Investing your money with the best possible moral outcome

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Investing your money with the best possible moral outcome

Post by brimstoneSalad »

@Jebus I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on the above wager I mentioned.

From a purely self interested perspective prepping might make the most sense, but from an hybrid kind of altruistic one where we don't care about our own survival if the world goes down then investment might make sense.

However, some kinds of prepping do both, because a lot of prepping is focused on sustainability. Preppers often garden and use solar panels, for example, do rain water collection, etc. so promoting prepping from an eco-perspective could work.

@Jamie in Chile When investing I think the goal would be to look for small companies that are in the start up phase, both because their shares are going to be cheaper and because it helps more to buy their stocks. A more secure company like Beyond Meat probably doesn't need it as much.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:50 pm @Jebus I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on the above wager I mentioned.
I just wrote a detailed reply to your post but lost my connection and my post disappeared. I don't feel like starting over again, but in summary: I didn't really understand your post or how it was related to my previous comments.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:00 am
brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:50 pm @Jebus I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on the above wager I mentioned.
I just wrote a detailed reply to your post but lost my connection and my post disappeared. I don't feel like starting over again, but in summary: I didn't really understand your post or how it was related to my previous comments.
If that happens, you can click "Load quick draft" under the post. It auto-saves every minute or so. You may even still be able to do it.

My point was that you aren't wrong about the statistics, but that there are other conditions that make betting *against* the world ending the rational gambit since you can't cash out if the world ends. Thus it makes sense to assume greater value than the market does in companies that will profit from very strict climate change mitigation policies.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:34 pmMy point was that you aren't wrong about the statistics, but that there are other conditions that make betting *against* the world ending the rational gambit since you can't cash out if the world ends. Thus it makes sense to assume greater value than the market does in companies that will profit from very strict climate change mitigation policies.
Still not sure if I understand.

Are you suggesting that investing in companies who create, for example, renewable energy, might slow down the threat of global warming?

Are you suggesting that the "Pascal's wager" idea is not already reflected in the stock price of such companies?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

It could slow it a little (investment also creates financial pressure on government), but more this:
Jebus wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:28 pm Are you suggesting that the "Pascal's wager" idea is not already reflected in the stock price of such companies?
I do not think it is taken into account, because most people haven't fully grasped how serious climate change may be on a personal level and are just looking at probability of returns. There's a very real possibility that we may not do much about it (or not enough to really benefit these companies), but in that scenario other investments aren't necessarily going to be worth anything.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

@brimstoneSalad Interesting perspective and perhaps something worth for younger investors to consider.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:43 am @brimstoneSalad Interesting perspective and perhaps something worth for younger investors to consider.
Shit could start hitting the fan with regard to climate change within the next decade, as the predictions of climate models keep getting blown out of the water. I wouldn't even rule it out for a middle aged investor. If we don't do something big about it we could see some serious financial turmoil.
Lay Vegan

Post by Lay Vegan »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:50 pm When investing I think the goal would be to look for small companies that are in the start up phase, both because their shares are going to be cheaper and because it helps more to buy their stocks. A more secure company like Beyond Meat probably doesn't need it as much.
Any particular recommended stocks/ETF’s?

U.S. stock market is down right now (thanks, Coronavirus) so I’d like to take advantage while prices are low.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Good idea. There was a recent article featuring a few.

Here we go: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/your ... lfare.html

I can't vouch for any of them, but it's something to look into.
SupaFly

Post by SupaFly »

Some options I have researched and would already be using if I had the funds:
www.greeninvestment.com
www.beyondinvesting.com
www.humaneinvesting.com