Man keeps 14 year old hamburger

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Man keeps 14 year old hamburger

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rxAXzWDZwQ

This man has kept a hamburger in his jacket pocket since 1999. It was 14 years old at the time the video was posted. It would now be 19 years old.

He purchased the hamburger from McDonalds and kept it for a while to sell dietary supplements, then when he moved, he put his jacket in the cupboard and let the hamburger sit there.

So here are my questions:

The hamburger does not look anywhere near as old as it is. This has been said to be because it is packed with preservatives and chemicals which means that it does not rot. However, McDonald's has stated that it is because bacteria have been unable to grow on the burger due to the fact that there are not the nutrients for them to grow. Is this true?

As well as that, what is the morality in this man buying the burger not to eat it but to sell dietary supplements? In my mind, this is worse than just buying it to eat it, because the cow has not only been killed but it was killed to be eaten and it wasn't even eaten. I am not saying that it would be all right if it was just eaten, but I think it is even worse that the cow was killed not even for any reason now. To get people to eat healthy, but still most likely a diet that would contain meat?

I look forward to hearing other people's thoughts on this.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Re: Man keeps 14 year old hamburger

Post by Red »

Not very vegan. 2.7/10
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum

Red wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:11 am Not very vegan. 2.7/10
That was kind of the reason I put it on the "Rate the Video" thread. I wanted to hear the perspective of fellow vegans.

I see you've changed your profile picture. I don't like it. You'll alienate voters. Change it back or watch Kanye get his 9th term as President.
Nightcell001

Post by Nightcell001 »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:worse than just buying it to eat it, because the cow has not only been killed but it was killed to be eaten and it wasn't even eaten
I never understood this line of thinking. Why is it worse to kill a sentient being depending on what you do with the end product ? The cow died already, in the same conditions regardless of what is being done to the meat. Eating the burger, throwing it away, keeping it, it is all the same for the cow. It died.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:23 am I see you've changed your profile picture. I don't like it. You'll alienate voters. Change it back or watch Kanye get his 9th term as President.
I actually tried to make it this:
1200px-Bill_Clinton.jpg
I can't fix the file size though. Can you help me, my dearest VP?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum

Red wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:15 pm
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:23 am I see you've changed your profile picture. I don't like it. You'll alienate voters. Change it back or watch Kanye get his 9th term as President.
1200px-Bill_Clinton.jpg
Here you go:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:24 am
Red wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:15 pm
1200px-Bill_Clinton.jpg
Here you go:

Now can you tell me how to change my username? I would like to change it to "Blue" because you have a red face and I have a blue face.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:32 am

Here you go:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:32 amNow can you tell me how to change my username? I would like to change it to "Blue" because you have a red face and I have a blue face.
I can't get at this pic, mofo.
And you'd have to contact the mayor if you wanna change your name.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum

Red wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:36 pm
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:32 am

Here you go:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:32 amNow can you tell me how to change my username? I would like to change it to "Blue" because you have a red face and I have a blue face.
I can't get at this pic, mofo.
Here:

And you'd have to contact the mayor if you wanna change your name.
This mayor?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7-QCnoQ89E
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Nightcell001 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:48 am
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:worse than just buying it to eat it, because the cow has not only been killed but it was killed to be eaten and it wasn't even eaten
I never understood this line of thinking. Why is it worse to kill a sentient being depending on what you do with the end product ? The cow died already, in the same conditions regardless of what is being done to the meat. Eating the burger, throwing it away, keeping it, it is all the same for the cow. It died.
Because it is unlikely that he replaced the burger with a banana. It is likely that he bought another animal product which he had not purchased had he eaten the burger.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.