Cory Booker- Does He Have A Chance?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Cory Booker- Does He Have A Chance?

Post by Red »

There is a really great senator in New Jersey who is running for President as a democrat called Cory Booker. Here is a short video promoting him, so you can get a sense of his positions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... x5m6DDFupg

And check this video out to see how he is currently doing in the polls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uTY_WvSHOw

I guess it is worth mentioning that he identifies as a pro-nuclear democrat, and is vegan. How did Boes put it?
Miniboes wrote: You'd have yourself your first vegan president before the first female president. I wouldn't complain. Do you think trump will get himself impeached? I'm still not convinced he's not doing this as an experiment/prank to make a point.
But that right now isn't this now, obviously, and we've gotten better since 2017. So what do you think? What chance does Cory Booker have at getting the democratic nomination, and what chance for becoming the next President?

And who do you think has the best chance at becoming President?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: Cory Booker- Does He Have A Chance?

Post by Jebus »

Red wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:41 pmWhat chance does Cory Booker have at getting the democratic nomination, and what chance for becoming the next President?
According to the markets, 3.5% and 2% respectively.
Red wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:41 pmAnd who do you think has the best chance at becoming President?
Donald Trump at 33%.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

There are a lot of great hopefuls this year.
Yang is good too, his policies seem generally on the money
https://www.yang2020.com/

Elizabeth Warren leans anti-nuclear, unfortunately. She may have the best chance of getting the ticket. Not as strong an opponent as Sanders, though, so I might support her? We'll see.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Buttigieg, Yang, Booker all seem great. Harris and O'Rourke seem good too but not sure about their stances on nuclear.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:21 am There are a lot of great hopefuls this year.
Yang is good too, his policies seem generally on the money
https://www.yang2020.com/
Like the tone of Yang's campaign; Humanity first, not Murka (most Republicans and Democrats both such on that front). A good humanitarian would be a breath of fresh air. But I doubt he'd win the nomination, I don't think he's getting as much attention as other contenders.

I couldn't find his stance on free trade, but I assume he's pro? He's also decent on nuclear; Not 100%, but very good. Better than other progressives.

A Booker/Yang ticket would be nice, though I doubt that Booker'd pick Yang with him being a non-politician. Would be great though, if Booker gets 8 years, Yang can succeed him for another 8, since they're both pretty young.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:21 amElizabeth Warren leans anti-nuclear, unfortunately. She may have the best chance of getting the ticket. Not as strong an opponent as Sanders, though, so I might support her? We'll see.
I wouldn't want to vote for Trump if it comes down to a situation like that, but I don't really have a choice.

Oh yeah, question: Should I register as a Democrat? Not because I support the idea of Political parties or giving myself an ideological label, but mainly so I can vote in the Primaries, since I'm in a closed Primary State. Or, better yet, registering as a Republican so I can vote for the most liberal candidate?

Just one thing we must make sure never happens: The old fuck getting the nomination. Except for Biden, he wouldn't be too bad.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Red wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:24 pm Oh yeah, question: Should I register as a Democrat? Not because I support the idea of Political parties or giving myself an ideological label, but mainly so I can vote in the Primaries, since I'm in a closed Primary State. Or, better yet, registering as a Republican so I can vote for the most liberal candidate?
Trump is unlikely to get primaried, so you should probably register as a Democrat.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:36 am
Red wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:24 pm Oh yeah, question: Should I register as a Democrat? Not because I support the idea of Political parties or giving myself an ideological label, but mainly so I can vote in the Primaries, since I'm in a closed Primary State. Or, better yet, registering as a Republican so I can vote for the most liberal candidate?
Trump is unlikely to get primaried, so you should probably register as a Democrat.
What makes you say that?
-Leonardo da Vinci
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:36 am Trump is unlikely to get primaried,
If you truly believe that you should place a bet. You will get 3 times your money back if Trump is not the Republican nominee.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

I have a feeling we will get a Biden/O'Rourke ticket.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

This article summarizes the issue pretty well: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... primaried/

I wouldn't bet on odds that low. You should only bet what you can afford to lose, no matter how good the odds are, and the amount I could afford to lose wouldn't be worth the trouble of betting and collecting to get 3x back.

Also, gambling is a negative sum game, so I lean against it even with good odds unless I can be sure the person I'm taking money from is a really bad person. Even if I can count cards (harder when they mix decks) and play 21 with statistically perfect strategy and win more than I lose, I'd be leeching off people who probably can't afford it and benefiting the house which still always wins*. In terms of "most evil companies to make donations to" that would be hard to top.
Might play a charity game where the house take goes to a good cause and I know all of the players can afford to lose what they're wagering... not sure.