If Donald Trump were to become a vegan, would you consider that a good thing?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Post Reply
User avatar
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1972
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:08 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

If Donald Trump were to become a vegan, would you consider that a good thing?

Post by Jebus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:50 am

Curious about your thoughts.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.

User avatar
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1206
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:57 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Ostrovegan
Location: The Matrix

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:53 am

Yes. I hate Orange Man, but it is a good thing for anybody to become vegan in the grand scheme of things. If a bunch of Nazis and paedophiles decided to go vegan, I would consider that a good thing, as it will put strain on the meat industry. What's more, it could encourage many of those who support Orange Man to go vegan, popularizing the movement. It is unlikely to delegitimate the movement as people don't tend to be so stupid that they will oppose something that is a good idea just because somebody they don't like supports it.

sykkelmannen
Junior Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 am
Diet: Freegan

Post by sykkelmannen » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:46 am

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:53 am
. It is unlikely to delegitimate the movement as people don't tend to be so stupid that they will oppose something that is a good idea just because somebody they don't like supports it.
I disagree. It's called DBA. Discredit by association. It's happening to veganism all the time.
Same thing with the moonlanding hoax. Whoever questions it is labeled a Flat Earther. The "logic": Flat Earthers say moonlanding was a hoax. Flat Earthers are nuts >> Moonlanding was real. Works like a charm.

Having said that, Trump isn't quite there on the Flat Earth level and I would like to think that this would make veganism appealing at least to a few more people. But Trump might just reach the Top Nut level in the future and then such association could be harmful. Think of the famous "Hitler was a vegetarian!" meme (the fact whether or not he was actually vegetarian is completely irrelevant).

User avatar
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1206
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:57 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Ostrovegan
Location: The Matrix

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:08 am

sykkelmannen wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:46 am
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:53 am
. It is unlikely to delegitimate the movement as people don't tend to be so stupid that they will oppose something that is a good idea just because somebody they don't like supports it.
I disagree. It's called DBA. Discredit by association. It's happening to veganism all the time.
Same thing with the moonlanding hoax. Whoever questions it is labeled a Flat Earther. The "logic": Flat Earthers say moonlanding was a hoax. Flat Earthers are nuts >> Moonlanding was real. Works like a charm.

Having said that, Trump isn't quite there on the Flat Earth level and I would like to think that this would make veganism appealing at least to a few more people. But Trump might just reach the Top Nut level in the future and then such association could be harmful. Think of the famous "Hitler was a vegetarian!" meme (the fact whether or not he was actually vegetarian is completely irrelevant).
Do you believe the moon landing was a hoax?

Here is a good video about the moon landing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhp-FTYSGe8

I see your point though. This has happened when the reactionary anti-DPRK propaganda outlet NK News attempted to discredit supporters of the DPRK by drawing attention to a few Neo-Nazis and White Supremacists who support the DPRK. Jason Unruhe has a good video about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_9sjLU_SGs

sykkelmannen
Junior Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 am
Diet: Freegan

Post by sykkelmannen » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:12 pm

I used it as an example to present the other point of view, just like Jebus probably anticipated someone would. Have no intention to derail this thread.

DAVEWISHENGRAD
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:16 pm
Religion: Christian
Diet: Vegan

Post by DAVEWISHENGRAD » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:27 pm

Hello,

The statement: "Life is Most Important in Life", is true, correct?
Thus we are each, "Most Important". We are not our actions.

"The fastest and surest way to turn someone away from real veganism is to call anyone a vegan and impart the lie of inequality."

There is no such thing as being vegan. To state it as such is to lie during a conversation about life and death. Please clean up your wording.

Thank you,

David

Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1008
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:28 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: Presumably somewhere

Post by Cirion Spellbinder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:28 pm

DAVEWISHENGRAD wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:27 pm
The statement: "Life is Most Important in Life", is true, correct?
Why?
DAVEWISHENGRAD wrote:Thus we are each, "Most Important". We are not our actions.
So would it be true that saving myself would be more important than actions that would save a million?
DAVEWISHENGRAD wrote:"The fastest and surest way to turn someone away from real veganism is to call anyone a vegan and impart the lie of inequality."
What is the lie of inequality? Otherwise, I agree with the quote.
DAVEWISHENGRAD wrote:There is no such thing as being vegan.
Define vegan.

DAVEWISHENGRAD
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:16 pm
Religion: Christian
Diet: Vegan

Post by DAVEWISHENGRAD » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:33 am

"Why?"

Because nothing is more important to life, than life. If you have something more important to present, you must present it without ever using life.
When you agree to that truth, we can proceed. Anything less is trolling and is hypocrisy (a type of lie).

I will try to help you proceed, but we must start at square one.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests