Hello!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Natashaa
Diet: Vegan

Hello!

Post by Natashaa »

Hello everybody,

First of all, I apologise for any spelling or grammar mistakes, English is not my main language.
I'm a vegan and I'm here because I like to read discussions and discuss all kinds of food related issues in a non-hostile and rational way.
Normally I'm to scared to discuss topics related to veganism because I often feel like people judge me for not doing veganism "the right way" because I'm not folowing a HCLF, 80/10/10, raw food etc. diet or for not being a huge vegan activist.
I'm just a vegan junk food eating vegan who loves animals and doesnt judge other people for being vegetarian, vegan, meat eater or any other life style choice.
Although I would love to see more people adopting a vegan lifestyle, I also feel that what you eat is your own choice.

I hope this kind of mindset is welcome on this forum and if so, I'm looking forward to the interesting discussions and information on this forum!
Dream Sphere

Re: Hello!

Post by Dream Sphere »

Your English is actually quite good. It isn't perfect, but I'm a native speaker and mine isn't either. What's most important is that what you've said is completely understandable and not confusing at all. :)

I've dabbled in junk food Veganism for some times, but both concern for my health and concern to show people that Veganism can be healthy (the latter is most important to me,) has gotten me to eat a mostly healthy diet.

HCLF isn't necessarily the healthiest Vegan diet though. It's healthy to get a good amount of polyunsaturated fats from sources like walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, and sunflower seeds, and canola oil. (Though canola oil doesn't have other nutrients like the nuts and seeds have, so it shouldn't be your primary source of healthy fat.)

Also, if high carb means high sugar, then that isn't good either. Though some sugar is unavoidable, you should try to stick to eating complex carb foods with lots of fibre (and protein to boot) like beans. Instead of stuff like sweet fruit.

That's only if you want to start to set a good example for others. I figure being a junk food Vegan is better than not being Vegan at all, but you might be able to reach other people better and get them interested in Veganism if you're apparently healthy.

Edit: also raw food diets are neither the healthiest nor most practical. Many foods become more nutritious due to increased bioavailability from being cooked. Veggies with vitamin A are a great example of that. Also, cooked foods are usually more palatable and easier to digest, so you can eat more of them easier, to get all the nutrients you need from the food.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

It's important for food to be tasty too, so people can see that it's not about missing out on everything that tastes good. There's probably a middle ground in there somewhere.
Natashaa wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:59 am I'm just a vegan junk food eating vegan who loves animals and doesnt judge other people for being vegetarian, vegan, meat eater or any other life style choice.
Although I would love to see more people adopting a vegan lifestyle, I also feel that what you eat is your own choice.
Of course it is a choice and we can't force it on people, and shaming people probably isn't helpful to convince them either.
But some choices people make harm others. That doesn't just go for diet. Somebody driving a fuel efficient car vs. a "hummer" to work every day is a choice, and it has consequences to the environment and others.

There's a middle ground there, too. We shouldn't be jerks to people, or try to force them, but it's important to remember that not all choices are the same, and there are some choices that really harm others. Choices are not just personal matters, but social ones too. People are free to make the right or wrong choice on many topics, but it's important not to fall into relativism and say all choices are the same and there's no such thing as a bad choice.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome Natashaa,

Do you aspire to eat a more healthful diet?

Do you aspire to get involved in activism?

If no, then why not?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.