Notre Dame- an example of altruism at its worst

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Lay Vegan
Diet: Vegan

Re: Notre Dame- an example of altruism at its worst

Post by Lay Vegan »

gottabesaid wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:58 pm Friends of mine made a donation to La fondation patrimoine to help with the rebuild of Notre Dame.They are a charity and as such the donation is tax deductible by 66%. So the french authorities overall only get a third of the amount net. Seems a bit daft
It’s also daft because everyday French citizens will pay for the remaining 2 thirds via forgone tax revenue. 66% percent seems far too high for that kind of donation.

Let's remember that French citizens are paying for the majority of those donations (via tax subsidies) toward an attraction that only the world's uber-wealthy can enjoy.

I agree with @Jebus and @Jamie in Chile. That money would be best allocated toward an effective charity. At the very minimum donors shouldn’t be given high tax breaks. Notre Dame is by no means a charity.
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Jebus wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:43 pm
teo123 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:34 am
Jebus wrote:Do you know of any efficient charities that bring positive consequences?
Well, no, I haven't studied it that much.
So this is entirely unimportant to you???
In my experience, doing a little research usually leads you farther from the truth. You need to research something for years before your opinion becomes more reliable than the opinion of somebody who has done no research whatsoever, and I don't have the time to do research those things throughoutly.
Minos
Diet: Reducetarian

Post by Minos »

teo123 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:23 amYou need to research something for years before your opinion becomes more reliable than the opinion of somebody who has done no research whatsoever, ...
This is interesting claim, can you explain it more?
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Minos wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:46 am
teo123 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:23 amYou need to research something for years before your opinion becomes more reliable than the opinion of somebody who has done no research whatsoever, ...
This is interesting claim, can you explain it more?
Well, how long do you have to study Flat-Earthism to realize it's not true? Probably for months, if not for years, right? You probably won't realize at first what's meant by the "constant speed of the Sun" the Flat-Earth-Theory makes the complicated "explanations" of, for example.