What place would you like to live in?

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Isaac

What place would you like to live in?

Post by Isaac »

Where would you live given the option?

I w ould probably say Germany, Norway, or Sweden. They sound like they have amazing politics and great quality of life which I'm all for! I would also like to be able to have more freedom of expression, which those societies offer!
thebestofenergy
Master in Training
Diet: Vegan

Re: What place would you like to live in?

Post by thebestofenergy »

I agree with you that those countries are amazing to live in. I fancied moving there too :)
Altough, they're very expensive (especially Norway). But to have great quality of life, you must spend more.
If I had to choose, I'd probably pick one among Norway, Denmark, Sweden or Switzerland. Great quality of life, amazing politics, long life expectations, outstanding health care system and low crime rate.
If I had to choose basing myself on how great the place looks, I'd probably choose Hawaii or Bali (Indonesia); or of course one of those remote islands, like Madagascar.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

I'm having a kind of tendency to go to Australia. Beautiful nature, lots of space, and great weather. But I'm not sure if it's politically and economically better than staying in the Netherlands. I love the Netherlands for being pretty progressive/liberal, although it feels like there's a growing amount of nationalism and racism.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

Volenta wrote:I'm having a kind of tendency to go to Australia. Beautiful nature, lots of space, and great weather. But I'm not sure if it's politically and economically better than staying in the Netherlands. I love the Netherlands for being pretty progressive/liberal, although it feels like there's a growing amount of nationalism and racism.
Netherlands are in many of the 'Top 10 countries in the world' lists. You should consider yourself lucky.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Why do people want to live in the good, liberal countries?

I'd like to live in the middle-east, a second world Islamic country.

I have to ask, where would I be most likely to do the most good?
Of course, I would also be most likely to be executed there...
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

In about a year from now I'm going to be moving to Switzerland, can't wait to get there :D
She's beautiful...
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

thebestofenergy wrote:
Volenta wrote:I'm having a kind of tendency to go to Australia. Beautiful nature, lots of space, and great weather. But I'm not sure if it's politically and economically better than staying in the Netherlands. I love the Netherlands for being pretty progressive/liberal, although it feels like there's a growing amount of nationalism and racism.
Netherlands are in many of the 'Top 10 countries in the world' lists. You should consider yourself lucky.
Racism is pretty prevelent in the Netherlands. Not sure I would want to go there. I want a place that is very progressive and people are treated equally within society no matter what gender, race, sex, creed, nationality, orientation, or religion they are. There's probably more than that, too.
charlotte-reva

Post by charlotte-reva »

I would love to live in a tropical or sub tropical location for the warmth, the beaches, the fruits . I have noticed that for me my health get worse during winter time in northern europe climate. So i am thinking about ,canary islands, spain or french polynesia . I ''ll aslo would love to move to thailand but i cant become a citizen there easily .
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Why do people want to live in the good, liberal countries?

I'd like to live in the middle-east, a second world Islamic country.

I have to ask, where would I be most likely to do the most good?
Of course, I would also be most likely to be executed there...
I know this is an old topic, but I don't think you're right on this one. Sure, you may be able to do more good through direct advocacy there, but in a rich country you can do much more by earning to give (paying dozens of people to do the direct aid that you would otherwise do) and advocating for important causes such as climate change and animal welfare (richer countries tend to emit more GHG and consume more animals).

Therefore, my pick would be either an EU country, China or the USA for the scale of their governments and their economic circumstances.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote:Sure, you may be able to do more good through direct advocacy there, but in a rich country you can do much more by earning to give
The massive wealth disparity in the middle east makes that a potentially viable option there too.
And on an interpersonal level, you'd also be able to influence many more hearts and minds.

Of course, it depends on the details of your activism. If you're in politics, you definitely want to be in the West.
For earning to give, it depends on your industry.