Do you ever feel that doing good is a waste of time?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Do you ever feel that doing good is a waste of time?

Post by Red »

Of course I don't think that it is, but I think for a lot of us, especially activists, there have been low moments where we just ask "What's the fucking point?" It's not just reading ignorant Youtube comments that makes everything feel insurmountable, but just people, often with good intentions, fear monger, and reversing any progress made in the right direction. Like this new HBO series makes me fear that people are going to think Hollywood is true to reality, and that nuclear reactors can actually explode like in Hiroshima or Nagasaki. It already has crappy PR and I'm not sure if Mr. Renck is aware of the harm he may be causing (or, more cynically, he is aware, and just isn't concerned so he can make a popular miniseries on a sensationalized disaster to capitalize on the buzz around it).

I've been that guy to look at the ignorance in a particular area that is harmful to society and humanity and just ask "What's the fucking point?" though I know that there is a point to doing good, it's just not going to come as easy as we want it to.

I just wanted to get that off my chest, thoughts?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: Do you ever feel that doing good is a waste of time?

Post by Jamie in Chile »

I do sometimes feel this way, but I try to think it's better to have a limited effect than none at all.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Do you ever feel that doing good is a waste of time?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Yep. But hey, if nuclear is doomed to be buried in fear mongering, maybe that's all the more reason to focus on reductions like veganism and being more efficient at home?
We might be able to make solar work IF we're smarter about our energy uses... that's a big IF, but climate change isn't all or nothing.
Every day we put it off, and every fraction of a degree less, makes a difference.