Christian Science

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
teo123
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Christian Science

Post by teo123 »

So, what do you guys here think about Christian Science? At first, it seemed like nonsense to me. However, the more I study it, more appealing it seems to me. Consider that the fact that mind plays a huge role in disease is not challenged in any circles. But all the other causes of disease are challenged by some experts. Some experts, including one of the greatest Croatian biologists, Krešimir Pavelić, doubt that germs cause many diseases. Sure, certain germs are associated with certain diseases. But how can we know the germs cause disease, rather than that an unhealthy body makes the germs? The idea that cholesterol causes many diseases is also challenged by many experts. How can we know cholesterol is not our bodies natural and proper response to inflammation inside blood vessels? The idea that high blood pressure causes many diseases is also not universally accepted. How can we know high blood pressure is not our body's appropriate response to blood vessels getting too thin? Yet, the fact that mind causes many diseases, or at least makes them significantly worse, is not challenged by any experts. So, is not it the simplest explanation that mind is the cause of all diseases, like the Christian Science says?

I dislike the dogmatism and the supernatural claims made by religion. But Christian Science shows us that religion does not need to be dogmatic or even make supernatural claims. If diseases are entirely caused by minds, prayer healing the diseases is nothing supernatural. To the contrary, it is very natural. And it really makes sense to treat the Bible like any scientific text, like Christian Science does: accept the authority, but not the inerrancy of it. Bible is written by fallible human beings, and is bound to contain some mistakes, but that does not mean it is not a wonderful source of knowledge. And the better you understand the Holy Science, the better you can heal, just like you would expect from a science. The New Age can heal backache, but it is unheard of that it heals cancer. That is because they understand the Holy Science somewhat, but not perfectly. Christian Scientists, because they understand the Holy Science significantly better, can heal both. Mary Baker Eddy, the person who discovered Christian Science, was also able to heal broken bones using prayer, but most of her students were not able to do that.

Christian Science really explains witchcraft in a way that makes sense: the corollary of prayer working is that witchcraft is possible.

@brimstoneSalad told me study up Christian Science and report back on it, because it is supposedly easy to identify it as pseudoscience. But I fail to see why it would be pseudoscience. I cannot explain why it would be pseudoscience without implying that, for example, linguistics is pseudoscience. Furthermore, the most prominent Christian Scientist in Croatia is a physicist and a physics-textbook-writer Vladimir Paar, and he should certainly know very well what is and is not science.
Kwashiorkor
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: Christian Science

Post by Kwashiorkor »

My late grandparents were both Christian Scientists. This sort of idealism didn't do either of them any good and both succumbed to disease, Covid-19 in my grandfather's case. From what I understand Mary Baker Eddy plagiarized a lot of ideas from the New Thought movement prevalent at the time.