New Forum Game - Rate the Video above you

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Re: New Forum Game - Rate the Video above you

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:58 am
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:49 am
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:46 am

To clarify, he did show it earlier on in the video but I had forgotten what it looked like. I am not like Sherlock Holmes in and I do not have the ability to recall such information as the colour (WITH A "U"!) of walls and floors in comic strips. It would have helped if he had shown the third panel at the point in the video when he brought it up.
42 minutes and 10 seconds in.

LOVE IT when he talks about how you can't spell "FACT" and "TRACK" without "CAT". That cracked me up!
46 minutes and 51 seconds in.

Very clever how he compares the "tension" of Jon wondering where his pipe was and the "release" of him finding Garfield smoking it to Shakespeare's plays where lighthearted scenes act as a break in between tense scenes. One of these plays is "Romeo and Juliet". This play features a character called Tybalt who is called the "Prince of Cats". He is an evil and wrathful character, just like this man is portraying Garfield as. Although Garfield's wrath is passive, rather than Tybalt's active wrath, I still think that it would be a missed opportunity for this man not to bring Tybalt up.
48 minutes and 9 seconds in.

He mentioned Portuguese Death Carvings always ending with the same image. Didn't know about those. Very interesting! Might research them some more once I have finished the video.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:02 pm
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:49 am

42 minutes and 10 seconds in.

LOVE IT when he talks about how you can't spell "FACT" and "TRACK" without "CAT". That cracked me up!

Very clever how he compares the "tension" of Jon wondering where his pipe was and the "release" of him finding Garfield smoking it to Shakespeare's plays where lighthearted scenes act as a break in between tense scenes. One of these plays is "Romeo and Juliet". This play features a character called Tybalt who is called the "Prince of Cats". He is an evil and wrathful character, just like this man is portraying Garfield as. Although Garfield's wrath is passive, rather than Tybalt's active wrath, I still think that it would be a missed opportunity for this man not to bring Tybalt up.

He mentioned Portuguese Death Carvings always ending with the same image. Didn't know about those. Very interesting! Might research them some more once I have finished the video.
49 minutes and 6 seconds in.

Turned around to look outside my window. Turned back and saw the man with Jon Arbuckle's eyes. Creepy! I hope they fade away soon!
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:04 pm

Turned around to look outside my window. Turned back and saw the man with Jon Arbuckle's eyes. Creepy! I hope they fade away soon!
49 minutes and 16 seconds in.

They flew away.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:05 pm

They flew away.
51 minutes and 44 seconds in.

LOVED the bit about the pipe wrench. Not so keen on the fact that for lunch the man claims he had a ham sandwich and "potato chips". A ham sandwich is the death of an innocent pig and THEY ARE CRISPS NOT POTATO CHIPS GET IT RIGHT YOU YANKEE!

If you are wondering why I took so long to make this post, it's because a friend of mine invited me the visit him at the pub. You can imagine how it was when he asked me what I had been doing today and me wondering whether or not to tell him that I'd been watching a one-hour video analysing a Garfield comic strip.

And if you're wondering what I had at the pub, I had two pints of water and a bag of CRISPS!!!
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:39 pm

They flew away.

LOVED the bit about the pipe wrench. Not so keen on the fact that for lunch the man claims he had a ham sandwich and "potato chips". A ham sandwich is the death of an innocent pig and THEY ARE CRISPS NOT POTATO CHIPS GET IT RIGHT YOU YANKEE!

If you are wondering why I took so long to make this post, it's because a friend of mine invited me the visit him at the pub. You can imagine how it was when he asked me what I had been doing today and me wondering whether or not to tell him that I'd been watching a one-hour video analysing a Garfield comic strip.

And if you're wondering what I had at the pub, I had two pints of water and a bag of CRISPS!!!
51 minutes and 53 seconds in.

I know that this was quick, but I just realized something that is a bit unrealistic.

He thought it was necessary to say what he had for lunch - A ham sandwich, so-called "potato chips", an apple and a soda. He did not elaborate at all on what flavour of so-called "potato chips" he had, what sort of apple he had or what sort of soda he had, which seems out-of-character for what we know this man to be like.

I also don't know whether soda is an American phrase or not. I've never heard it used in Britain to describe a fizzy drink, but that could simply be because most Britons refer to a drink by its name (e.g. Cola).

And if you're wondering what flavour crisps I had at the pub, I had salted flavour crisps. And if you're wondering what my favourite kind of apple is, it is Granny Smith. Sorry Red (although you aren't an apple any more, or is that just what the CIA want me to think?).
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:47 pm

They flew away.

I know that this was quick, but I just realized something that is a bit unrealistic.

He thought it was necessary to say what he had for lunch - A ham sandwich, so-called "potato chips", an apple and a soda. He did not elaborate at all on what flavour of so-called "potato chips" he had, what sort of apple he had or what sort of soda he had, which seems out-of-character for what we know this man to be like.

I also don't know whether soda is an American phrase or not. I've never heard it used in Britain to describe a fizzy drink, but that could simply be because most Britons refer to a drink by its name (e.g. Cola).

And if you're wondering what flavour crisps I had at the pub, I had salted flavour crisps. And if you're wondering what my favourite kind of apple is, it is Granny Smith. Sorry Red (although you aren't an apple any more, or is that just what the CIA want me to think?).
52 minutes and 5 seconds in!

"Ceci n'est pas une pipe" in the background!

I thought I would end up rating this video only 9/10 rather than 10/10 because I thought that they would miss this terrific opportunity. There is still 7 minutes or so left but I can already tell that this is 10/10. Will keep you posted.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:52 pm
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:47 pm

52 minutes and 5 seconds in!

"Ceci n'est pas une pipe" in the background!

I thought I would end up rating this video only 9/10 rather than 10/10 because I thought that they would miss this terrific opportunity. There is still 7 minutes or so left but I can already tell that this is 10/10. Will keep you posted.
I've finished the video!

Here in this paragraph below is what I thought I would be writing:

This video is probably the best comedy video on YouTube that I have ever seen, due to how well put together it is and how much time and effort they must have spent performing, writing, researching and producing the special effects. I would be at a loss to say that this is anything other than a masterpiece, as the people who made the video clearly understand that laughter is the best medicine and clearly value comedy so much due to how much effort and time must have been spent on this video. I got this video all wrong from the beginning. I thought that this was just going to have ClickHole-level humour at best and at worst I would just be bored by it due to it being nonsensical. I was blind, but now I can see. This video is truly a comedic masterpiece and I highly recommend you watch it. If you don't, you are missing out.

But then I realized something towards the end - the video is no joke! Jim Davis truly has a philosophical genius that towers over that of Epicurus, Bentham and Nietzsche, a scientific genius that towers over that of Einstein, Newton and Darwin, and an artistic genius that towers over that of Da Vinci, Michelangelo and Arthur Szyk, and this genius manifests itself in the comic strip "Garfield".

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Garfield. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of art and philosophy most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Garfield's existentialist outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from René Magritte paintings, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Garfield truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Garfield’s existential catchphrase “I hate Mondays,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Garfield being a devil figure and hating the fact that the Torah is read in public on Mondays. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Jim Davis’s genius wit unfolds itself on their newspapers. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Garfield tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 😎

Anyway, here's my video, incidentally this one is also cat-related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQWYnU9wqQQ
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Post by Red »

I was going to respond to every post, but I don't feel like it, so, yeah.
Anyways, your video gave me diabetes. 8.2/10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TzRjGP6CNo
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum

Red wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:37 pm I was going to respond to every post, but I don't feel like it, so, yeah.
Anyways, your video gave me diabetes. 8.2/10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TzRjGP6CNo
Finally gotten down to watching this. Loved it!

Michael Rosen is absolutely savage. Also now know where some of your signatures came from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t45mTljLlWc
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Post by Red »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, if you wish to be my running mate, you must agree to have diplomatic relations with North Korea. Seeing a video with blasphemy against the great Democratic Republic of the United States from the great Democratic Republic of North Korea doesn't help anybody. We are one in the same. Sure, the U.S.A. has more nuclear missiles, money, healthful population, better education, complex technology, stronger economy, but we still have the same values. The United States must ally with North Korea to kill the space menace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCLSYSIJn1k
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci