Which type of Milk your consuming ??

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
invincibleIJIN
Diet: Vegetarian

Which type of Milk your consuming ??

Post by invincibleIJIN »

Any strongly held opinions or experience with the following kinds of milk:

1. Full fat cow’s milk
2. Semi-skimmed cow’s milk
3. Skimmed cow’s milk
4. Soya milk
5. Oat milk
6. Rice milk
7. Hemp Milk
8. Almond Milk

Which one you consuming right now and how it is helpful for you.
cornivore
Diet: Vegan

Re: Which type of Milk your consuming ??

Post by cornivore »

None of the above, but not too long ago I tried drinking soy milk from a lotus shaped bowl. It was entertaining, yet I don't tolerate that or the additives well enough to call it a good experience afterward (I also don't think it tastes good heated—reminds me of condensed mushroom soup, yuk). I think I've had enough milk in general, although some of the vegetable juices are thick like that, so I'm not even sure what distinguishes a milk from a juice (except I can tolerate juice better when I cook it myself). Before this I'd tried oat milk mixed with brandy, which is pretty good (but I don't drink alcohol now, and never did much drinking as such). Tonight I had a freshly pressed pot full of carrot juice mixed with cinnamon and brown sugar (and that's as good or better than a hot milk chocolate drink, methinks).
Lay Vegan

Post by Lay Vegan »

@invincibleIJIN

Unfortunately, when it comes to nutrition most of the plant milks pale in comparison to cow milk. Unless they're fortified with vitamins/minerals, they're probably nothing more than glorified sugar water.

Since protein is a big concern for me, I prefer Silk's Chocolate Protein Nutmilk :P (is there perhaps a better name?) It's got about 10 grams of protein per cup and 15% more calcium, so it actually pacts a bigger punch than dairy milk. Sweetened/fortified Soy Milk is another go-to for me. How can people drink the organic unsweetened variety?? :oops:

I hear pea milk is also a good variety. It's got about the same amount of protein as cow milk, but has fewer calories, and I hear it tastes pretty great for a drink that is comprised of peas. :D

Unfortified coconut milk isn't very nutritious, but I've used it to thicken some of my vegetable soups.

What are your favorites?
carnap
Anti-Vegan Troll

Post by carnap »

I use 1% fat milk and unsweetened soy milk. Generally I think actual milk works the best for baking where as I'll use soy milk in cereal and other non-baking applications. Taste wises I prefer soy milk.
I'm here to exploit you schmucks into demonstrating the blatant anti-intellectualism in the vegan community and the reality of veganism. But I can do that with any user name.
cornivore

Post by cornivore »

Almond milk is being recalled for undeclared dairy. :roll:
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

None of them. I don't understand why orange juice (or orange milk) is not in the same category. Why is every white drink classified as "milk"?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:41 pm None of them. I don't understand why orange juice (or orange milk) is not in the same category. Why is every white drink classified as "milk"?
I think it has more to do with fat content. Milks usually come from things with high fat content like coconuts, other nuts, oilseeds.

Oat and rice milk are odd. The starches emulate the creaminess of fat, I suppose.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:45 pm I think it has more to do with fat content. Milks usually come from things with high fat content like coconuts, other nuts, oilseeds.
I think it has more to do with marketability taking advantage of a ridiculous human habit; i.e. cereal must be eaten out of a bowl, in the morning while soaked in a white liquid.
cornivore

Post by cornivore »

Jebus wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:41 pm Why is every white drink classified as "milk"?
The FDA defines milk as the lacteal secretion of a cow, and are trying to ban any non-dairy drinks from being called milk: FDA Plan to Censor "Milk" in Plant-Based Food Names May Violate the First Amendment

survey results indicate 98 percent of shoppers don’t confuse soy milk with normal milk. They purchase plant milk not because they got tricked, but because "they know it’s not from dairy." The Plant Based Foods Association also did a recent poll showing 78 percent of people who drink cows’ milk exclusively call the alternatives "milk", and 41 percent of all consumers buy both kinds —The FDA’s Ridiculous War Against Soy and Almond Milk Looks Vaguely More Winnable Than Ever
Maybe since it ended up in almond milk lately they'll just start declaring milk in the ingredients and keep using that magic word. One of the reasons I don't eat imitation food is because I figured something like that was bound to happen, and there we are (I guess they don't have anything better to do than try to kill people who are allergic, or that was some kind of dirty trick in this little food fight). It's all really a synonym for shit, in my book, so this is a bit silly. Is the FDA trying to say that nobody can even claim it's "not milk"? Like non-dairy would indicate otherwise, except that "milk" may not be mentioned, even to specify that something is milk-free... otherwise they could just label it as soy-a-milk (where -a- means anti).
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

cornivore wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:37 pm The FDA defines milk as the lacteal secretion of a cow, and are trying to ban any non-dairy drinks from being called milk:
They already made it illegal to label non-dairy drinks milk in France.