Hello all!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Abaxvahl
Diet: Vegan

Hello all!

Post by Abaxvahl »

Hello Philosophical Vegan forums!

I'm a newer vegan for ethical, ascetical, environmental, and then health reasons (in that order, and because of it I'm horrible at the nutrition aspects of veganism, especially since I did no planning for it). I made the switch on the first of February 2018, but only since the beginning of this week I've begun to eat somewhat properly from following the resources given by Unnatural Vegan (which is also how I found this forum).

I'm also new to studying philosophy, though I love it so far, and I'm working my way through Platonism (and Neo-Platonism), Stoicism, Aristotelianism and various forms of Idealism, since large amounts of these philosophies seem to have influenced the way I think about things already. In addition to that I've picked up a lot of so-called "Tolstoyanism" from his later writings as I've not read any of his literature except the Kreutzer Sonata, as that is part of the philosophy. I agree with a lot of it, but disagree with some minor things so far (not disagreements in taking away from it or changing the core, but just adding to it, though the additions don't change the philosophy in any significant way).

I hope to learn some things about philosophy and especially veganism (and the things related to it) while on this forum. :)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Hello all!

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome to the forum, very cool avatar!
What inspired you to go vegan? Any particular arguments or documentaries?
BuddyMaltese

Post by BuddyMaltese »

Hello, and welcome!
I think it's really neat how much you enjoy Philosophy!
I'm also a big fan of Unnatural Vegan :)
Have you read any animal rights philosophy pieces? Personally I'd love to, but there's so many to choose form that I don't even know where to start!
Abaxvahl

Post by Abaxvahl »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:28 pm Welcome to the forum, very cool avatar!
What inspired you to go vegan? Any particular arguments or documentaries?
Thank you! My avatar is by Amy Sol, I love her work.

Earthlings in particular helped, though I still haven't finished it yet, but more than that was reflection about the "impurity" of eating animals, and neo-Luddism of all things. Though I'm not one really, I share a lot of their sentiments, and I expanded it (and related views) to include animal agriculture, propaganda and memes (in the spreading of an idea through culture sense) that keep people eating meat.
BuddyMaltese wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:46 pm Hello, and welcome!
I think it's really neat how much you enjoy Philosophy!
I'm also a big fan of Unnatural Vegan :)
Have you read any animal rights philosophy pieces? Personally I'd love to, but there's so many to choose form that I don't even know where to start!
Thank you!

I haven't read many at all yet, since I agree with mostly any approach to come to this conclusion, though I did read the ethics essay by Gary Yourofsky, but my favorite one so far is "All Animals Are Equal" by Peter Singer.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Welcome to the forum Abaxvahl!
Are you willing to discuss religion here? You don't have to if you fear that it would be alienating.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Abaxvahl

Post by Abaxvahl »

Red wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:02 pm Welcome to the forum Abaxvahl!
Are you willing to discuss religion here? You don't have to if you fear that it would be alienating.
Thank you!

I'm willing to discuss it, though I'm not sure I'll have much to say about it, as only yesterday I received my copy of the Blackwell Companion to Natural Theology, and have begun to really look into all the arguments surrounding this issue.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Welcome!

You seem like you'll fit in well here.

Most of us like Unnatural Vegan, and (obviously) have an interest in philosophy. Although some of us aren't as well versed in it as others, so be gentle when debating... :lol: ( Just kidding about being gentle, be honest and state your opinion. Debate forums are for debates. This isn't an "everybody agree then we'll sing songs" kinda forum. :twisted: )

Nice to meet you!
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
ClarySage
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by ClarySage »

I love Unnatural Vegan!

Hi there from a fellow newbie! :D