3 Month Vegan Here

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
TheVeganNimbus
Diet: Vegan

3 Month Vegan Here

Post by TheVeganNimbus »

Hello all! I recently became vegan through self-researching the health benefits. Decided I needed to change my diet and I went all-out. Throughout these three months, I started to become more and more convinced in the vegan philosophy. I was originally introduced to veganism by my friend but she wasn't too convincing (she is a christian and mostly made the moral argument, which at the time did not change my opinion), but what finally pushed me over was watching Penn Gillette's transformation into plant-based dieting. Following his diet, I am down almost 70 lbs in three months. I feel great and am glad to have made the change!

edit: I am an atheist. Don't know if I made that clear anywhere.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: 3 Month Vegan Here

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome!

The moral argument coming from a theist might be unconvincing, but have you heard non-theistic moral arguments around animal suffering?
Are you familiar with moral concepts like utilitarianism? Like the notion that a world with less suffering is preferable to one with more, and how objectively speaking when it comes to suffering, arbitrary lines at species make about as much sense as arbitrary lines at race or gender?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome, and congratulations to your improvements.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Hey VeganNimbus, how long have you been Vegan?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
TheVeganNimbus

Post by TheVeganNimbus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:34 am Welcome!

The moral argument coming from a theist might be unconvincing, but have you heard non-theistic moral arguments around animal suffering?
Are you familiar with moral concepts like utilitarianism? Like the notion that a world with less suffering is preferable to one with more, and how objectively speaking when it comes to suffering, arbitrary lines at species make about as much sense as arbitrary lines at race or gender?
Sorry if I made some things unclear. I do currently support a moral argument for veganism, but back during my meat-eating-days, I was unconvinced by only that. Jeebus' "How to Become a Vegan in 4.5 Hours" was pretty useful for educating myself more on all three of the main arguments. Becoming vegan was like becoming an atheist for me, at least recently. I'm just one of those people who cannot go back on something that makes too much sense to me. Glad to be in this community!
TheVeganNimbus

Post by TheVeganNimbus »

Jebus wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:37 am Welcome, and congratulations to your improvements.
Thanks, glad to be here!
TheVeganNimbus

Post by TheVeganNimbus »

Red wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:33 pm Hey VeganNimbus, how long have you been Vegan?
Three months, but I only recently started educating myself on the moral and environmental benefits. Glad I came around.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

TheVeganNimbus wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:42 pm
Red wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:33 pm Hey VeganNimbus, how long have you been Vegan?
Three months, but I only recently started educating myself on the moral and environmental benefits. Glad I came around.
Oh, I didn't see the topic title! :P
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
TheVeganNimbus

Post by TheVeganNimbus »

Red wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:28 pm
TheVeganNimbus wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:42 pm
Oh, I didn't see the topic title! :P
Haha, it's all good.
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile »

Welcome to the forum!