Battle of Vukovar

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
teo123
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Battle of Vukovar

Post by teo123 »

So, what do you guys here think, is it reasonable to believe that Battle of Vukovar (in 1991) actually happened? I think it isn't, here is a forum post in which I summarize my reasons for that:
https://atheistforums.org/thread-55569- ... pid1850104
I was an active participant.
Maybe. Though what you did is not explaining me where the evidence is, but explaining away the apparent lack of evidence. That's not quite meeting the burden of proof. Where can I buy a bomb to prove myself that those things actually exist? If I can't do that easily, where can I find an explanation of how bombs work from a thermodynamic point of view (since they, as I explained earlier, appear to contradict the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics). And I am currently studying at the university of Osijek. Osijek allegedly also got quite destroyed at the same time as Vukovar. How come I don't see any damaged buildings? Was it also reconstructed by NATO, like you claim Vukovar was? Where can I find evidence of that? If the event is not mythological, how come do the names of people and places, such as Ovcara (=sheep's blood), Mesic (=meat-eater), Tudman (=foreign ruler), Vucic (=little wolf), Branimir Glavas (=the main peace-protector) and perhaps even Slobodan Milosevic (=one to whom freedom is dear), appear symbolic? And so on...
The real knowledge is one that is independent of the experience. If something can't be known except by experience, it can't really be known. If the way you know God exists is that you experienced it, then you don't really know he exists. And if you can't know that Vukovar happened in a way that's independent of experience, then you don't really know Vukovar happened.
And so the hundreds that were punished for the crimes they did in Vukovar (if they actually were, I don't think it can be really proven that those people even existed), that was unjust, because they were punished for the crime that we cannot truly know they commited.
And, no, I don't think my position is comparable to the Holocaust Revisionism. The best argument against Holocaust Revisionism is the argument from silence (If tens of millions of people weren't killed by the Nazis, what then happened to them?) right? The same argument doesn't really apply to the Battle of Vukovar, since the mainstream history claims that only around 3000 people died there.
teo123
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Battle of Vukovar

Post by teo123 »

OK, I get it, this isn't the right forum for historical revisionism... apart from rejecting the mainstream history of Jesus.