Wheatgrass

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Wheatgrass

Post by Red »

Hey so quick question, is wheatgrass good nutritionally? My gym offers them as shots (I'm pretty sure there's no alcohol), and I did see this one guy on Youtube saying how a cup of it provides daily nutrients (though I'm pretty sure he's a quack). I want to be sure it's not like a fad food or anything like that. Some momos have claimed that it cures cancer, which I obviously don't believe, I'm just more curious about the health benefits.

Wikipedia generally has a good track record of things like this, and it seems to be comparable to spinach and broccoli (and offers a tiny amount of Vitamin B12). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheatgrass

Spinach still seems to be the best, but wheatgrass still offers a bountiful variety of nutrients.

Oh yeah, does it taste good? Or does it taste like actual grass?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Wheatgrass

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Tastes like grass. It's nutritious, but basically because it's vegetable juice. It's not magic.
I don't think I'd pay for it, but if it's free go for it?

The nice thing about wheat grass is it's grown from wheat berry sprouts, which makes it a very easy DIY vegetable source from an abundant and cheap grain. Grain sprouts are pretty sustainable as vegetables: convert something with high yield and good shelf stability (grain) into a replacement for something that has a low yield and spoils quickly (typical vegetables).
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:05 am Tastes like grass.
Yuck.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:05 amIt's nutritious, but basically because it's vegetable juice. It's not magic.
I don't think I'd pay for it, but if it's free go for it?
I guess I can get one after each gym visit, which is about 3 times a week.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:05 amThe nice thing about wheat grass is it's grown from wheat berry sprouts, which makes it a very easy DIY vegetable source from an abundant and cheap grain. Grain sprouts are pretty sustainable as vegetables: convert something with high yield and good shelf stability (grain) into a replacement for something that has a low yield and spoils quickly (typical vegetables).
Sounds convenient. Maybe I'll add it to my kitchen.

Anyways, on the topic of nutritious shakes, have you seen this video by Thomas Frank?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyyKrMeNPBM

I may try it, while also making sure everything is vegan.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Red wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:30 pm Sounds convenient. Maybe I'll add it to my kitchen.
Might not be worth it if it's yuck, though.
Let me know if you try it and like it.

You'd probably like microgreens more since it's not grass. I think you can do it with some high yielding seeds like chia. I don't know how it tastes. My guess is it's more of a middle ground vs. grass seeds.

Also, you don't need a special juicer for microgreens. You can't really just *eat* grass, but you can with a lot of other sprouts.

Red wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:30 pmAnyways, on the topic of nutritious shakes, have you seen this video by Thomas Frank?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyyKrMeNPBM
Can you cliff notes it for me? Very busy right now.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Just had a shot of wheatgrass. Don't drink it, I almost fucking threw up. Most putrid substance I have ever put into my body.

I'll try your recommendations brimstone. I'll also try drinking more of the other fruit and veggie juices my gym offers.

As for the Thomas Frank video, the ingredients for his smoothie are:
Kale (frozen)
Spinach (frozen)
Banana
Strawberries
Blackberries
Raspberries
Blueberries
Chia seeds (organic, whole)
Flax seeds (organic, coarsely ground)
Rolled oats
Almond milk (Silk unsweetened vanilla)
Peanut butter (Jif natural)
Whey protein (ON Gold Standard vanilla ice cream)

I'm gonna pass on the peanut butter and whey protein, but overall, I may try this shake.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Red wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:37 pm Just had a shot of wheatgrass. Don't drink it, I almost fucking threw up. Most putrid substance I have ever put into my body.
You're still young, you have lots of time to outdo wheatgrass.
Ever had a spirulina shot?
Red wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:37 pmI'll try your recommendations brimstone.
You have to be careful with sprouts and microgreens, because mold can be an issue. Make sure you follow some expert instructions.

I wouldn't put kale in a smoothie, too hard to blend up so it's gritty.
Spinach will blend OK.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:43 pm You're still young, you have lots of time to outdo wheatgrass.
I'll try to mix it with other things, maybe it'll help cancel the flavor while still offering nutrients. Like with spinach and potatoes.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:43 pmEver had a spirulina shot?
No but it has lemons which I'm not too keen on. I guess I'm gonna have to outdo those too?
Is it nutritious? Wikipedia gives a laundry list of nutritional values so I would assume so.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:43 pm You have to be careful with sprouts and microgreens, because mold can be an issue. Make sure you follow some expert instructions.
Will do. Would it require a special method of storage?
brimstoneSalad wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:43 pmI wouldn't put kale in a smoothie, too hard to blend up so it's gritty.
Spinach will blend OK.
Alrighty, I'll do that.

I had a juice from the gym that had spinach, cucumber, carrot, apple, and ginger. The cucumber was too potent and drowned out the other flavors, so would it be a good idea to throw a banana in there despite the high sugar amount?
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Spirulina tastes like a mouth-full of dirty lake water. Which it basically is.

It's the sprouting process that can result in mold, not the storage after.

I don't know about the banana, I guess try it? A little sugar from bananas isn't a big deal, I just wouldn't subsist on them.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:01 pm Spirulina tastes like a mouth-full of dirty lake water. Which it basically is.
Uuugh. Why would anyone drink this? I mean it's definitely extremely healthy but still.

Have you ever had one?
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Unfortunately.