I'm new here!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Bumblesheep

I'm new here!

Post by Bumblesheep »

Hello everyone,

I'm a kindergarten teacher from Germany and currently still eating an omnivore diet. I have been vegan for a bit over 12 months some years ago but did the transition in a hurry and without greater research. At one point I was so unhappy and feeling deprived that I quit being vegan and went back to eating literally every last bit of everything I could get.

The burden that weighed on my soul for betraying all the animals whose products and bodies I ate soon showed up around my body and I have been as unhealthy and overweight as never before.
Some months ago, however, I discovered Target 100 by Liz Josefsberg and it changed the world for me. This program went so far beyond diet for me and I got into practising mindfulness, meditation and yoga. It is from here that I am exploring the idea of universal love, selflove and fulfillment without unethical consumption.

At the moment I am vegan on sundays in order to try some dishes and the vegan practice. I am aiming at slowly introducing more vegan days and at making sustainable changes for everyday (like using plant based milks, eating only vegan snacks if I need to snack between meals and so on). Being honest, however, I need to tell you that I am producing my own yarn with hand spindles and a spinning wheel and I do not see myself stop using sheep's wool for this artisanal craftsmanship since no linen, tencel, seacell, nylon, bananafibre, bamboo or cotton will ever have the properties and variation sheep's wool has.

I am looking forward to getting in contact with this community!
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Re: I'm new here!

Post by Red »

Hey Bumblesheep! Don't feel too bad about going back to eating meat, it happens to a lot of people. Feel free to ask is any questions so we can help you transition to veganism properly!
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Hi Bumblesheep,

Welcome to our forum. The wool trade is pretty awful and highly sentient animals must suffer because of it. There are other ways to stay warm in cold weather. I hope you will reconsider this and continue your path to becoming a better person.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Bumblesheep

Post by Bumblesheep »

Thank you @Red and @Jebus,

I'm already scrolling through this forum's content. I just finished my first vegan sunday and what I ate was really good. However, I had to eat bigger portions than usual in order to be satisfied, since the content of protein in plants/ tofu isn't quite as high as in eggs or dairy products.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

The protein in tofu (and many vegetables) is actually quite high. You may have the impression that you are eating more since vegetables are made up mostly of water. When it comes to vegetables, I prefer to put them in a blender before drinking them; unless it is a vegetable that adds significant taste to my meal.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi @Bumblesheep Plant foods are often more protein per calorie, but yes less per kilogram/pound so there can be more volume. It can take a little getting used to.
Sounds like you're doing things right this time!

Is artisinal yarn part of your livelihood?