Could you please give me some examples of secular objectivists and subjectivists(that are not moral relativist)?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Obolinda
Diet: Vegan

Could you please give me some examples of secular objectivists and subjectivists(that are not moral relativist)?

Post by Obolinda »

I'm curious as somebody told me, while I was having a discussion with an omnivore, that morality just depends on how people feel, it changes with society. After pointing out that he couldn't be consistent and condemn something under his moral system.

Could you please give me their philosophies/meta ethics too? He's interested. :D
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Could you please give me some examples of secular objectivists and subjectivists(that are not moral relativist)?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

The biggest group would be utilitarians. Then you have the altruists who are slightly different but still agree on 99% of things.

The only major difference between a utilitarian and an altruist would be the scenario where I cause you one unit of suffering to gain two units of pleasure (or whatever positive thing): altruists will tend to reject that while all other things being equal utilitarians say that's a good outcome.

Are you looking for particular people or...?
Obolinda

Re: Could you please give me some examples of secular objectivists and subjectivists(that are not moral relativist)?

Post by Obolinda »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:59 pm The biggest group would be utilitarians. Then you have the altruists who are slightly different but still agree on 99% of things.

The only major difference between a utilitarian and an altruist would be the scenario where I cause you one unit of suffering to gain two units of pleasure (or whatever positive thing): altruists will tend to reject that while all other things being equal utilitarians say that's a good outcome.

Are you looking for particular people or...?
particularly people :D thank you
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Peter Singer is a fairly popular example. He has a lot of books out on ethics.
Obolinda

Post by Obolinda »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:35 pm Peter Singer is a fairly popular example. He has a lot of books out on ethics.

thanks