Gardening and a question

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
carnap
Anti-Vegan Troll

Re: Gardening and a question

Post by carnap »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:00 am

If you're technologically inclined, you can keep rats and squirrels away with a sentry gun:
https://boingboing.net/2012/03/26/howto-build-a-robotic-squirrel.html
This wouldn't work for rats, they are nocturnal and far more cautious than squirrels. Rats also avoid being in open spaces which makes detection difficult but once you block one pathway they'll just find another.

Dealing with rats typically means killing rats. The best alternative to that is to just make your garden rat proof but that is only realistic for a small garden.
I'm here to exploit you schmucks into demonstrating the blatant anti-intellectualism in the vegan community and the reality of veganism. But I can do that with any user name.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

carnap wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:59 pm This wouldn't work for rats, they are nocturnal and far more cautious than squirrels. Rats also avoid being in open spaces which makes detection difficult but once you block one pathway they'll just find another.
Sounds like that would make things easier, as long as you had a path or something around your garden where it was open and they couldn't creep through obscuring plants.
The trouble with squirrels seems to be their jumping around.
carnap
Anti-Vegan Troll

Post by carnap »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:02 am Sounds like that would make things easier, as long as you had a path or something around your garden where it was open and they couldn't creep through obscuring plants.
The issue is that they eat the things in your garden, if you make on path undesirable they will just find another.
I'm here to exploit you schmucks into demonstrating the blatant anti-intellectualism in the vegan community and the reality of veganism. But I can do that with any user name.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

I read about a rat/mouse trap that you can make with a dowel and a bucket. There is a video online, but the person made their version lethal You have the option to leave it so rats will fall in the bucket unharmed, and you can relocate them if you'd like.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

As I understand it, rats are not good jumpers like squirrels are. Seems like you'd only need to protect a small strip around the garden.