My father thinks he must eat meat because he has type-2-diabetes. How do I convince him that's not true?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
teo123
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

My father thinks he must eat meat because he has type-2-diabetes. How do I convince him that's not true?

Post by teo123 »

A few months ago, my father told me that some diabetologist from the USA looked at his blood test results and told him he had to eat more meat. When I asked my father what he meant by "more meat" (more protein...), my father told me he did not specify. How do I convince my father that he is, in all likelihood, wrong?
My father seems to believe a lot of bullshit about nutrition.
He told me his cardiologist told him he must not eat eggs because he has high cholesterol. As far as I know, nearly all nutritional scientists agree that's bullshit.
He also tells me not to eat pizza or some other pastry I like because the type of wheat it's made of doesn't contain some amino-acid that prevents methionine from rising the cholesterol, while some other type of wheat that the flour he is buying is made of contains that amino-acid. As far as I know, no such amino-acid (that counteracts the effects of methionine on heart health) exists. And, what's worse, when I asked him: "Do you know which food contains by far the most methionine?", he answered incorrectly, and was surprised to learn that the answer is sesame seeds. As far as I know, this methionine causing heart disease, while not complete bullshit, is also relatively bullshitty, as you would need to eat 300 grams of sesame seeds each day to raise your cholesterol levels by 5%, whereas a diet high in saturated fat regularly raises the cholesterol levels by around 30%.
He also blames my mother that the reason she got collon cancer is because she doesn't eat breakfast. As far as I know, no study supports that. There are some studies supporting the idea that ketosis lowers the incidence of cancer, but that also is far from proven.
And so on...
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: My father thinks he must eat meat because he has type-2-diabetes. How do I convince him that's not true?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I moved the forum and your last topic post got lost. It's relevant to this one. Here it is for reposting:
teo123 wrote:What to make out of the studies linking red meat consumption with type-2-diabetes?
Post by teo123 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:58 am

Recently, as I'm sure you know, there has been yet another major study linking red meat consumption with type-2-diabetes. What do you think, is that relationship causal? If so, how?

As far as I understand it, the mainstream science is that type-2-diabetes is caused almost entirely by fructose causing the liver to become resistant to insulin. But, if that is true, I'd expect red meat consumption and type-2-diabetes to be, if anything, negatively correlated.

Proponents of keto-diets (low-carbohydrate low-protein diets) sometimes claim that eating too much protein (that red meat is high in) causes type-2-diabetes, the supposed mechanism being that too much protein causes gluconeogenesis and raises blood sugar. But, as far as I understand it, that's bullshit, because gluconeogenesis is triggered by the pancreas hormone called glucagon, and has nothing to do with protein in blood.

I have heard some people claim that saturated fat (and red meat is relatively high in saturated fat), like fructose, causes the liver to become resistant to insulin. However, as far as I understand it, whether that effect exists at all is disputed, and therefore it can't be nearly as big as the effect of fructose. It can hardly be used as the explanation for the strong correlation between red meat consumption and type-2-diabetes.

I have heard some people speculate that it's the heme iron somehow causing the pancreas to produce less insulin, but that, as far as I understand it, doesn't agree with the data. People with type-2-diabetes almost always have higher insulin levels than people without type-2-diabetes, rather than lower.

I've heard some people suggest it could be that people eating a lot of red meat are eating less plants, and that it is something in plants that decreases the risk of type-2-diabetes. But what could it possibly be? I have heard some people speculate that omega-3-acids decrease the risk of type-2-diabetes, but, again, whether that effect exists at all is disputed, and it's difficult to imagine it is so big to explain the correlation between red meat and type-2-diabetes.

I was wondering what you think about that?