2020 Election Thread

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

2020 Election Thread

Post by miniboes »

It'll be a while, but collecting all the discussion about it here seems like a good idea.

A few remarks:
1. I'll be actively rooting against Sanders (rooting against, rather than campaigning or voting or something, because after all I'm not american). Reason: "Bernie Sanders Denies Closure Of Vermont Nuclear Plant Increased Emissions -- The Data Says Otherwise." Same goes for Kamala Harris, whom I like in most respects other than her position on nuclear.
2. Pete Buttigieg seems like an excellent candidate to me, and he's getting a lot more attention that my #2, which would be Corey Booker. His focus is on the long term issues that most need adressing both in the US and worldwide. He has his eyes on reforming both supreme court nominations (to make them less political) and the electoral college (or rather, abolish it). Like Sanders, climate change is high on his agenda. Unlike Sanders, he appears to be sensible about it. Being the first openly gay president would be icing on the cake.
3. Even more sensible about climate change is Corey Booker. I'd personally be just as excited about a first vegan (dietary, anyway) president as a first gay president. I'm yet to find anything I particularly dislike about both him and Buttigieg. If i were to vote in the primaries, I'd probably vote for Booker or Buttigieg, depending on who was doing better in the polls. Overall, I think Booker's odds of beating Trump are much smaller than Buttigieg, who is more charismatic and may be able to appeal to rural areas in a way Hillary couldn't.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:37 am Overall, I think Booker's odds of beating Trump are much smaller than Buttigieg, who is more charismatic and may be able to appeal to rural areas in a way Hillary couldn't.
This. Unfortunately Booker isn't very charismatic, which makes a big difference when it comes to getting people to vote. Maybe we'll see something else in the debates, though.