Climate Change Script; Need Some Pointers

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Climate Change Script; Need Some Pointers

Post by Red »

Climate Change is an obviously real, man-made phenomenon. I might need some help with writing this script since there is so much bullshit out there from deniers. (climate's always changing, etc)

I said on the other thread I am currently working on my next video, which will be about climate change. I want to make sure I have the video make as concrete of a case for climate change as possible. I've made some pretty decent progress on the script, I'll send you guys the final draft soon.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Re: Climate Change Script; Need Some Pointers

Post by teo123 »

I'd start with something like this: "The pseudoscience that had the most dangerous results were probably the Trofim Lysenko's agricultural recomendations. They played a major role in the Great Chinese Famine of the late 1950s and early 1960s. Anti-nuclear movement and climate-change denial are similar in their logic to Lysenkoism, and can easily end up being about as dangerous, if not even more."
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Teo's idea is good, focusing on the harms of pseudoscience, and talking about the consequences of doing nothing about climate change if it's true and if we can afford that gamble (for people on the fence). Then cover the evidence.
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:54 pm Teo's idea is good, focusing on the harms of pseudoscience, and talking about the consequences of doing nothing about climate change if it's true and if we can afford that gamble (for people on the fence). Then cover the evidence.
Anyway, what do you think about this article I've written? Can it be useful in debunking pseudoscience?
I am not really too aware of the specific claims that global warming deniers make. I mean, I know that the less reasonable ones claim that the globe is not actually warming and that the data that shows it's warming is somehow faked (and that idea is just too ridiculous to even think about). I also know that the more reasonable ones claim that there is no evidence for the water causing the positive feedback loop, and that the data has been misinterpreted because of the flawed climate models (that it's not reasonable to expect the Earth to warm by two degrees in this century, but somewhere around 0.5 degrees).
But that position seeming more reasonable doesn't mean it's right. Let-it-happen-on-purpose conspiracy theories are more sensible than the make-it-happen-on-purpose conspiracy theories, that doesn't suggest that let-it-happen-on-purpose conspiracy theories are likely to be right.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:54 pm Teo's idea is good, focusing on the harms of pseudoscience, and talking about the consequences of doing nothing about climate change if it's true and if we can afford that gamble (for people on the fence). Then cover the evidence.
ఠ_ఠ What do you mean 'if it's true'? I thought climate change was an entrenched scientific consensus and has been for many years now? I know nothing in science is never proven 100%, but I thought climate change is a fact like evolution? Or are you saying 'if' in reference to people who might be denying it?

Anyway, I'll incorporate that idea into the script!
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Red wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:53 pmOr are you saying 'if' in reference to people who might be denying it?
Yes, and just the point that you can apply decision theory to it.