The Tavern

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: The Tavern

Post by PsYcHo »

In recent days, I have prepared dishes for my partner containing no meat. Not only did they not notice the lack of meat (Indian food is a great first step), they actually loved the dishes and requested I make them again....

Should I mention the lack of meat to try to make them consider changing (they have made it clear that dietary changes are not a concern), or should I just shut up and keep cooking?
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PsYcHo wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:04 am In recent days, I have prepared dishes for my partner containing no meat. Not only did they not notice the lack of meat (Indian food is a great first step), they actually loved the dishes and requested I make them again....

Should I mention the lack of meat to try to make them consider changing (they have made it clear that dietary changes are not a concern), or should I just shut up and keep cooking?
That's awesome!
I would say just keep cooking for now. Food evangelism is very powerful.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

Two more meatless meals, rave reviews.. :twisted:

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Nice, what did you make?
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

I cheated these times, and we went out to eat. I just ordered a few new Indian dishes that used eggplant and spinach/potato as the main ingredients. And something cauliflower based.

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PsYcHo wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:25 pm I cheated these times, and we went out to eat. I just ordered a few new Indian dishes that used eggplant and spinach/potato as the main ingredients. And something cauliflower based.
Have you tried out any mock meats, like beyond meat, in cooking at home?
It's a little more expensive, but good to show people how killing animals isn't necessary to enjoy meaty food now and then (much cheaper to cook Indian food on the regular, but a common argument against going veg is the "but I'll miss it" aspect, and some of the higher quality mock meats answer that well).
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:07 pm Have you tried out any mock meats, like beyond meat, in cooking at home?
I've suggested trying them, but based on the response they would be immediately deemed to be unappetizing (regardless of actual taste. Just kinda know here)

Maybe I'll be a little sneakier and see if I can make a switch for a meal or two.

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PsYcHo wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:04 am
brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:07 pm Have you tried out any mock meats, like beyond meat, in cooking at home?
I've suggested trying them, but based on the response they would be immediately deemed to be unappetizing (regardless of actual taste. Just kinda know here)

Maybe I'll be a little sneakier and see if I can make a switch for a meal or two.
I would say tacos with the beyond meat crumbles would be the easiest, since you add so much spice and there are other things going on there which make it very hard to notice.

Have you showed her any videos of the impossible burger? Is she potentially interested in that?
Vegetarians don't usually even like it because it's too meaty.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

So this might be worth starting a thread about, but for now I think it's just worth mentioning. (Active recruitment vs. passive recruitment)

My partner has just recently suggested that they want to go Vegetarian. :D (Dairy is a big part of their/my diet)

After I started changing my own diet, they weren't on board, but since I still cooked carnist meals, it wasn't an issue. (as far as our relationship goes)

My partner looked into it, and saw the health benefits of a meatless diet. (I was more concerned about morality, since I still drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney)

Also to my amazement, our local grocery store has a Vegan section! It's only four foot wide, but still, they have mock meats and cheese that I think can help convert (to a degree, I know my partner won't go 100%... yet) my partner to a more ethical diet.

Taxation is theft.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

Does Buddhism celebrate apathy? Do Buddhists try to do anything for the common good?