Am I Going Crazy?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Am I Going Crazy?

Post by Red »

I haven't been very active yesterday or today, and it's because I've been very upset and very nervous.

As some of you may know, I have a feral cat that lives in my backyard, along with her mate, and they've been there for about a year now. I always fed it leftover meat my family didn't eat, and sometimes I give them leftover meat stored in the fridge when they weren't looking.

However, for the past few months, the cat, Mittens, has gotten more trusting of me, and often stands on my stoop waiting for me to bring more food, or maybe play with (she likes to rub up against my leg sometimes). A few months ago, I noticed that she had these things popping out of her chest, and they turned out to be nipples, which obviously means that she is pregnant or has had babies.

I talked about this with online friends, and most suggested getting her spayed and her mate neutered. I was reluctant at first, but am now on board with it, since most cats are spayed or neutered anyway, and it is a safe and humane thing to do. I urged my parents, but they refused, claiming that it costs money, and is not supposed to be their responsibility anyways.

I was upset at this, but didn't think much of it at the time. Fast forward to just yesterday, when I was sitting at the kitchen table, I looked outside and saw Mittens with a few of her babies. I was shocked, and had no idea when she had them, but I honestly was pretty happy.

The rest of the day was pretty normal, until near the end of the day when I walked into my bathroom, I overheard one of my neighbors yell to my other neighbor that he saw a kitten get hit by a car. As soon as I heard this, I ran outside to ask him about it. He told me the details, it was gruesome, but seemed to be quick and painless. I was already at the verge of tears, and then he told me about how the litter I saw today wasn't Mittens's first litter- it was her third. He said that the first two died during the winter due to the harsh cold. I didn't show it at the time, but when I got home and told my parents about it, I cried for about 3 hours. They were amazed by how badly I took it.

After that, I always kept an eye on Mittens and her mate, because I want to be sure that she is happy. I haven't seen her Kittens, which I constantly look for, but they always seem to be okay, even though the parents aren't always looking after them.

Now, I don't feel like doing anything, I don't feel like talking, sleeping, or doing anything I usually find relaxing. I have many things I want to do this summer, and I don't want this to consume it. I often find myself going outside just to check on the cats. I am concerned if Mittens is depressed due to her losses, and her physical and mental state.

I want to get the cats spayed and neutered, but this is being blocked by my parents.

What now?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Am I Going Crazy?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I'm sorry to hear that.
If your parents won't allow it, then I'm afraid there may be nothing you can do.

Stray cats don't lead very good lives most of the time. Maybe you can contact a local TNR group, and they'd do it if you can catch her?
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:26 pm Stray cats don't lead very good lives most of the time. Maybe you can contact a local TNR group, and they'd do it if you can catch her?
I might be able to do that, but we'll see.
I'm feeling much better about the accident. Still hurt, but coming to terms with it more.
I'm going to try my hardest to maximize the overall life quality for the cats.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

I sent an email to this site:
https://sites.google.com/tnrutopia.org/ ... authuser=0
We'll see if they're able to help despite the circumstances.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile »

I am sorry to hear about this. Why are things being blocked by your parents if you are 69 years old as stated in your profile. Or is it not your real age; you just put that as a joke or something?
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Jamie in Chile wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:45 pm I am sorry to hear about this. Why are things being blocked by your parents if you are 69 years old as stated in your profile. Or is it not your real age; you just put that as a joke or something?
It was just a joke.
Things are getting better, I often see Mittens cuddling with her kittens, and I give them as much food as I can. However, the TNR company I contacted hasn't gotten back to me in like a week. We'll see what happens though.
-Leonardo da Vinci
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Weird. I just recently rescued a feral kitten. Now I guess I have a cat. The Vet said it was a 4 week old girl, but 6 weeks later it has definitive testicles, so either the Vet was wrong, or it's just girl balls.

(And when I say rescue, I don't mean I went to a shelter and adopted a cat. I mean my partner and I found a lone kitten crying in distress with obviously infected eyes and bloody from injuries, took it to a Vet and the SPCA to give it to them, but they both said they had no room, so....I guess I have a cat now..)

I plan on getting it (now most likely a he, due to testicles) neutered. I had a friend/relative suggest getting it declawed, but there is no way I'm going to do that. I'm not a huge fan of de-balling, but it seems the best path because it's a rescue, and I don't want it to mate and exacerbate the already overpopulated feline population, but de-clawing would just be cruel. If it escapes our cozy confines, it wouldn't be able to defend itself, and my main concern is the well being of this individual ball of fur and fangs. (Side note, wholly crap, this little kitten can let off farts that bring a grown man to tears.....is this normal?.. )
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

Apologies for not responding directly to the OP, I got side tracked.

There are groups that will provide spaying/neutering services for free. You would have to catch the cat though, and I don't know how you feel about that. (Recent first hand tip, wear gloves.... even tiny cats have extremely sharp claws and teeth. A bit of tuna may help persuade the feline, if that's something you're willing to do.)

Since your parents aren't willing to pay for such a service, and I assume you are not able to pay either, there is a ....play you may be able to use. It's not guaranteed, but just a thought.

If you have the cat, and take it to a place that provides spaying services, you could take the feline in, state that you have no money and wish to give the cat up for adoption. If they say they can't take it, you could ask them where you can "dispose" of the cat then. (Implying you are going to kill and dump the cat. Obviously this is a ploy, so don't play it too hard.) If they do take the cat, they will by default spay her.

Just a thought. And I know we often exchange sarcastic responses, but I really hope you can figure out something to help the poor feline.... I've never had a cat, but now that I do, I baby the hell out of it. Even though the damn thing leaves claw shaped holes in my flesh when it runs up me for "cat reasons", i can't stay mad at it.

Best of luck.

Taxation is theft.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Oh yeah, I forgot to update you guys.
I successfully had Mittens and her Kittens spayed/neutered, along with another cat who gave birth. Her Kittens were younger, so we're hoping to put them up for adoption. There are still a few cats in my yard we have to get a hold of, but now, I can manage the colony. I've been pretty occupied with the TNR stuff.

Oh yeah, on a related note, my neighbors have a dog that's about 15 years old, and I pity it every time when I see it outside. It's old, blind, possibly deaf, doesn't move much, and sometimes has seizures. My neighbor wants to put it down, but his sister says "It's God's Creation!" which I assume she just says 'cause she's too cowardly to actually do the right thing and put the dog down. Anything I can do about that?
-Leonardo da Vinci
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

Red wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:24 pm I successfully had Mittens and her Kittens spayed/neutered, along with another cat who gave birth. Her Kittens were younger, so we're hoping to put them up for adoption.
Cool. Keep us updated on the adoptions.
Red wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:24 pm Oh yeah, on a related note, my neighbors have a dog that's about 15 years old, and I pity it every time when I see it outside. It's old, blind, possibly deaf, doesn't move much, and sometimes has seizures. My neighbor wants to put it down, but his sister says "It's God's Creation!" which I assume she just says 'cause she's too cowardly to actually do the right thing and put the dog down. Anything I can do about that?
You're a smart guy, I think you know the options available; depending upon the flexibility of your own morality, of course. Just consider that although the animal may be suffering, if it's caretakers are doing everything they can to help it, then it may just have to suffer until the end. Much like humans, an animal may be miserable, but still want to keep living.

Taxation is theft.