Does methane cause global warming?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
teo123
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Does methane cause global warming?

Post by teo123 »

Hi, @Red!
You told me to open another thread about it, so, here I go.
So, does methane cause global warming? I've heard one seemingly convincing argument that it doesn't, and I haven't heard any refutation. That argument is: "Methane cannot be causing global warming because, although its absorption spectre is wider than that of CO2, the frequencies that it absorbs almost entirely coincide with that of water (by far the most powerful and most abundant greenhouse gas). So, before some ray of light has been absorbed by methane, it has already been absorbed by water. CO2 is causing global warming because it absorbs some frequencies that water doesn't, but methane doesn't do that.".
How do you respond to that argument?
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Does methane cause global warming?

Post by Red »

teo123 wrote:I've heard one seemingly convincing argument that it doesn't, and I haven't heard any refutation.
Have you bothered looking for one? I don't even think you're interested in a refutation anyways. What conservative think tank did you get this piece of climate denialism from anyway?

Instead of framing this as an argument against methane's role in climate change, keep in mind that methane's role in climate change is supported by the overwhelming majority of experts on this matter; the knowledge discrepancy in this field between you and an atmospheric physicist is beyond tremendous. Knowing this, there must be a reason and explanation for what you're presuming to be a contradiction. A more honest and fair version of this question would be:
A more honest, intelligent teo123 wrote:Since the spectrum for methane's absorption for radiation is so narrow and comparable to water, how is it able to be one of the most potent greenhouse gases?
That is in fact a very interesting question! Let's see if we can break it down for you, Teo that I wished existed. While there is some truth to this, it isn't the whole story. Let's answer it by addressing the points maded in the post by the less honest, intelligent, and unfortunately real-life Teo.
teo123 wrote:Methane cannot be causing global warming because,
See, this is what I mean; You're making a claim, stop doing that and instead ask a question. I thought you were quoting something at first but I checked Google and it didn't turn up anything.
teo123 wrote: although its absorption spectre is wider than that of CO2, the frequencies that it absorbs almost entirely coincide with that of water (by far the most powerful and most abundant greenhouse gas).
Methane and water vapor have similar (that is, not identical) absorption spectrums, but the key difference is that methane absorbs infrared radiation at ranges that water vapor isn't capable of. It is within the infrared range for both, but at slightly different wavelengths (which make all the difference).

One of the things to keep in mind is saturation. Before human civilization, methane was a very rare gas in the atmosphere, especially compared to water vapor and CO2; Hence, adding much more methane than the Earth naturally has makes a much larger difference than would CO2 and water vapor would.

Adding more of other GHGs certainly makes a difference (as it is now), but their natural abundance doesn't make it as dramatic; you need to add a lot more for there to be a difference (which is what we're doing very effectively right now at the rate we're pumping it; that's why emissions in 50 years won't be as significant as the emissions we release today). But since things like CO2 are added to the atmosphere at such a large volume and rate, that's what makes them one of the biggest culprits, and makes up for that difference. After the primary absorption bands of the gas are saturated, additional molecules of it won't be as much as the ones before it. Combine that with methane being significantly more potent than water and CO2, there's your answer.

It's like having a shelf full of thrash metal albums. Adding one more thrash album to it isn't really spectacular but add a groove metal album (🤮🤮🤮🤮) and sure as shit it's noticeable. I'm sure you enjoy that dogshit though, Teo. :roll:

And what's worse, methane has the ability to break off into CO2 and water vapor when enough oxygen is present, so if you really think those other two are more important, you should still give a shit about methane.
teo123 wrote:So, before some ray of light has been absorbed by methane, it has already been absorbed by water. CO2 is causing global warming because it absorbs some frequencies that water doesn't, but methane doesn't do that.
I think I already addressed most of this. Again, they aren't identical, and let's also keep in mind that WHERE in the atmosphere it is plays a role. Water vapor is able to be more saturated in certain parts, while methane is able to be more broadly spread. Also, water vapor is less abundant as you go up in the atmosphere, while methane doesn't necessarily have a preference.

It's more accurate to think of them as both contributors to climate change, just at different ratios.

The thing to keep in mind about allt his is, the vast majority of methane and CO2 that is being added to the atmosphere is being done so by humans acting ignorantly and irresponsibly. It is well within our means to reduce and eliminate these, which is why they are so often highlighted. We do this by not consuming animal products, switching our grids to renewables and nuclear power, embracing GM technology to grow more food more efficiently, allowing forests to regrow naturally, and in general improving our infrastructure and culture to be more considerate of the climate.
teo123 wrote:How do you respond to that argument?
Like that. Any more questions, smartass?

The fact that methane has a much shorter lifespan in the atmosphere, and is one of the most potent, is what makes it so urgent, especially considering how much of a low-hanging fruit it is. Getting rid of methane would be a massive step in the right direction.

Does this adequately address your claim? If you were a sane and reasonable person it would be yes, but you'll find SOMETHING to fruitlessly argue, I know it.

Teo, you were been told LONG ago that if something is going against the scientific consensus, there's a good reason to be skeptical of it, and your intuition is certainly wrong if it seems convincing to you. It's almost always the case that the person giving this piece of information is either wrong or lying (or misrepresenting the facts, as it is here; See the definition of "Bullshit")rather than hundreds of thousands of concurring scientists making such a silly oversight. Why oh why do you refuse to understand this? I think because deep down, you're still the same paranoid, arrogant conspiracy theorist desperate to be in on some knowledge that 99% of sheeple are too stupid to know about. Oh sure, you've changed your views many times, but fundamentally, you are the exact same person you were when you joined the forum eight years ago arguing in favor Flat Earth.

If you really want to know responses to this, why not ask a climate scientist? They aren't hard to come by with the internet, just ask on Reddit, or one of the professors at your school. The thing is you have to actually be opening to LEARNING AND UNDERSTANDING instead of constantly shifting the goalposts, which you're so fond of doing. The people you talk with will likely become frustrated with you and give up on trying to argue.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote:keep in mind that methane's role in climate change is supported by the overwhelming majority of experts on this matter
How do you know that? Are you a climatologist? My perception is that the vast majority of climatologists say that CO2 (mostly from traffic) is responsible for almost all global warming, while some vegans are trying to contradict that and claim that methane is a significant greenhouse gas.
Red wrote:It is within the infrared range for both, but at slightly different wavelengths (which make all the difference).
Er... It isn't, see the diagram:
The frequencies of the biggest spikes of the methane absorption spectre are also absorbed by water.
OK, methane does absorb some wavelenghts of slightly less than 4 micrometers that water doesn't, but it's nothing compared to what CO2 does.
Red wrote:Combine that with methane being significantly more potent than water and CO2, there's your answer.
Methane is not more potent than water, it is far less potent than water. As for whether it is more potent than CO2, it is complicated. On itself it is, but in the Earth's atmosphere (full of water), it isn't.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

teo123 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:35 am How do you know that? Are you a climatologist? My perception is that the vast majority of climatologists say that CO2 (mostly from traffic) is responsible for almost all global warming, while some vegans are trying to contradict that and claim that methane is a significant greenhouse gas.
Then maybe you should stop trusting your perception.
https://www.iea.org/reports/global-meth ... ate-change
https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads ... _final.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospher ... ate_change
The concentration of CH4 has increased by a factor of 2.5 since preindustrial times, from 722 [697 to 747] ppb in 1750 to 1803 [1799 to 1807] ppb in 2011 (Figure TS.5). There is very high confidence that the atmospheric CH4 increase during the Industrial Era is caused by anthropogenic activities. The massive increase in the number of ruminants, the emissions from fossil fuel extraction and use, the expansion of rice paddy agriculture and the emissions from landfills and waste are the dominant anthropogenic CH4 sources. Anthropogenic emissions account for 50 to 65% of total emissions. By including natural geological CH4 emissions that were not accounted for in previous budgets, the fossil component of the total CH4 emissions (i.e., anthropogenic emissions related to leaks in the fossil fuel industry and natural geological leaks) is now estimated to amount to about 30% of the total CH4 emissions (medium confidence). {2.2.1, 6.1, 6.3.3} In recent decades, CH4 growth in the atmosphere has been variable. CH4 concentrations were relatively stable for about a decade in the 1990s, but then started growing again starting in 2007. The exact drivers of this renewed growth are still debated. Climate-driven fluctuations of CH4 emissions from natural wetlands (177 to 284 ×1012 g (CH4) yr–1 for 2000–2009 based on bottom-up estimates) are the main drivers of the global interannual variability of CH4 emissions (high confidence), with a smaller contribution from biomass burning emissions during high fire years.
For any reasonable person this is more than enough to answer the question, but since you aren't a reasonable person this won't be enough to convince you, so I'm not going to bother with you on this anymore.

While animal agriculture is a massive emitter or methane, it's also released by fossil fuels too, so you're wrong if you think this is some Vegan propaganda or something. And no, traffic is likely not the main emitter of CO2 (maybe in the average person's lifestyle it is, but giving up your car isn't as practicable as Veganism for the majority of people).
teo123 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:35 am Er... It isn't, see the diagram:
AGAIN, you're doing the same thing. You're making a claim instead of asking a question. Assume you are wrong (considering that you've been profoundly wrong countless times before) and try to learn. But the problem is, you're not interested in learning; That's why it's almost impossible to get anything through to you.
teo123 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:35 am The frequencies of the biggest spikes of the methane absorption spectre are also absorbed by water. OK, methane does absorb some wavelenghts of slightly less than 4 micrometers that water doesn't, but it's nothing compared to what CO2 does.
Yes and I already explained that since there is a lot more water vapor CO2 in the atmosphere by default, adding more isn't as dramatic as methane, since adding methane into the mix (which the atmoshphere has very little of) is what makes it much more potent. Did you just skip over that part? Did you just read the first line to my argument and ignore the rest because you presumed that it would be incorrect?
teo123 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:35 am Methane is not more potent than water, it is far less potent than water. As for whether it is more potent than CO2, it is complicated. On itself it is, but in the Earth's atmosphere (full of water), it isn't.
I already explained this. Teo, I think you need to read things more carefully, though at this point I think you're going to troll out of boredom, in which case I do not have time for it.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote:Then maybe you should stop trusting your perception.
Then what should I do instead? Ask my physics professor at the university (or, better yet, all three of them, to see if they will give me the same answer)?
Funny how that doesn't work to convince people on Internet forums that my understanding of basic informatics is correct. I sent my paper about applying informatics to the names of places in Croatia to two professors who teach informatics at my university, Franjo Jović and Anđelko Lišnjić, and Franjo Jović responded by saying that he thinks that the p-value of the k-r pattern in the Croatian river names is closer to 1/17 than to 1/300 because he thinks it can't be that a lot of entropy goes to morphology (as he calls it, "fleksija"), and Anđelko Lišnjić only had some objections to the way I presented my argument, but not to the argument itself. Yet people on the Internet forums are mostly convinced that informatics has nothing to say about names of places and that my understanding of basic informatics is somehow incorrect.
Red wrote:For any reasonable person this is more than enough to answer the question
Er... It doesn't say anything like "Methane is responsible for 30% of global warming" (which is what you are claiming, right?).
Red wrote:I already explained that since there is a lot more water vapor CO2 in the atmosphere by default, adding more isn't as dramatic as methane, since adding methane into the mix (which the atmoshphere has very little of) is what makes it much more potent.
I know that the effect of greenhouse gases on global warming is logarithmic. And the logical inference from that appears to be "We should not worry about greenhouse gases.". Just like the binary search runs in logarithmic time, and that's why you should not worry about the time it takes to do binary search.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

teo123 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:23 am Then what should I do instead? Ask my physics professor at the university (or, better yet, all three of them, to see if they will give me the same answer)?
Uh yeah that-that would be a good idea, though I'm not sure how much I can trust the quality of professors in Croatia.

I mean c'mon Teo, if you've been wrong so many times before and you admit that you've been wrong so many times before, why do you still think your perception is at all reliable, especially when it's on things that are so obviously and profoundly wrong? If I held half the beliefs you had (flat earth, prisons not existing) and realized they were wrong, I would've stopped going with my perception a long time ago.
teo123 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:23 am(insert incredibly irrelevant anecdote that no one asked for or cares about)
Teo, what point are you trying to make when you give these stories no one asked for?
teo123 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:23 am Er... It doesn't say anything like "Methane is responsible for 30% of global warming" (which is what you are claiming, right?).
Literally when you click the first link:
30%stat.PNG
Do I really need to hold your hand through this shit? Did you just not click the links, and just looked at the quote I cited? If you're going to continue this streak of laziness I'm not going to debate this topic anymore with you.
teo123 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:23 am I know that the effect of greenhouse gases on global warming is logarithmic. And the logical inference from that appears to be "We should not worry about greenhouse gases.". Just like the binary search runs in logarithmic time, and that's why you should not worry about the time it takes to do binary search.
And how did you arrive at that idiotic conclusion?

Teo, I don't have time for this shit. Stop with the arrogance and start focusing on learning rather than making claims. I know you won't though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote:Literally when you click the first link
How did they calculate that? Did they take into account that the vast majority of methane absorption spectre is covered by water? If so, I might take their calculation seriously.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

teo123 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:55 am How did they calculate that? Did they take into account that the vast majority of methane absorption spectre is covered by water? If so, I might take their calculation seriously.
Why are you so damn lazy Teo that you can't click the link to the site and LOOK into it for another thirty seconds:
https://www.iea.org/reports/global-meth ... s#abstract

Since you've continued your streak of laziness, I'm done arguing this with you. I don't care if you take the calculations seriously or not, since you haven't given me or anyone else any reason to give merit to any doubts you have about something that is a scientific consensus.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:17 pm
teo123 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:55 am How did they calculate that? Did they take into account that the vast majority of methane absorption spectre is covered by water? If so, I might take their calculation seriously.
Why are you so damn lazy Teo that you can't click the link to the site and LOOK into it for another thirty seconds:
https://www.iea.org/reports/global-meth ... s#abstract

Since you've continued your streak of laziness, I'm done arguing this with you. I don't care if you take the calculations seriously or not, since you haven't given me or anyone else any reason to give merit to any doubts you have about something that is a scientific consensus.
Searched with CTRL-F for "water", "H20", "vapour"... nothing shows up.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

teo123 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:38 pm Searched with CTRL-F for "water", "H20", "vapour"... nothing shows up.
And I already explained that in my previous posts. I'm done here with you.
-Leonardo da Vinci