Brief introduction

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
mbco@totalise.co.uk
Diet: Vegan

Brief introduction

Post by mbco@totalise.co.uk »

Hello all, I am a retired man living in Wales. Having become a vegetarian in 1980, it took me until 2013 to transition to vegan, which makes me feel ashamed. It is so easy!

I have been involved in politics and the trade union movement ever since I founded a branch of the National Union of School Students in the 5th year at school. I am very much on the Left.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Brief introduction

Post by Red »

Hello mbco, welcome to the forum. Don't feel too bad about taking so long to go Vegan, you've been doing it for ten years, much longer than most people have even tried.

What inspired you to go Vegetarian back in 1980?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
mbco@totalise.co.uk

Hi Red

Animal welfare. I am grossly overweight, a testament to the fact I didn't do it for my health!
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

mbco@totalise.co.uk wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:36 pm Hi Red

Animal welfare. I am grossly overweight, a testament to the fact I didn't do it for my health!
I hope you've been trying to lose some of the weight.

Do you participate in any activism?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
mbco@totalise.co.uk

Yes, I am actively involved in a number of aniumal rights/welfare and other political organisations.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome, I hope you like it here!

Don't feel too ashamed, it wasn't so easy in 1980.
Red wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:04 pm
mbco@totalise.co.uk wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:36 pm Hi Red

I hope you've been trying to lose some of the weight.

Do you participate in any activism?
Of course it's hard to help others when we aren't in good health. Might want to contextualize that, though.

Ethics can lead back around full circle to health sometimes.
mbco@totalise.co.uk

Thanks brimstoneSalad - beer has been the main reason for my overweight, a bad habit, made all the easier by the availability of so many fine vegan ales! But without that sort of distraction, I'm not sure how well I would have coped with the awful state of the planet.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

mbco@totalise.co.uk wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:30 pm Thanks brimstoneSalad - beer has been the main reason for my overweight, a bad habit, made all the easier by the availability of so many fine vegan ales! But without that sort of distraction, I'm not sure how well I would have coped with the awful state of the planet.
Thankfully sentiment is improving with more people at least worried about the problem, but alcohol isn't the best antidepressant -- it seems to work short term, but can make matters worse over time. If you're attempting to self-medicate for depression, you may want to make an appointment with a doctor to look into antidepressant options. There may also be some herbal or supplement options if you're opposed to medication (again, talk to doctor about what you want to try because some may have interactions etc.).