New Books

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Re: New Books

Post by Red »

Heya guys, anyone have any good recommendations for Objective vs Subjective morality books? All the books I tried to find via Google involved religion . . .

I'm starting to develop in interest for this stuff (and I haven't forgotten about those questions I wanna ask about objective morality).
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Have you read Moral Tribes yet? I think Greene takes a really good approach to the topic.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

I have, and I'm planning on rereading it, since I think I'll have a better recall the second time around, and I don't remember all the linguistics.
But uh yeah, if I read Moral Tribes, do you think that's all I'll really need?
-Leonardo da Vinci
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Red wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:47 pmBut uh yeah, if I read Moral Tribes, do you think that's all I'll really need?
Well, you don't need to know anything more than you know now. How much you need to know depends on what you want to do with it. I don't really know any other good books on the subject, since it's not a topic I've pursued very deeply. In my experience, trying to convert people to your ethical philosophy is unnecessary and ineffective in the process of convincing them. Morals are very, very stubborn so it's often best to try and cater your viewpoint to their morals (eg. the dogs vs pigs argument, or the 'less bureaucracy' argument for UBI).
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

miniboes wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:27 pm
Red wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:47 pmBut uh yeah, if I read Moral Tribes, do you think that's all I'll really need?
Well, you don't need to know anything more than you know now. How much you need to know depends on what you want to do with it. I don't really know any other good books on the subject, since it's not a topic I've pursued very deeply. In my experience, trying to convert people to your ethical philosophy is unnecessary and ineffective in the process of convincing them. Morals are very, very stubborn so it's often best to try and cater your viewpoint to their morals (eg. the dogs vs pigs argument, or the 'less bureaucracy' argument for UBI).
Aw, that's a shame. I was actually looking to get more familiar with it so I can have debates with people about it.
But I guess it's not all bad. Maybe I'll write an essay for school about the basics of morality.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Red wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:06 pm
miniboes wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:27 pm
Aw, that's a shame. I was actually looking to get more familiar with it so I can have debates with people about it.
But I guess it's not all bad. Maybe I'll write an essay for school about the basics of morality.
I'm not sure about books, since that's so general. There are some books on utilitarianism and effective altruism, but I'm not sure about realism or consequentialism broadly.

https://plato.stanford.edu/

This is a good place to start, though. Encyclopedias can tend to be more useful on subjects like these where it's mainly coming to understand the different positions and arguments.
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by DarlBundren »

Red wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:57 pm
brimstoneSalad wrote:There are many books on genetic engineering, but they're more instructional/text books for students (and they're ridiculously expensive if you want something remotely up to date).

Something like:
An Introduction to Genetic Engineering 3rd Edition
by Dr Desmond S. T. Nicholl

That should be easy to follow.
Holy shit, 70 bucks? Sounds a little bit too much. Sounds a little too expensive for just paper, carbon, and ink. Why is the hardcover cheaper than paperback?
Buy older editions on Abebooks. That's what I do.

That said, textbooks are great, but you have to be a very disciplined reader to read a textbook from cover to cover. I'd start with something more accessible.
eddapugal876

Post by eddapugal876 »

I haven't read much books though , but the one which really influenced me by reading was Life is what you make it by preeti shenoy.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

eddapugal876 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:50 pm I haven't read much books though , but the one which really influenced me by reading was Life is what you make it by preeti shenoy.
Just read up on it, might be interested in getting it, but I wanna see what others think (and if they've read it).
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Red wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:56 pm
eddapugal876 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:50 pm I haven't read much books though , but the one which really influenced me by reading was Life is what you make it by preeti shenoy.
Just read up on it, might be interested in getting it, but I wanna see what others think (and if they've read it).
I'd take that with a grain of salt, since it was a spammer. ;)