Hello!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Evie
Diet: Vegan

Hello!

Post by Evie »

Hello,
I am a newish vegan living in the Midwest USA. I have been vegan for about a year, and I was mostly plant based/reductionist for most of my life because of stomach issues. I went vegan after reading several articles about environmental impact of the animal industry and realized that I just couldn't feel good about my choices and support such a destructive industry with my money anymore. Since then I have read more about the issues with the treatment of the animals, and I can't see myself ever going back to a normal diet again. My life partner is not vegan but has been gradually leaning more and more towards plant foods overtime. I hope some day they will be vegan with me, but I won't be forcing them to change... since I don't think it will actually help. We do talk about it a lot, and I hope that will be enough. I am here hoping to talk and get more information from other vegans that is science and rational based. I also am the only vegan in my area and its sadly been kind of socially restricting and just knowing other people are out there doing this too helps me a lot.

Thank you for reading!
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Hello!

Post by Red »

Hello Evie, welcome to the forum!

I think Environmentalist reasons are the strongest for going vegan (especially at this point in time), and they do ultimately tie in with ethics. It's a good thing that you are getting your partner to become more open to a more vegan diet too, that's especially important if you're planning on raising children.

If you have any questions about seeing if you can change your partner's mind in regards to veganism, feel free to start a thread about it.

And I can sympathize with being the only vegan. I live in NYC where a lot more people are open to veganism, but I don't know too many in my personal life. I have convinced some to go reducitarian though. I understand that a lot of the midwest have a strong part of their economies based on animal agriculture, so it might be especially difficult for you.

But again, welcome, and feel free to begin a thread on anything you like!
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Wow, great intro, welcome Evie! I hope you like it here. Sometimes it takes people a while, but if your partner is making reductions and moving in that direction that says a lot.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome Evie. For many years I (tho.ught I) was the only vegan in my area. Now there are plenty. What's it like being atheist in the American midwest?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.