I (Again) Don't Know What to Get For Christmas

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
esquizofrenico
Diet: Vegan

Re: I (Again) Don't Know What to Get For Christmas

Post by esquizofrenico »

"The Infinite Jest" is one of my favourite books, I must say however that I did not fully understood it and that for me it had more appeal as a collection of short stories rather than a novel. If you expect a traditional novel, you are going to spent 3/4 of the book thinking about what has to do what is occurring with anything else in the story. Only until very late in the novel do the different threads start to converge.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

esquizofrenico wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:18 am "The Infinite Jest" is one of my favourite books, I must say however that I did not fully understood it and that for me it had more appeal as a collection of short stories rather than a novel. If you expect a traditional novel, you are going to spent 3/4 of the book thinking about what has to do what is occurring with anything else in the story. Only until very late in the novel do the different threads start to converge.
Is it one of those books that's boring at first but then you can't really put it down once you get into it?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
esquizofrenico

Post by esquizofrenico »

I loved it from the start, it's just what I said: not until the middle of the story does it start to make sense as a whole, and you can get lost easily. In fact, I've read some people that recommend reading before starting an annotation that you don't find until about the middle of the novel, because that way at least you get an idea of the chronological order of the different stories. I would only feel comfortable recommending the book to someone that enjoys short stories, because the likelihood that you cannot appreciate the story as a whole is high (as I said, I did not get most of its meaning until I read commentaries by other people).
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

esquizofrenico wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:25 am I loved it from the start, it's just what I said: not until the middle of the story does it start to make sense as a whole, and you can get lost easily. In fact, I've read some people that recommend reading before starting an annotation that you don't find until about the middle of the novel, because that way at least you get an idea of the chronological order of the different stories. I would only feel comfortable recommending the book to someone that enjoys short stories, because the likelihood that you cannot appreciate the story as a whole is high (as I said, I did not get most of its meaning until I read commentaries by other people).
Thanks for the heads up so I know what I'm gonna be getting into.
They say there are a lot of footnotes, does that get annoying to keep looking at the bottom of the page?
-Leonardo da Vinci
esquizofrenico

Post by esquizofrenico »

Red wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:20 pm
esquizofrenico wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:25 am I loved it from the start, it's just what I said: not until the middle of the story does it start to make sense as a whole, and you can get lost easily. In fact, I've read some people that recommend reading before starting an annotation that you don't find until about the middle of the novel, because that way at least you get an idea of the chronological order of the different stories. I would only feel comfortable recommending the book to someone that enjoys short stories, because the likelihood that you cannot appreciate the story as a whole is high (as I said, I did not get most of its meaning until I read commentaries by other people).
Thanks for the heads up so I know what I'm gonna be getting into.
They say there are a lot of footnotes, does that get annoying to keep looking at the bottom of the page?
HAHAHAHA... The bottom of the page... That's a good one.

Some of the footnotes are dozens of pages long, so they don't fit at the bottom of the page. I suppose that in printed versions they put all of them at the end of the book. I think this is the perfect book for buying the digital version, is much more convenient, not having to go forwards and backwards continuously.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

esquizofrenico wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:24 am
HAHAHAHA... The bottom of the page... That's a good one.

Some of the footnotes are dozens of pages long, so they don't fit at the bottom of the page. I suppose that in printed versions they put all of them at the end of the book. I think this is the perfect book for buying the digital version, is much more convenient, not having to go forwards and backwards continuously.
Thanks for the heads up.. this oughta be good.

Personally though, I prefer printed books. I find it faster to read, and usually much easier to comprehend
-Leonardo da Vinci