Owning cats is not vegan

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Kaz1983
Diet: Vegan

Re: Owning cats is not vegan

Post by Kaz1983 »

If you want a pet that similar to a cat but 100% herbivore, own an indoor rabbit - trust we do and they are soooo easy to toliet train.. s breeze haha and loves it's vegies too :mrgreen:

If you want a pet similar to a cat, look into is ing an indoor, house rabbit,
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Kaz1983 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:05 pm If you want a pet that similar to a cat but 100% herbivore, own an indoor rabbit - trust we do and they are soooo easy to toliet train.. s breeze haha and loves it's vegies too :mrgreen:

If you want a pet similar to a cat, look into is ing an indoor, house rabbit,
And do pet rabbits actually love their owners? I doubt it. They are prey animals, they have a lot of enemies in nature, and it must be very hard to make them trust you. They are probably constantly looking for a way to escape from humans.
Kaz1983

Post by Kaz1983 »

teo123 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:38 amAnd do pet rabbits actually love their owners? I doubt it
Yes after say 4 months, once rabbits fully trust you, yes they act like dogs..... but your right, it takes time for you to earn thier trust and they super shy in the beginning....

My rabbit greets us at the door like a dog. Lol
They are prey animals, they have a lot of enemies in nature, and it must be very hard to make them trust you. They are probably constantly looking for a way to escape from humans.
See what I just said about earning thier trust.

Rabbits are excellent pets but you need to have the as house pets not in locked in a cage .... let the roam around the house cos if you just lock in a cage you will end up with a rabbit that doesn't trust you..

https://youtu.be/wgw36z4h2Xk
Last edited by Kaz1983 on Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kaz1983

Post by Kaz1983 »

Here's a picture of him, try tell me he doesn't look happy and relaxed! 8-)

https://ibb.co/fN7FC5c

Usually rabbits will also stay on thier feet, ready to escape from danger etc etc... not lie down and just chill like a dog like in the picture... so that's a sign your rabbit is happy and relaxed around you.... they are affectionate around you

SO THEY CAN AND DO LOVE YOU :roll:
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

@Kaz1983 How did you acquire the rabbit?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Kaz1983

Post by Kaz1983 »

Jebus wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:37 pm @Kaz1983 How did you acquire the rabbit?
Pet store was shutting (closing down forever, type thing..) and he would have been sent to a shelter, so we brought him for cheap ....
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

@brimstoneSalad, do you at least agree with me that pet rabbits, being prey animals and having instincts typical for prey animals, probably don't love their owners, and would probably escape from them if given a chance to?
Kaz1983

Post by Kaz1983 »

teo123 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:35 am @brimstoneSalad, do you at least agree with me that pet rabbits, being prey animals and having instincts typical for prey animals, probably don't love their owners, and would probably escape from them if given a chance to?
95% of rabbits are locked outside in wood hutches.

See allowing a rabbit to trust you and thier environment is very, very important .. why? ..cos if a rabbit feels threatened occasionally, here and there - a rabbit will feel permanently threatened all the time...

Compare that to a rabbit that lives inside the house and trusts you completely.. the rabbit can choose to look around the whole house and the rabbit can find out what is most enjoyable and what's not enjoyable.. they can do this, whilst switching off their (subconscious) "survival" switch now that they are not prey animals anymore..

If the rabbit isn't 100% sure of thier current environment because they believe that there is a threat or for example you bring home the scent of a dog etc etc, that's an issue and will prevent your rabbit developing his or her own personality.

But if the rabbit subconsciously trusts that thier environment is safe, it acts more like a dog...

When we first got him, our rabbit hid under the couch but now he greets us at the front door.. wants a pat from my son, when he gets home from school etc etc..
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Kaz1983 wrote:Here's a picture of him, try tell me he doesn't look happy and relaxed!
Well, to me it looks like he is very sleepy. Or, possibly but unlikely, that he is panicking and can't move out of fear. Nothing to suggest he likes people. If he did, why would he be hiding under a bed?
Kaz1983

Post by Kaz1983 »

:roll:
Last edited by Kaz1983 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.