Dr. Fauci on wearing masks. WTF?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
teo123
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Dr. Fauci on wearing masks. WTF?

Post by teo123 »

Sorry for not responding for so long, the university has been killing me.
thebestofenergy wrote:An example why force wouldn't mean burden of proof is seatbelts mandates
Actually, I do think seatbelt mandates have a burden of proof. Maybe that burden of proof has been met. Maybe not. But I am quite sure the burden of proof for mask mandates has not been met.
thebestofenergy wrote:helmet mandates
Again, maybe the burden of proof has been met for this. Maybe not. Either way...
thebestofenergy wrote:self defense
Well, it is complicated. And quite different from government mandates.
thebestofenergy wrote:speed limit regulations
Well, to be honest, I am a bit skeptical whether they work. Obviously, they might lead to false sense of security or false sense of danger.
thebestofenergy wrote:arrests to stop harmful behavior
Well, it is hard to tell. Cops are not perfect.
thebestofenergy wrote:or to a cop arresting someone trying to detonate a bomb and kill others
Well, again, it is complicated. Cops are not perfect. They may be deluded that there is a bomb which somebody is trying to detonate. In which case, yes, it is useful to ask them for a proof beyond reasonable doubt.
thebestofenergy wrote:The fact that masks help and save countless lives has been proven way beyond reasonable doubt for anyone that isn't a complete moron, and scientific consensus supports that.
Calling me "a complete moron" does not prove you are right.
thebestofenergy wrote: But not all experts agree seatbelts help
Seriously? Where are those experts? Where are those large-scale studies like the Danish study finding no effect for seatbelts?
thebestofenergy wrote:those experts who think that seatbelts help, they mostly think seatbelts provide only marginal protection
As far as I know, all the experts agree seatbelts reduce your chance of dying in a car accident by at least a half. The same is obviously not true for masks.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

teo123 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:17 am Sorry for not responding for so long, the university has been killing me.
Don't worry, I won't bother wasting my time with you anymore.
You don't answer my questions and dodge them over and over, make strawmen all the time, and you don't address my main points because you're dishonestly closed-minded and biased, constantly choosing to willfully ignore the stuff that has been said over and over that shows how what you say is ridiculous. So it's really pointless arguing with this level of dishonesty.
teo123 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:17 am
thebestofenergy wrote:The fact that masks help and save countless lives has been proven way beyond reasonable doubt for anyone that isn't a complete moron, and scientific consensus supports that.
Never said call you a moron would prove I'm right or wrong, but the statement is true nonetheless. And the fact that this statement is true definitely shows I'm right beyond reasonable doubt.
Besides, I have to prove nothing. You're the one with the burden of proof for the anti-scientific-consensus, lunatic, and extraordinary claims you have been making. Until you prove you are right, your constant nagging of this issue is just annoying and meaningless.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

thebestofenergy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:58 am
teo123 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:17 am Sorry for not responding for so long, the university has been killing me.
Don't worry, I won't bother wasting my time with you anymore.
You don't answer my questions and dodge them over and over, make strawmen all the time, and you don't address my main points because you're dishonestly closed-minded and biased, constantly choosing to willfully ignore the stuff that has been said over and over that shows how what you say is ridiculous. So it's really pointless arguing with this level of dishonesty.
teo123 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:17 am
Never said call you a moron would prove I'm right or wrong, but the statement is true nonetheless. And the fact that this statement is true definitely shows I'm right beyond reasonable doubt.
Besides, I have to prove nothing. You're the one with the burden of proof for the anti-scientific-consensus, lunatic, and extraordinary claims you have been making. Until you prove you are right, your constant nagging of this issue is just annoying and meaningless.
I didn't think I will post here again, but, according to City Journal, of the 14 randomized controlled clinical trials on the effect of mask wearing during COVID-19 pandemic, only three found some positive effect, the other 11 found either no effect or a negative effect. In other words, it is not just the Danish Study that suggested masks do not work, there were quite a few of them. Even though I do not think I have the burden of proof here, here is one such proof.
FredVegrox

Post by FredVegrox »

I wear a face mask still now where I am around groups of people. I avoid now where people congregate. There is not much I will do away from home but the store trips I make for what I will have. I take my vulnerability seriously even while not all others do, as I see. If they don't fully work that is basis to avoid where people are congregating, but the store trips are necessary and I still keep distances from others all I can.