Orthodox Jewish Vegan

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
theveganmindset
Diet: Vegan

Orthodox Jewish Vegan

Post by theveganmindset »

Hello all,

I am a new member. I am a vegan Orthodox Jew that has been on the plant-based path for about two years. I stopped buying leather and any products that may contain an animal in it. As an Orthodox Jew, I still have to handle some items which are derived from an animal such as the "tefillin". Otherwise, my household is all plant-based. My calling is to promote this lifestyle to other fellow Jews since I am heavily involved within the community. I joined this forum to speak with other likeminded people. Feel free to say hi!
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Orthodox Jewish Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome, what inspired you to go vegan?

Seems like tefillin could be made from the hide of a kosher animal who died from natural causes (like on a sanctuary) since they're not required to be kosher slaughtered? That would be an interesting development.
Either way, kept up well I'm sure they can last generations so probably no need to kill more animals for them. Vegans often use old leather items until they wear out, like shoes (or buy second hand), so no inconsistency there. The handling of the items doesn't cause harm.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: Orthodox Jewish Vegan

Post by Jebus »

Welcome veganmindset and congratulations on becoming vegan.

What is it that attracts you about the Jewish faith? In what way do you see it more credible than all the other religions?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.