I've Made a Video about Atheism

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
teo123
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

I've Made a Video about Atheism

Post by teo123 »

Hey, guys!
I've made a video about atheism:
https://youtu.be/vtPkRUp7ZIM
What do you think about it?
Greatest I am

Re: I've Made a Video about Atheism

Post by Greatest I am »

Given the immorality of the homophobic and misogynous mainstream religions, any who promote atheism show a better moral sense than Christianity and Islam.

Regards
DL
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Although I was speaking Latin in that video, I've tried to make it universally accessible by putting rough English translations of what I was talking on the pictures I've included.
Most of the atheists would probably begin by talking about the burden of proof. I don't think that's a good idea, there is much better evidence that God doesn't exist than simply the lack of evidence that God does exist. Furthermore, many religious people, thanks to the conspiracy theorists on the Internet, think there is indeed evidence for God, but that it's being hidden by scientists. However, the Omnipotence Paradox is really a 2+2=4-type-of-proof that God, as commonly defined (as a perfect and therefore, among other things, omnipotent being), doesn't exist. However, I don't think people find that psychologically convincing. So, before that, I bringed up the problem of different religions, the argument from inconsistent revelations (in my experience, most Christians don't believe in the inerrancy of the Bible, but they also don't have a sensible answer to "Why would God let his words end up corrupted?"), the "Why hasn't theology given us any useful answers?" (in my experience, Christians generally agree with me that theology is at least mostly useless) and the argument from natural evil. The argument from natural evil is I think a relatively convincing argument.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

teo123 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:21 am Although I was speaking Latin in that video, I've tried to make it universally accessible by putting rough English translations of what I was talking on the pictures I've included.
Most of the atheists would probably begin by talking about the burden of proof. I don't think that's a good idea, there is much better evidence that God doesn't exist than simply the lack of evidence that God does exist. Furthermore, many religious people, thanks to the conspiracy theorists on the Internet, think there is indeed evidence for God, but that it's being hidden by scientists. However, the Omnipotence Paradox is really a 2+2=4-type-of-proof that God, as commonly defined (as a perfect and therefore, among other things, omnipotent being), doesn't exist. However, I don't think people find that psychologically convincing. So, before that, I bringed up the problem of different religions, the argument from inconsistent revelations (in my experience, most Christians don't believe in the inerrancy of the Bible, but they also don't have a sensible answer to "Why would God let his words end up corrupted?"), the "Why hasn't theology given us any useful answers?" (in my experience, Christians generally agree with me that theology is at least mostly useless) and the argument from natural evil. The argument from natural evil is I think a relatively convincing argument.
I agree with your last.
I have to, given that I am a Gnostic Christian and we are known as esoteric ecumenists and naturalists.

Evil, as a small part of our overall evolution, is a product of our competing with each other and is a small price to pay for us not going extinct.

I don't quite agree with your view of the uselessness of the biblical theology, although I would agree if you had mentioned the literal reading of myths.

Here is how I explain the usefulness of the bible if read right.

I keep a bible in the house even though I think this quote quite correct.

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”
― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Then again, I am a Gnostic Christian and know how to read the filth in it.

Said of Gnostic Christian versus Christian bible reading practices.

“Both read the Bible day and night; but you read black where I read white.”
William Blake.

I would take this further and advise you to read any scriptures from as many POV as is within you. Question everything including yourself.

The bible, if read as a book of wisdom, does have much wisdom though.

You just have to read it the way Gnostics do and reverse a lot of the Christian morals.

Christians call evil good while Gnostic Christians call evil, evil.

I E. Gnostic Christians think that bible God, the demiurge to us, is quite immoral for thinking that torturing King David's baby for 6 days before finally killing it is good justice. Gnostic Christians think that evil while Christians think that a good form of justice.

Which group do you think is right?

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

teo123 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:21 am there is much better evidence that God doesn't exist
I have given up arguing against Christians for the reality of god or not as it is a pointless argument that ends nowhere.

That is why I try to have Christians discuss morals as those arguments, if honest, lead to the fact that Yahweh is not a good god, given his genocidal and infanticidal ways and his homophobic and misogynous religion.

Regards
DL
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:36 am
teo123 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:21 am there is much better evidence that God doesn't exist
I have given up arguing against Christians for the reality of god or not as it is a pointless argument that ends nowhere.

That is why I try to have Christians discuss morals as those arguments, if honest, lead to the fact that Yahweh is not a good god, given his genocidal and infanticidal ways and his homophobic and misogynous religion.

Regards
DL
I'd encourage you to leave a comment on my YouTube video. It will almost certainly be one of the most intelligent comments I will get.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

teo123 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:04 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:36 am

Regards
DL
I'd encourage you to leave a comment on my YouTube video. It will almost certainly be one of the most intelligent comments I will get.
Made me blush.

Thanks.

Regards
DL