Hi There :-)

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
NoOrdninaryWords
Diet: Vegan

Hi There :-)

Post by NoOrdninaryWords »

Hi fellow vegans and veg-friendly people :-) ,

I am a vegan, straight edge, queer person from Germany and turned vegetarian as a child already for ethical reasons. When I noticed as a young adolescent there is more about the exploitation of animals, I turned vegan 15 years ago.

I've read quite some books about animal rights and how humans harm animals in different ways. I am a deep thinker on moral issues and would love to discuss these here. Also I seek help in different moral questions which made me join just now.

You never stop learning throughout your entire life and a community like this one seems perfect to me :-)

Best,
NoOrdinaryWords
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Hi There :-)

Post by Red »

Hey NoOrdinaryWords, welcome to the forum!
What books did you read? I'm currently adding some to my reading list.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
NoOrdninaryWords

Hi Red,

I've read "Animal Liberation" by Peter Singer which really touched my heart. I know he has been criticized for some statements about disabled people, which I also don't agree on. But the essence of that book regarding animals is really good (sad). I also have the photo book "We Animals" by Jo-Anne McArthur which shows how animals are exploited in several ways. I also read some books by a German author called "Helmut F. Kaplan", I don't know though if any translations are available. And "Vegan" by Kath Clements. Do you have book recommendations for me as well? It has been a while...BTW I started as a kid reading a book about why celebrities turned vegetarian :D Maybe also more books, but those are the ones which come to my mind directly.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

NoOrdninaryWords wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:33 pm I've read "Animal Liberation" by Peter Singer which really touched my heart.
Oddly enough, I haven't read Animal Liberation (though it is on my reading list), but from what I've heard, it's to Veganism as 'The God Delusion' is to Atheism.
NoOrdninaryWords wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:33 pmI know he has been criticized for some statements about disabled people, which I also don't agree on.
Singer is a very intelligent guy, but I disagree with some of his ideas on Utilitarianism (Apparently he's a Hedonistic Utilitarian :| )
NoOrdninaryWords wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:33 pmI also have the photo book "We Animals" by Jo-Anne McArthur which shows how animals are exploited in several ways. I also read some books by a German author called "Helmut F. Kaplan", I don't know though if any translations are available. And "Vegan" by Kath Clements.
Thanks for the book recommendations!
NoOrdninaryWords wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:33 pmDo you have book recommendations for me as well? It has been a while...BTW I started as a kid reading a book about why celebrities turned vegetarian :D Maybe also more books, but those are the ones which come to my mind directly.
I'm sorry man, but unfortunately not. I haven't been reading as much as I have liked, though recently I've really been starting to get into it much more.

I have this book on my reading list in regards to veganism:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/164 ... earch=true
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome,

What was it Singer said about disabled people that you don't agree with?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
NoOrdninaryWords

@Red Ah cool, I might check out that book as well! @Jebus here is an overview about the Singer disability thing: https://bigthink.com/aeon-ideas/what-i- ... ter-singer . I will have to look into the book again to actually answer to the question how he mentioned disability in "Animal Liberation".
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

I am aware of his comments and find the criticism unfair which is why I asked specifically what you object to.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome NoOrdinaryWords, I hope you like it here.

A lot of topics discussed in philosophy are hard to deal with in an every day sense -- like questions on why infanticide is wrong if abortion isn't. Things we'd never normally ask or talk about, because why? We're not really itching to kill our infants or anything. Why would we even ask these questions? Well, not to kill babies, but to try to get at the root of what moral truth is.

It might be more the context and how it sometimes comes off as if the issue is being treated very coldly that's an issue?