Hi from New York

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Georgeo57
Diet: Vegan

Hi from New York

Post by Georgeo57 »

I just took over as the organizer of this meetup - https://www.meetup.com/jewishvegns/ I've recently begun research on the following question; has any person or group ever initiated a suit or campaign against the food industry accusing them of purposely adding meat and dairy to as many products as they can to discourage veganism? I look forward to working with everyone.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Hi from New York

Post by Red »

Hey George! We seem to be pretty close. :)
I might stop by if I ever get the chance.
Georgeo57 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:16 am has any person or group ever initiated a suit or campaign against the food industry accusing them of purposely adding meat and dairy to as many products as they can to discourage veganism? I look forward to working with everyone.
Probably, I wouldn't be too surprised if it were a common thing. Then again, the people in this country are pretty gluttonous. I'm not sure if they do it specifically to discredit veganism, I think you mean discourage?

I remember Gordon Ramsey added meat or dairy to what he said were vegan items, so it probably happens.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Hi from New York

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Georgeo57 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:16 amhas any person or group ever initiated a suit or campaign against the food industry accusing them of purposely adding meat and dairy to as many products as they can to discourage veganism? I look forward to working with everyone.
I'm not sure, but I understand that historically small amounts of pork have been added deliberately to dishes as a form of antisemitism, such as in Spain during the Inquisition to expose (or starve?) Jews.

Veganism is newer in the public view than adding this stuff to dishes, and I tend to think the practice is probably more antisemitic (maybe not of modern people, but if you go back to the origin of the recipe and the cultural environment that created it) than anti-vegan.

In terms of whey, though, it may just be because it's cheap as a byproduct of cheese production and doesn't increase the calories much.