the cause exactly? It feels likes pandering or virtue signaling to me.
Likely to increase the number of racists.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:57 pm I can see Trump pulling out of an election he knows he will lose.
There was every reason for him to think he would lose the last election too.
Either he's too narcissistic to think he will, or he was planning to complain about the election being rigged against him and make a big deal of that.
Jebus wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:57 pmI can't see how/why the democrats would pick Hillary if Biden dies or falls ill. I think they would probably try to seize on Cuomo's or Gavin's recent popularity surges?
Yeah, I can't see Hillary every being the nominee. She ruined her chances last time.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:49 pm There was every reason for him to think he would lose the last election too.
The difference is that last time he could have saved face. Being runner-up in the POTUS race is not too shabby for a businessman with no political experience. On the other hand, not being reelected president is a big slap in the face, especially against a half-demented 78-year old.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:55 pm
brimstoneSalad wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:49 pm There was every reason for him to think he would lose the last election too.
The difference is that last time he could have saved face. Being runner-up in the POTUS race is not too shabby for a businessman with no political experience. On the other hand, not being reelected president is a big slap in the face, especially against a half-demented 78-year old.
I see what you mean.

You probably know this, but just FYI for anybody who doesn't, Biden isn't demented: he stutters. So when he's about to stutter while public speaking he jumps to a new word (as a technique to avoid stuttering) which makes him sound odd sometimes in the way he says things and how much he struggles.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:34 pmBiden isn't demented: he stutters. So when he's about to stutter while public speaking he jumps to a new word (as a technique to avoid stuttering) which makes him sound odd sometimes in the way he says things and how much he struggles.
He is actually not bad at delivering a prepared speech. He is just really bad at answering questions. I have had an interest in Biden since he came to my university in 1991. He used to be a lot more sharp. It could be lowered IQ due to aging but I think he is likely in the early stages of dementia. I still think he can do a decent job as president as he seems good at heeding the advice of others. The vice president pick will however be very important.