Reincarnation

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Reincarnation

Post by brimstoneSalad »

@RanOverByATrain You mean the exact same configuration occurring again?
I don't think that qualifies as "coming back", just happening again. It's possible for the exact same configuration of nerves to happen again, just astronomically improbable. For smaller organisms with 100k or so neurons it's also improbable, but given enough time it may happen.

Re: proving God false with physics, this refers to specific god claims like omnipresence and still acting locally, which suggests faster than light communication.
teo123
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Post by teo123 »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:15 pm @RanOverByATrain You mean the exact same configuration occurring again?
I don't think that qualifies as "coming back", just happening again. It's possible for the exact same configuration of nerves to happen again, just astronomically improbable. For smaller organisms with 100k or so neurons it's also improbable, but given enough time it may happen.

Re: proving God false with physics, this refers to specific god claims like omnipresence and still acting locally, which suggests faster than light communication.
And even if that same configuration of nerve connections happens again, it has to be in the animal of the same species. A cat wouldn't survive with a human brain, a human brain is too big for most cats, it's incapable of controlling the tail and it's incapable of controlling the muscles between the vertebrae that a cat uses to jump or even walk.
Kwashiorkor
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Kwashiorkor »

I find rebirth and its bedfellow karma even more laughable than a creator god. Even though I'm an atheist the conception of an amoral deist god can not be immediately dismissed out of hand (unlike the theistic god) and many fine minds from the eighteenth century were deist and believed in some kind of unapproachable deity. Richard Dawkins said as much himself in regard to Antony Flew's conversion to deism which was so disappointing to atheists such as myself and visibly Dawkins as well.

Reincarnation though is absolute codswallop and can be explained by suspect anecdotal evidence, false memories and selective thinking.