Greetings Fellow Philosophical Vegans!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
GoldenWatch1809
Diet: Vegan

Greetings Fellow Philosophical Vegans!

Post by GoldenWatch1809 »

Hey everyone! I'm a 3-year vegan and Evolutionary Biology and Astronomy student traveling abroad from Wyoming going for my Master's.

So as said I've been vegan for 3 years, and what started that was mostly just watching documentaries such as Earthlings after finding it on Youtube for free; After that, I was basically scarred for life and decided to get as much vegan related material on my hands as possible. I watched various Youtubers, documentaries, and read some of the literature. I've experimented with many diets which wasn't too much of a problem as I've never really been a picky eater, and so far it has worked great for me. :) After I finish University I'm going to dedicate more time to vegan activism.

As I've said, I'm studying evolution and astronomy; Science has always interested me since I was a kid, especially during my transition from religion (since you asked that during register B)), and that prompted me to study evolution (along with also loving animals). Astronomy was also one of my childhood fascinations, especially after reading some Carl Sagan during my teen years. My Parents and extended family have been religious but even though they generally accept science when it's convenient for them. I despise pseudoscience, so that's also going to be one of my missions after Uni: Destroying pseudoscience.

I enjoy discussing Philosophy, especially ethics, and I can see that that's a pretty big topic here. :D

What else what else? Oh yeah, my name is inspired by the Golden Watch scene from my all time favorite movie Pulp Fiction, and the 1809 is the year Charles Darwin was born, possibly my favorite scientists of all time. Oh yeah, and I also like a little bit of Star Trek. ;)

Thank you for reading, hope to see you in debates. Cheers!
Last edited by GoldenWatch1809 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Greetings Fellow Philosophical Vegans!

Post by Red »

Hey GoldenWatch! Pulp Fiction is my favourite movie too.

You seem to be my type of guy. Studies science, like philosophy... we got a lot in common here! Excited to see you around here!
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
GoldenWatch1809

Thanks Red! I've skimmed a few posts around here, and I can assure you, we're gonna be like 2 little Fonzies. And what's Fonzie like? (BTW is Toluca Lake your real location? lol)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome GoldenWatch, I hope you like it here!

Feel free to start some discussion threads, or jump into an existing one. No worries about necroposting, we don't have any rules about bumbing old threads.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

GoldenWatch1809 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:18 pm Thanks Red! I've skimmed a few posts around here, and I can assure you, we're gonna be like 2 little Fonzies. And what's Fonzie like? (BTW is Toluca Lake your real location? lol)
Cool?

And haha, no I live in NYC.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
GoldenWatch1809

brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:38 pm Welcome GoldenWatch, I hope you like it here!

Feel free to start some discussion threads, or jump into an existing one. No worries about necroposting, we don't have any rules about bumbing old threads.
Thanks Brimstone! I'm having trouble coming up with a thread idea anyway. :lol:
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Excellent intro post.
GoldenWatch1809 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:13 pmAfter I finish University I'm going to dedicate more time to vegan activism.
That's great. As you may be aware university students tend to be more open-minded than the general public and are therefore more open to the idea of veganism. Hence right now may be the best opportunity in your life to influence others in a positive way. It doesn't have to take much time. Just frequent, well-informed comments about veganism framed in a friendly way.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
GoldenWatch1809

Jebus wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:56 pm Excellent intro post.
GoldenWatch1809 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:13 pmAfter I finish University I'm going to dedicate more time to vegan activism.
That's great. As you may be aware university students tend to be more open-minded than the general public and are therefore more open to the idea of veganism. Hence right now may be the best opportunity in your life to influence others in a positive way. It doesn't have to take much time. Just frequent, well-informed comments about veganism framed in a friendly way.
Thanks Jebus!

I'm not sure how much more open-minded university students are compared to the general public, especially when it comes to their politics and what they study at University (The soft-science and humanities students, for example, are very eager to defend their field of study, and keep an eye out for even the vaguest of criticisms), though you might be right in the sense that Uni Students are more open to things like veganism, as you said. I know a few vegetarians around campus, but even less vegans.

Often when I bring it up it often ends in a 'Well it's obviously a good thing to practice, but I never see myself doing it" at best, and at worst, it's a bunch of BS regarding nutrition or the environment, or how vegans are always forcing their ethics on other people. :roll: I try convincing others when I have the opportunity, but it's often a gamble.

Have you ever been to Uni? Maybe your experience is a bit different from mine?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

GoldenWatch1809 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:19 pmHave you ever been to Uni? Maybe your experience is a bit different from mine?
Many moons ago. Maybe times have changed.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

Hi @Red, did you get bored again?

Does this make the seventh or eighth account?